• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Form 4473 Update

zack991

As of July 9, 2012 the form 4473 used when purchasing a gun will change slightly. Figured I would pass it on. http://www.weapon-blog.com/?p=2610

Be sure to check out http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/atf-f-4473-draft-121911.pdf for the details.

This was listed on the ATF's website

Sample of Revised ATF Form 4473

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) published Open Letters on December 8, 2011 and December 22, 2011, advising Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) of upcoming changes to regulations in 27 C.F.R. Part 478 relating to the definition of "State of residence" and the prohibitions relating to firearms possession by nonimmigrant aliens. The Open Letters also advised that the regulatory changes would be implemented through changes to ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.

The Office of Management and Budget has approved the revisions to the Form 4473 and has issued a control number under the Paperwork Reduction Act for the new and revised collections of information in the form. ATF anticipates that the two regulatory amendments will be published in the Federal Register within the near future. Although the amended Form 4473 may not be used to record firearms transactions until the regulatory amendments are published and in effect, we are publishing the form below. This will enable FFLs to become familiar with the changes to the form prior to the date when the form must be utilized to record firearms transactions. Well in advance of the effective date, ATF will provide Federal firearms licensees (FFL) with a stock of the revised forms and a letter to communicate the effective date for the implementing regulations. FFLs should monitor ATF’s website (www.atf.gov) for further information on the publication of the two regulations in the Federal Register and to determine the date those regulations become effective.

FFLs should continue to use the existing Form 4473, revised in August 2008, until the effective date of the regulations.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/atf-...from-4473.html

Last edited:

Jack House

So what changed? There's no comparison with the current form and I haven't seen one in eons.

Freedom1Man

twoskinsonemanns

So what changed? There's no comparison with the current form and I haven't seen one in eons.

I just saw one last week and can't immediately point out the difference. Of course the Yes, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO answering scheme required to pass has been unchanged so long I don't think I've actually read the thing in a LONG time.

PS. Dear ATF, J/K ;)

Jack House

Please cite the law that show they are to be used with in the 50 states in the first place. Once you can do that I MIGHT care.
Shows me an FFL that doesn't require you to fill out a form 4473 when purchasing a firearm, I dare you.

Freedom1Man

Shows me an FFL that doesn't require you to fill out a form 4473 when purchasing a firearm, I dare you.

Just because a private sales office does not know the law does not change the law.

Just like just because most idiots believe that a citizen is required to have/use a SSN does not make it so.

Just because a FFL requires you to does not mean the law does.

Last edited:

Jack House

The fact that there are zero FFLs that do not use F4473s makes your argument irrelevant.

If you feel this strongly about it, get a lawyer and take the issue to court.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The first F in FFL stands for Federal. They use forms provided by the Federal government's BATFE.

Okay, so can we get back to someone telling us what exactly changed so we all aren't individually going over previous and new forms with a microscope? I rarely buy new firearms from dealers.

Gil223

I believe that item 11h is new, and possibly 11k. I just filled one out about a week ago for my AK, and I don't recall the same wording of 11h being on it, and I'm not sure about 11k (I usually don't keep the illegal alien parts in my long-term memory). That one is stamped "DRAFT", so it's possible that it may (or may not) have been, or will be, revised in the final form. Pax...

Jack House

Question 10 is in two groups now, the wording for 11i and 12 have changed. Questions 20c and 20d have been removed.

See this album for comparisons: http://imgur.com/a/iLqcZ

Note: I only looked at the questions and didn't bother much with the bigger blocks of text. I'll leave that to someone else. ;)

zack991

I am sorry I have not had a chance to look it over all the way myself, I was just passing it on from one of the many firearms blogs that I read. Sorry.

This was listed on the ATF's website

Sample of Revised ATF Form 4473

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) published Open Letters on December 8, 2011 and December 22, 2011, advising Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) of upcoming changes to regulations in 27 C.F.R. Part 478 relating to the definition of "State of residence" and the prohibitions relating to firearms possession by nonimmigrant aliens. The Open Letters also advised that the regulatory changes would be implemented through changes to ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.

The Office of Management and Budget has approved the revisions to the Form 4473 and has issued a control number under the Paperwork Reduction Act for the new and revised collections of information in the form. ATF anticipates that the two regulatory amendments will be published in the Federal Register within the near future. Although the amended Form 4473 may not be used to record firearms transactions until the regulatory amendments are published and in effect, we are publishing the form below. This will enable FFLs to become familiar with the changes to the form prior to the date when the form must be utilized to record firearms transactions. Well in advance of the effective date, ATF will provide Federal firearms licensees (FFL) with a stock of the revised forms and a letter to communicate the effective date for the implementing regulations. FFLs should monitor ATF’s website (www.atf.gov) for further information on the publication of the two regulations in the Federal Register and to determine the date those regulations become effective.

FFLs should continue to use the existing Form 4473, revised in August 2008, until the effective date of the regulations.

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/atf-revised-from-4473.html

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

The first F in FFL stands for Federal. They use forms provided by the Federal government's BATFE.

Okay, so can we get back to someone telling us what exactly changed so we all aren't individually going over previous and new forms with a microscope? I rarely buy new firearms from dealers.

Considering that form is creating a de facto licensing requirement to buy a gun from a licensed seller.

Try buying a gun from a dealer without a government issued ID card. The government controls the issue of the ID card and the data that is stored in their 'insta check' system.

The problem is that I would have to sue a or many gun a store to have this problem corrected. Suing the ATF would be a pointless run.