• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife Carry

cheezhed

Just wanted to know if someone one this forum knows if there is a blade length limit or type of blade
on a knife if one has a concealed carry license. I have a knife that I may want to carry and it has a fixed seven
inch blade & is sharpened on both sides of the blade. It is a Ontario Spec one Marine survival knife. If no one
knows can I be directed to a site where perhaps I can find out? Thanks in advance

oliverclotheshoff

i dont think there is a stated,defined max length per the state i may be wrong and someone would/should correct me if am if you hear of a max blade length limit that is a local ordinance like city of reedsburg has a 3.5" max blade length ordinance any thing longer is a crime to posses/carry penalties i do not know and likewise i dont know if the CCW laws have any sway on the blade length laws so really you have to check with your local PD's but im sure others will chime in on the CCW part

protias

The state does not define a blade length. There are many municipalities that do. Generally speaking, if it is 3" or less, you are fine.

Firearms Iinstuctor

That as always been the problem with Wis law never did define what a CCW was. So if a LEO wanted to you could be charged with CCW for haveing a screw driver or ay other device that e could or would consider to be a weapon.

Where I would most likely get away with a 9 inch bowie up north you could go to jail down south for it. Even if we were both going to use it to cut brush for a deer blind.

anmut

Any knife (except automatics and butterflys) with a CCL, under a certain length for it to be concealed, any length if "open carried." Automatics and butterfly knives are completely illegal. Couldn't cite any specifics for you but this is what my knowledge is from research in the past.

Personally I find it funny that with a CCL I can carry a hidden AK-47 but a "butterfly knife" is still off limits. I think someone a long time ago watched West Side Story too many times...

pkbites

Personally I find it funny that with a CCL I can carry a hidden AK-47 but a "butterfly knife" is still off limits.

Unless it's an AK-47 pistol you can't.

From Wisconsin 175.60:
(j) “Weapon” means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

But I agree the prohibition against switchblades and butterfly knives is totally bizarre! Even on duty cops can't possess them!

anmut

Unless it's an AK-47 pistol you can't.

From Wisconsin 175.60:
(j) “Weapon” means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

But I agree the prohibition against switchblades and butterfly knives is totally bizarre! Even on duty cops can't possess them!

Yes, that is what I meant.

Interceptor_Knight

Just wanted to know if someone one this forum knows if there is a blade length limit or type of blade
on a knife if one has a concealed carry license. I have a knife that I may want to carry and it has a fixed seven
inch blade & is sharpened on both sides of the blade. It is a Ontario Spec one Marine survival knife. If no one
knows can I be directed to a site where perhaps I can find out? Thanks in advance

There are no restrictions on what kind of knife you may carry except for switchblades. Your Spec One Marine survival knife is legal because it is not prohibited.
941.24  Possession of switchblade knife.
(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer.

Last edited:

anmut

There are no restrictions on what kind of knife you may carry except for switchblades. Your Spec One Marine survival knife is legal because it is not prohibited.

"by thrust or movement"

Isn't that how ALL LOCK BLADES OPEN? You use the movement in your finger via a thrusting force to open the knife. Lawmakers LACK common sense!

cheezhed

The reason that I went with a fixed blade knife was because of
the vagueness of how a folding knife opens in the law and that
it could be interpreted in weird ways. Thanks for the input.

MKEgal

anmut said:
Any knife (except automatics and butterflys) with a CCL, under a certain length for it to be concealed, any length if "open carried."
I've never seen anything in state law referring to the length of knife which can legally be carried, either way.

anmut said:
Lawmakers LACK common sense!
This is news? :rolleyes: :lol:

Interceptor_Knight

That as always been the problem with Wis law never did define what a CCW was. So if a LEO wanted to you could be charged with CCW for haveing a screw driver or ay other device that e could or would consider to be a weapon.

Where I would most likely get away with a 9 inch bowie up north you could go to jail down south for it. Even if we were both going to use it to cut brush for a deer blind.
WI Law defines a dangerous weapon as---
(10) "Dangerous weapon" means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded; any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm; any ligature or other instrumentality used on the throat, neck, nose, or mouth of another person to impede, partially or completely, breathing or circulation of blood; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a); or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.
The Totality of circumstances would come into play whether or not you would be charged/convicted of CCW with a brush cutting tool in your car and/or on your person. I have never been patted down for a simple speeding ticket. If you were pulled over for suspicion of something more nefarious, the level of scrutiny would be greater.

I've never seen anything in state law referring to the length of knife which can legally be carried, either way.
There is not in spite of the fact that many people have assumed that there is. Just like there is no WI "law" against driving bare foot or with a police scanner in your car.

Last edited: