• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting issue in Hanover

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I went to Starbucks this afternoon and wasn't wearing my gun. it was on the car seat and I left it there. It was hot and that little navy blue car gets hot as the fires of hell in the sun, so I left the windows cracked..about 4 inches.

Anyway, I was sitting up front where I could see it just outside the door and a plain black car with a spotlight and the telltale antennas pulled up beside it. The cop got out and started walking around my car looking in. I had my Zoom 6 recorder on and was prepping it for an interview so I hit record and went out.

Another marked car pulled up and a young female Deputy whom I'd talked to before and has always (Including today) been pleasant.

The male deputy said "is this your car"?
"yes, is there a problem"
"I'm, here about the gun on the seat"

Anyway, the usual got ID, not going to show it to you.

At one point he kept saying a child could reach in and grab it......which wasn't true.

I told him that wasn't his job and he said "My job is what I say it is"

Oh really...."That's not true" "Your Job is to uphold the constitution of Virginia and enforce the code of Virginia".

He kept looking at the Zoom 6 which is a large professional recorder, like it was a snake.

Toward the last of the conversation, I said "Am I free to leave (although despite Users counseling I had no intention of going anywhere).

His answer was a little amusing ...."Yes you are free to leave, that would be awesome".
I rolled up the windows to about 2 inches and they went away.

I'll file the FOIA in person tomorrow to see how this was logged.

While Hanover has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years....it has a lot of baggage.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"My job is what I say it is." I swear, I wish RKBA groups or civil liberties groups had a fund for billboards. Comments like that cop's need to go up on a high-visibility billboard with the cop's name below.

<chuckle>

Corn for wild pigs.

Stale bread and pastry for bears.

Guns for arrogant cops. I woulda thought donuts, myself. But, whatever brings 'em in.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Baiting the field again Peter? :lol:

Course I unnerstand that you are not forcing them to eat what you cast, but there are those that are so pre-dict-able.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Baiting the field again Peter? :lol:

Course I unnerstand that you are not forcing them to eat what you cast, but there are those that are so pre-dict-able.

If my hunch is correct, the story might get a little more interesting. Stay tuned for Tuesdays chapter.

Maverick9

I was told way back when that you must leave the gun on the seat if you bought it and don't have a permit.

Sounds like someone reported you to the nice deputy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was told way back when that you must leave the gun on the seat if you bought it and don't have a permit.

Sounds like someone reported you to the nice deputy.

They did...an outtastater customer. The surprise is first they came into starbucks to complain. Stabucks told them it wasn't illegal.

The caller told the cops a child could get it....which is true, assuming the child was on a stepstool and had 4 foot arms no thicker than a newspaper.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
He kept looking at the Zoom 6 which is a large professional recorder, like it was a snake.

This may be what the deputy saw when he looked at you with your Zoom 6 cam in hand -

Note the strong similarity with your eyes :lol:

Your snake undoubtedly would be named Terry....... after our governor.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This may be what the deputy saw when he looked at you with your Zoom 6 cam in hand -

Your snake undoubtedly would be named Terry....... after our governor.

No resembelance at all. Or is it just that I'm not seeing it without the grass?

stay safe.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
They did...an outtastater customer. The surprise is first they came into starbucks to complain. Stabucks told them it wasn't illegal.

The caller told the cops a child could get it....which is true, assuming the child was on a stepstool and had 4 foot arms no thicker than a newspaper.

If the outtastater was so concerned, I wonder why they didn't try to pull it out and secure it themselves for the sake of the children? Dern people always making work for someone else.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If the outtastater was so concerned, I wonder why they didn't try to pull it out and secure it themselves for the sake of the children? Dern people always making work for someone else.
He didn't have the prerequisite tool - mental midgets require step stools.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No resembelance at all. Or is it just that I'm not seeing it without the grass?

stay safe.

Oh! I get it (finally).

Heh, heh, heh. Good one.

More coffee needed. Or, scotch. What the heck, why have two beverages? just put a few drops of coffee in the scotch.

:)

Last edited:

Brian D.

I would like to politely state one small point which may or may not be pertinent here: many times when car windows are partially rolled down, they are pretty easy to force down somewhat further without a huge amount of effort, or breaking anything.

Please understand this post in the non-confrontational spirit it is presented in.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Ok, I'm thinking, 15.2-915, here. Damages consisting of inconvenience and unnecessary detention merely to enforce a policy regarding nothing more than possession of a firearm. Against the deputy and the sheriff personally (a sheriff is personally responsible for the tortious acts of his deputies, as his personal agents, respondeat superior).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would like to politely state one small point which may or may not be pertinent here: many times when car windows are partially rolled down, they are pretty easy to force down somewhat further without a huge amount of effort, or breaking anything.

Please understand this post in the non-confrontational spirit it is presented in.
That may be true, but that which might happen is not a crime or suspicion of one.

Ok, I'm thinking, 15.2-915, here. Damages consisting of inconvenience and unnecessary detention merely to enforce a policy regarding nothing more than possession of a firearm. Against the deputy and the sheriff personally (a sheriff is personally responsible for the tortious acts of his deputies, as his personal agents, respondeat superior).
That would be consistent with your recommendation, with which I strongly concur, to vigorously pursue all actions, statutes et al that impede our G~d given RKBA.

I would support such a proceeding.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Except I wasn't detained Dan. I have part of the conversation up I'll send you a link to where I asked if I was being detained. By that time he was getting the idea I wasn't going to blow up as in disorderly...and I wasn't going to be bullied either, and he could plainly see the recorder being held interview style. I asked if I was being detained and he said you came to me. Then I said so I'm free to leave...and he said, yes..that would be awesome. ..kinda made me feel unwelcome.

Brian...coulda, woulda, shoulda. The car was 20 feet from me and I was sitting at a store front window with it in full view. I measured the opening a little while ago and it was down 3.25 inches. I can't get my arm through that so I rolled it down to where I could get my arm in and measured to where the gun was. 35 inches. Then I measured my arm fingertips to armpit. Right around 26 inches. Then I tried to reach the gun...no way without breaking the window.

The simple fact is that if someone had gotten it somehow, that's when the cop's job starts arresting the felon theif. His job is not being my nanny.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well....That was record time for an FOIA.

This email is in response to your request for records under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (the “Act”) received by this Office on May 7, 2015. You specifically referenced the response of "two Hanover Deputies on May 6, 2015 to investigate a gun in a parked car at Starbucks parking lot, 7297 Battle Hill Dr, Mechanicsville, VA 23111." You requested:

1. “All written text correspondence and reports either transmitted electronically or hardcopy, concerning that particular call.”
Please be advised that the Sheriff’s Office does not possess any such records. Pursuant to Virginia Code 2.2-3704 (B) (3), I would suggest that you contact the Hanover County Emergency Communications Center. They can be contacted at:

Hanover County Emergency Communications Center
7501 Library Drive
Hanover, VA 23069
Phone: (804) 365-6140

2. “The last name, first and middle initial and rank of both Deputies responding.”
· Sergeant XXXXXX
· Deputy XXXXXXXX

The Virginia Freedom of Information Act permits the County to make reasonable charges for the search time expended in supplying requested records. However, in the interest of public relations, the fees associated with this particular request have been waived. In the meantime, should you have any questions, please contact me
by phone or email, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.