• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would this be considered Open Carry?

nacrawley190

I'm waiting for my CCW permit but my holster is here. I don't like being without my firearm. Would this be accepted as open carry?

ha5y5avy.jpg

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm waiting for my CCW permit but my holster is here. I don't like being without my firearm. Would this be accepted as open carry?

Welcome to OCDO nacrawley - lots of good people here.

Many questions are state specific. Presume because you posted this in the NC sub-forum you are in that state. Yep, that's OC - anyone can look at it and discern precisely what it is. Familiarize yourself with the NC laws as there are a few fishhooks.

nacrawley190

Welcome to OCDO nacrawley - lots of good people here.

Many questions are state specific. Presume because you posted this in the NC sub-forum you are in that state. Yep, that's OC - anyone can look at it and discern precisely what it is. Familiarize yourself with the NC laws as there are a few fishhooks.

Thanks. Where's the best place to find NC open carry law spelled out?

WalkingWolf

NC is a common law state, many things are not spelled out. If the gun is visible, not just printing, it is in the open. If a gun is printing even though under clothing it is concealed.

Personally for myself I do not want to carry IWB, I find it uncomfortable and unnecessary for me. For someone that switches between CC and OC it makes more sense.

Last edited:

solus

gentle greetings to the OC forum and for join'g the NC cadre who OC...

per your request and for your reading pleasure: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

NC AG's thoughts on firearms.

NC statutes can be located here: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

a personal nit...here in the Tarheel state, it is called a CHP, Concealed Handgun Permit.

(there will be a test later over all the material referenced here...:shocker:)

where do you hail from in the state as there some areas which have regular meet and greets and other areas not so much camaraderie...but again welcome...

ipse

nacrawley190

gentle greetings to the OC forum and for join'g the NC cadre who OC...

per your request and for your reading pleasure: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

NC AG's thoughts on firearms.

NC statutes can be located here: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

a personal nit...here in the Tarheel state, it is called a CHP, Concealed Handgun Permit.

(there will be a test later over all the material referenced here...:shocker:)

where do you hail from in the state as there some areas which have regular meet and greets and other areas not so much camaraderie...but again welcome...

ipse

Thank you.
I live in Rocky Mount.

Whiskey

Just from a tactical standpoint, I wouldn't want to OC in a holster without some positive retention. That looks like a hybrid, "Crossbreed" type holster, which gives you very little actual retention.

I know you didn't ask, but I offered anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

LawAbidingCitizen111

If you are in a car with OC, it's considered "concealed" even though it is carried open on your person according to the local police and magistrates in my neck of the woods.

The laws are clear for NC, but it all depends on what officer you come across and his or her interpretation of the law. It's sad really, many of those hired to enforce the laws do not even fully understand them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you are in a car with OC, it's considered "concealed" even though it is carried open on your person according to the local police and magistrates in my neck of the woods.

The laws are clear for NC, but it all depends on what officer you come across and his or her interpretation of the law. It's sad really, many of those hired to enforce the laws do not even fully understand them.
North Carolina is a traditional open carry state. You MAY open carry in a motor vehicle.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=282

Cannot remember the last time that anyone was charged with CC in their vehicle while OCing - it is a total non-issue in NC.

LawAbidingCitizen111

North Carolina is a traditional open carry state. You MAY open carry in a motor vehicle.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=282

Cannot remember the last time that anyone was charged with CC in their vehicle while OCing - it is a total non-issue in NC.

I was charged so it's still an issue in NC in some parts, especially small and or corrupt towns. I spent 2 years in court before it was dismissed and the "officer" was fired from the force.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was charged so it's still an issue in NC in some parts, especially small and or corrupt towns. I spent 2 years in court before it was dismissed and the "officer" was fired from the force.
Understand your dilemma, but the exception does not make the rule.

Were it me, there would be civil action pending.

LawAbidingCitizen111

Understand your dilemma, but the exception does not make the rule.

Were it me, there would be civil action pending.

Oh there is something civil pending for sure. I know about 90% of officers are good people to the OC and 2A community, but there's still about 10% out there spread across the state that may not care or fully understand your rights to bear arms. I was unfortunate in who I came in contact with, it is rare but it does happen.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I know about 90% of officers are good people to the OC and 2A community, but there's still about 10% out there spread across the state that may not care or fully understand your rights to bear arms...
I think there are very, very few officers who don't actually know the law. They may understand your rights just fine - but as long as there is little or no blowback from them enforcing their preferences,rather than the law, they will continue to do so.

LawAbidingCitizen111

I think there are very, very few officers who don't actually know the law. They may understand your rights just fine - but as long as there is little or no blowback from them enforcing their preferences,rather than the law, they will continue to do so.

I can agree with that one.

LawAbidingCitizen111

Looks fine until you start moving around during the day and the shirt starts to creep. Nothing wrong with that manner of carry as far as I am concerned, just letting you know what a cop could "claim" you trying to do.

Pretty much sums it up, it's better safe than sorry.