• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on gun sights

Ken56

My Taurus PT111 has the factory Heinie sights on it but I find the little white dots get pretty dirty and hard to see. Plus these older eyes are starting to need a little bigger dot to focus on. I would like to know what others have done. I have looked on line at the SURE SIGHT (triangle thing) and the XS sight (big dot) for a front sight. I'm just not sure what to do here. suggest away please. thanks in advance.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Get yourself to a gun store and try out some of those sights to see which seems to work well for you.

My situation is that I can either put on my reading glasses and see the sights, but will not be able to see the target, or leaving the glasses off I can see the target but not the sights. Guess which I consider more important?

Since I'm probably never going to have enough time to pull out the reading glasses and set them on my nose, I train in point shooting (also known by lots of other less-stigmatized names). I'm deadly accurate out to 20 yards, which should cover almost any situation I find myself in where I need to shoot something RFN. Out beyond 20 yards I'm less likely to decide to shoot, but I can miss you close enough to make you want to keep your head down instead of shooting at me.

Your mileage and decision will of course vary based on your personal circumstances, as well as the training and practice you are willing to put into whatever decision you make.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sights?

Think, point, click - scan for other threats.

If time enough and a need, activate laser.

Next question.

Ken56

Thanks for the input. I get the fact that in a critical situation alot goes out the window, like puttin' the dot where it belongs. Still, inorder to be effective that dot has to get close to where you want it to go, or don't be pullin the trigger. I may be overly concerned I don't know. I suppose it goes back to training, training, training. I see a visit to the range comming soon. lol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the input. I get the fact that in a critical situation alot goes out the window, like puttin' the dot where it belongs. Still, inorder to be effective that dot has to get close to where you want it to go, or don't be pullin the trigger. I may be overly concerned I don't know. I suppose it goes back to training, training, training. I see a visit to the range comming soon. lol.

No better training than reactive point shooting - hand/eye coordination coupled with muscle memory. At 3 - 7 yds every shot should be in the ten ring. Accuracy first, then speed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It all depends on why you are shooting. Bullseye has a different set of techniques than are used for EDC SD work. I don't do formal IDPA/IPSIC type games but use a lot of their scenarios for training, which can combine things like the extra time to put on/take off my glassses while using cover so I can make the required shot. Since I'm not in it for the competition I'll take the extra time without complaint.

Figure out what you want/need to do the most and set yourself up for the best way to accomplish that. But always remember that life will never give you textbook scenarios to resolve, so train for as many possibilities as you can.

stay safe.

Yard Sale

Black is beautiful. But invisible at night, so I like a tritium front. Dots, triangles, lines, whatever, will only slow you down and make you less accurate.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I may be able to answer that one. People who train to sights tend to use them in an emergency.

Train the way you fight, fight the way you train. Yeah, I believe that is true. Using sights in an emergency (fire/return fire) slows you down.

Think, point, click - scan for other threats. Yeah, I know that's true. In an emergency you fall back on how you train. Do you train to "point and shoot"? I do. My last magazine as I leave the range is a point and shoot at an urban combat distance (you mileage may vary). You have to keep you skills up. I am a bit persistent with this kind of CQB training. I live in an urban environment now so I train for it. Something I do when I train for this is to attach a line level to my carry weapon. I tack it right up there on the slide with a gob of that clear tape. It cleans off. I wear a holster on my right side so I take my SAFED pistol w/level attached and go from right hand low to a snap fire position. I do this over and over as I walk thru my house with my little dogs. This gives me muscle memory to repeatedly draw my weapon and return to a level, consistent firing position. When I "point and shoot, I want to point and shoot at the same spot over and over. Thats just me. I have a lot of free time on my hands.

On those sights. Sights are handy when you have the time and cover to aim. I like sights. About those nite sights tho. Now this is my personal opinion, gleaned from those many moments out in the bush, making every mistake in the book. So you take it with a grain of salt. eh mate? If there is not enough light to see your sites, you can't see the bloody target, and if you have enough light to see the target, you don't need the bloody nite sites. They do look tacticool tho.

For those of you who are living in the City, these sights may help in your endeavors.

Ken56

You have all offered good suggestions and advice. Thanks to all. The biggest problem I have is the front sight.... that little dot gets all dirty during the week and makes it hard to see even tho I clean it almost every other day. I'm just thinking a bigger dot like the XS will provide a quicker acquisition and would take a bit more dirt/ lint to obscure it. Granted, at a SD distance, sight acquisition is not the first thing one should be concerned about.

I remember a news story about 2 campus police officers, don't remember where, that got into their own little gun fight with EACH OTHER, at a distance of the width of their car. NEITHER ONE WAS HIT. Now, I know you can't fix stupid but, if you can't hit what your shooting at, especially a bad guy, then I'm not so sure you should be armed. I would hate to hit an innocent.

Gil223

I've been through pretty much the same thing. (I didn't know it at the time, but my deteriorating vision was caused by cataracts in both eyes - 2 in my master eye [1 anterior and 1 posterior cataract] and one in my left eye. Since corrected) My immediate reaction was Laser Max for my Glock 17, and Crimson Trace laser grips for my Ruger LCR. Both were effective and accurate on the range in dim lighting, BUT... not worth a damn in daylight. Then I hit upon Hi Viz Sights, which are small, brightly colored, transparent light pipes that concentrate whatever light is available. I replaced the front sight on my G26 with one (http://www.hivizsights.com/products/handgun-sights/taurus.html). Works great in broad daylight, even when overcast or cloudy, but not much good after dusk unless there is some source of artificial lighting available close by. Both work very well if one can accept their limitations. I also have a full set of Trijicon sights on my Kahr K-9, and that seems to be the best all around idea - for me, anyway. Trijicon's are considerably less expensive than either of the lasers, but more expensive than the Hi Viz. The Trijicons provide greater 24/7 usability than lasers or the light pipes. Expect to replace Trijicons in 5-7 years though. Hope this was helpful to you - Pax...

Last edited: