• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to transfer 2 rifles to my son

rodbender

I've got 2 rifles that I want to give to my son in Lychburg. Can anyone direct me to a FFL in that area that will take shipments from a private party?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know abot an FFL in the area but if I'm not mistaken, you can ship them to yourself at that address for your son to hold until you arrive.

zoom6zoom

There are a few shops in town, the only one I have dealt with is Ace Hardware & Guns.
2200 Lakeside Dr
Lynchburg, VA 24501-6702
(434) 385-6388

Don't know how they are on transfers, have only dealt in person. Regardless of whether the OP ships the guns or carries them himself, for interstate transfers of ownership he'll have to go through a Virginia FFL to be completely legal. Stupid law, but the law nonetheless.

Of course, if they happened to be over fifty years old, and the son has a C&R license (thirty bucks) he could ship them directly to his son.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I assume by TRANSFER you mean ship. If they are your SONS property.. just ship them back to him as per his request.

How silly of me. I was thinking he was going to use them himself whenever he came over to visit his son.:idea:

zoom6zoom

Play all the semantic games you like. Someone else googles this thread and says, hey it's OK, and you've gone and got them committing a felony.

They are residents of different states at the time of the transfer (gift or purchase makes no difference. To be legal it must go through an FFL dealer. For long guns it can be a dealer in either state, for handguns the FFL must be in the receiver's state.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Play all the semantic games you like. Someone else googles this thread and says, hey it's OK, and you've gone and got them committing a felony.

They are residents of different states at the time of the transfer (gift or purchase makes no difference. To be legal it must go through an FFL dealer. For long guns it can be a dealer in either state, for handguns the FFL must be in the receiver's state.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Just trying to give the options for any particular circumstance Zoom. He could have given them to him 20 years ago and has just been storing them for him or he may want to store them at his sons for his own use.

Those aren't word games, it's law. No one here would sugguest breaking the law, but I doubt anyone would advocate transferring if it had already been legally done FTF or if he was only shipping them for future use.

The OP is intelligent enough to know that and no matter who reads it, it's legal.

45acpForMe

Since there is no gun registration, I would think if a father wanted to give his son a couple rifles that there would be no transfer/paperwork EXCEPT that he wants to ship them.

Since he was shipping them his son would need to be above 21 to receive them via the FFL. An FFL would make his son fill out the forms as if he were purchasing the guns and run a check to see if he was in the bad-guy database then collect the transfer fee and give the son the guns.

I believe that if the father drove to VA and gave his son the rifles no paperwork would be needed at least in VA. I guess other states may have other more restrictive laws.

I poked around the ATF webpage and didn't see anything for "family" transfers or the like. I was annoyed to see on their "official" website "Brady" reports!

user

Accomplished Advocate
Transfer title to the guns from you to your son in Texas (assuming it's legal there, I wouldn't know, not licensed in Tx). Draft a bill of sale form, and get your signature notarized in Texas. Make two originals, one for you to keep and one to put in the box. You can then lawfully mail your son HIS rifles to him in Virginia. Yes, I said "mail". They do have to be unloaded and not shipped with any ammunition.

You're supposed to tell the USPS clerks what's in the box and they've got the right to open it to make sure they're unloaded. But do not place any indication on the box that suggests there's a gun inside. Best to have the bolt removed, mazazines out, or action open, as appropriate so they can go through the x ray machine without causing suspicions. If the clerks raise a fuss, ask them to consult the USPS publication called "The Domestic Mail Manual".

Last edited:

rodbender

I don't want to skip the good guy/bad guy check. Really can't afford to for his sake. He works for a government contractor that is security sensitive and he might not have a job if for whatever reason they find out we skipped the formalities. I really don't like it any more than the next guy, but I need to protect his livelihood. All I need is a FFL that accepts shipments from a private party. I'll call Ace and MC on Tuesday.

Thanks guys.

rodbender

Anyone could justify involving Federal Law between a father and son for any reason.

It feels wrong. There is something fundamentally abhorrent about it.

I agree, but it is what it is. What're ya gonna do? 42 years of this crap and people expect that it's been here since the revolution. Not much chance of repealing it now. People think it prevents crime, but actually all it does is create crime. Paperwork crime by the FFLs. There are people doing time and some have lost everything over paperwork. It's a shame our "free" country has come to this.