• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CEO of Publishers of NY gun owners names lives in NoVa

crazydude6030

Guys, I'm a great believer in 2 wrongs making me feel great....BUT do you really want to sink below their level.
Just a thought since I don't have a dog in this fight either.

It is an opportunity to educate a person who can stop this madness. It’s easy to read a letter from a few ticked off gun owners, but it’s another to ignore someone knocking on the front door because of the presses carelessness.

Sinking to their level, well I guess that’s already been done with the addresses being published. What options do we have to really make our point though?

• Protest at locations?
• Write letters to work and personal addresses?
• Ignore the issue?
• Visit them in person explaining gun owners concerns?
• Legal action?

Peter, I know you been around the block a few times (and in most ways wiser than I), but just because you do not have a permit doesn’t mean this won’t or can’t affect you down the road.

I'm not suggesting we go grab pitch forks and tourches and scream for blood, but i think a knock on his front door and a kind word might put things in prospective.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sinking to their level, well I guess that’s already been done with the addresses being published. What options do we have to really make our point though?

I agree that was a great move.

Peter, I know you been around the block a few times (and in most ways wiser than I), but just because you do not have a permit doesn’t mean this won’t or can’t affect you down the road.

That's a tough one. Years ago I was in every trench that had been dug. Now I only have so much time and energy to dedicate and I didn't draw the line in the sand.
There is a whole world of behind closed doors whizzing going on and unless I get splattered, I don't have the time for it.

Now I completely agree that publishing the map was a cheap and disgusting stunt. BUT and this is a big BUT, Government in the sunshine laws aren't new and what they did was legal. I've warned about that and other problems associated with permits in the past, so it's not news. You knew it was a danger when you got your CHP's. The more you use that CHP to push for special perks, the more the anti's are going to abuse the existing laws to further their agenda. That's gonna get the flies buzzing again, but facts is facts.

What you should do is change the law and do it right. Instead of getting half of the law changed (Which was done) and then bragging on what a GREAT victory it was, then letting the other half go. Put it on next years agenda, then the next, so on, until you get it completed.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It is an opportunity to educate a person who can stop this madness. It’s easy to read a letter from a few ticked off gun owners, but it’s another to ignore someone knocking on the front door because of the presses carelessness.

• Protest at locations?
• Write letters to work and personal addresses?
• Ignore the issue?
• Visit them in person explaining gun owners concerns?
• Legal action?

I'm not suggesting we go grab pitch forks and tourches and scream for blood, but i think a knock on his front door and a kind word might put things in prospective.

Just a little more on this. If you knock on their doors and say hello, they will call the cops and you will be described as terrorists in the next publication.

If you had a hundred people to stand on the sidewalk in front, it would be effective.

I'm not even saying don't do it, just saying ...think about it first.

crazydude6030

Now I completely agree that publishing the map was a cheap and disgusting stunt. BUT and this is a big BUT, Government in the sunshine laws aren't new and what they did was legal. I've warned about that and other problems associated with permits in the past, so it's not news. You knew it was a danger when you got your CHP's. The more you use that CHP to push for special perks, the more the anti's are going to abuse the existing laws to further their agenda. That's gonna get the flies buzzing again, but facts is facts.

Hold on here big fella, this list the paper is publishing is for permints not the conceal carry kind. Its my understanding you have to have a "pistol permit" to own a handgun and that may or may not entitle you to carry said pistol around with you (depends on the stamps or markings on it). From what I can tell these paper is basicly doing the oppisite of this sign

http://r-u-nobama.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-neighbor-wants-to-ban-all-guns.html

This isnt just about permits this is about some personal mission to get people to knock on the doors of gun owners or rob them. This isnt just a P4P or a CHP issue.

MKEgal

Some critics retaliated by posting reporters' and editors' addresses and other personal information online.
Howard Good, a journalism professor ... called the critics' response childish and petulant.
"It doesn't move the issue of gun control to the level of intelligent public discussion," he said. "Instead, it transforms what should be a rational public debate on a contentious issue into ugly gutter fighting."
Not to sound like a 5yo, but they started it.
Sauce for the goose, turnabout is fair play, let's see how they like it, etc.

NoVaJohn said:
Did they post the names of Domestic Violence victims?
...they must have KNOWN that they would be putting these peoples' lives in danger like they had done in VA.
Yes, they did post names & addresses of DV victims who had been hiding from their abusers.
One pro-gun reporter said he'd gotten calls & emails from several such women, worried that now they were targets again.
And yes, they knew exactly what would happen when they published that information, 'cause they'd done it before, with exactly the same result they got this time, only not as fast 'cause social media is in place this time.

Tanner said:
The "whole concept" is implied in the conversation! I dont think it is that unclear what I meant.
Citizen said:
Your a$$ still didn't answer the question. Are you opposed to the publishing of gun owner names and locations, dissemination of the publishers' personal info, or both?
I have the same question, because Tanner's statement can be taken both ways. No, it's not clear what you meant. Your statement was ambiguous, which is why we're asking for clarification. Getting pi$$y about it won't make your position any clearer. You could have clarified instead of being a smart-alec.

peter nap said:
If you had a hundred people to stand on the sidewalk in front, it would be effective.
I like that idea. The sidewalk is public property. Walking a picket line with signs explaining exactly why you're there, what wrong was committed that you are protesting, I think would be very effective. Have a few people around the clock for a couple weeks at the home of the reporter, the editors, the CEO...

Last edited:

crazydude6030

Just a little more on this. If you knock on their doors and say hello, they will call the cops and you will be described as terrorists in the next publication.

I'm not even saying don't do it, just saying ...think about it first.

No risk no reward

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hold on here big fella, this list the paper is publishing is for permints not the conceal carry kind. Its my understanding you have to have a "pistol permit" to own a handgun and that may or may not entitle you to carry said pistol around with you (depends on the stamps or markings on it). From what I can tell these paper is basicly doing the oppisite of this sign

http://r-u-nobama.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-neighbor-wants-to-ban-all-guns.html

This isnt just about permits this is about some personal mission to get people to knock on the doors of gun owners or rob them. This isnt just a P4P or a CHP issue.

That's true, but in Virginia there are no permits except CHP's here and those are the lists that have been published here.
I have a policy about not butting into other States Business.

AND...as I've said several times, I only made a suggestion. You don't need my permission to go knock on doors. Have at it!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2013/01/01/the-journal-news-is-armed-and-dangerous/:lol:
ROCKLAND COUNTY TIMES EXCLUSIVE

Armed guards from RGA Investigations have taken up post at the Journal News’ Rockland County headquarters
BY DYLAN SKRILOFF
Journal News' Rockland headquarters in West Nyack, Town of Clarkstown
Guns are good for the goose but NOT for the gander.
A Clarkstown police report issued on December 28, 2012, confirmed that The Journal News has hired armed security guards from New City-based RGA Investigations and that they are manning the newspaper’s Rockland County headquarters at 1 Crosfield Ave., West Nyack, through at least tomorrow, Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
According to police reports on public record, Journal News Rockland Editor Caryn A. McBride was alarmed by the volume of “negative correspondence,” namely an avalanche of phone calls and emails to the Journal News office, following the newspaper’s publishing of a map of all pistol permit holders in Rockland and Westchester.
Due to apparent safety concerns, the newspaper then decided to hire RGA Investigations to provide armed personnel to man the location.
Private investigator Richard Ayoob is the administrator of RGA. He told the Clarkstown Police on Friday, December 28 that there had been no problems on site at the Journal News headquarters despite the massive influx of phone calls and emails.
McBride had filed at least two reports with the Clarkstown Police Department due to perceived threats. However, the police did not find the communications in question actually threatening. Incident-Report 2012-00033099 describes McBride telling police she was worried because an email writer wondered “what McBride would get in her mail now.”
Police said the email “did not constitute an offense” and did not contain an actual threat.
The Journal News caused an international stir when they released an interactive map of pistol permit holders names and addresses in Rockland and Westchester counties last Sunday, December 23. The editors have said they believe knowing where guns are is in the public’s interest. The newspaper has also taken a strident editorial position in favor of strict gun control.
Rather than take the map down following the public uproar, the executive board at the Journal News has decided to “stick to their guns” and double-down on their original decision, as they have said a map listing all pistol permit holders in Putnam County will soon to be posted.
The controversial use of the Freedom of Information Act to create the interactive map may come back to bite the Journal News and others who would prefer that pistol permits remain public record.
New York State Senator Greg Ball has already introduced state legislation to make such records off-limits to the public and Rockland County legislators led by Frank Sparaco (R) will soon introduce a bipartisan-sponsored resolution with a similar intent.
It is not clear whether the negative reaction has threatened the Journal News’ true popularity as a news source. As an anecdotal piece of evidence, the Rockland County Times confirms receiving an influx of new subscribers who stated they cancelled their subscription to the Journal News due to the gun story.
The Rockland County Times has not investigated whether the Journal News’ Westchester County headquarters in White Plains has beefed up security.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
ROCKLAND COUNTY TIMES EXCLUSIVE
Armed guards from RGA Investigations have taken up post at the Journal News’ Rockland County headquarters BY DYLAN SKRILOFF

Bwhahahahahahahahahahaa! What a buncha hypocrites!!

They get a buncha angry mail--but no threats--and they decide they gotta have protection!

Ahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahaaaa!!

Last edited:

Red Dawg

Well, my thought, and it is tongue in cheek, but...If I knew/know where there were people that were armed, I think that would be the last place I'd try to rob/break in to. Hasn't it been studied and proven thieves want the easy targets. Would you try to rob Peter Nap? Not only do we know he's always armed, but he has big guns. LOL...Hell, publishing the names and addresses of the gun guys might save some poor miscreant's life...

scouser

Well, my thought, and it is tongue in cheek, but...If I knew/know where there were people that were armed, I think that would be the last place I'd try to rob/break in to. Hasn't it been studied and proven thieves want the easy targets. Would you try to rob Peter Nap? Not only do we know he's always armed, but he has big guns. LOL...Hell, publishing the names and addresses of the gun guys might save some poor miscreant's life...

that's just one side of it. What about the person who has run from an abusive ex, hiding in a new home and they got a permit out of fear they may one day be found? Now that abusive ex can find them. There may be a very good reason (aside from the basic privacy issue) why some of those addresses should never have been published

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So far, I haven't seen anyone use the queen mother of tactics.
They list their Advertisers and Sponsors on their web site.
Auto Trader is one.....anyway, if each one gets volumes of mail that say we won't deal with them as long as they Advertise with the Journal news....The Journal News will blink.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
So far, I haven't seen anyone use the queen mother of tactics.
They list their Advertisers and Sponsors on their web site.
Auto Trader is one.....anyway, if each one gets volumes of mail that say we won't deal with them as long as they Advertise with the Journal news....The Journal News will blink.

This is a good idea. I'm game, if folks want to join me.

Tanner

Really?

"The whole concept " seems all inclusive to me. I disagree with the publication on every level. Should I say the same thing a million times using different words to be better understood? If I said the whole concept of cheating pissed me off would there be the same confusion? Or would someone wonder if I was ok with it in the event that you are in a different area code? At any rate I hope I cleared that up.

More on topic. I wonder if this will stop at NY or go more nation wide, god forbid federal regulation

OC for ME

Those poor souls desiring to be invisible to a ex to mitigate a future risk made a conscious decision to arm themselves, else why have a permit, will now be forced to consider the possible use of said arm(s) to defend themselves. It is a tough position to be placed in by formerly nameless faceless media types.

It will be interesting to witness any backlash against those nameless and faceless media types if a citizen is forced to defend themselves as a result of their formerly "secret" location being revealed by those formerly nameless and faceless media types.