• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Washington question

Sonora Rebel

I'm in bellingham area, liberal hippy retreat of the north, yet the only folks to harass me over my carry are the power tripping LEO's. The majority of the time people are very supportive of my carry.

Dunno why your LEO's are like that... They've all sworn to defend the Constitution... including the states' Doubtful many of 'em have ever bothered to read the state constitution tho if they're still doin' that stuff. Attitudes become endemic thuout LEA's tho 'n cops are just as likely to react on anecdotal info as anybody else. As I recall... it tended to rain a lot up there... (nasty weather).

Why is that liberals are usually the 1st people who'll tell ya that you can't do something?

FMCDH

Dunno why your LEO's are like that... They've all sworn to defend the Constitution... including the states' Doubtful many of 'em have ever bothered to read the state constitution tho if they're still doin' that stuff. Attitudes become endemic thuout LEA's tho 'n cops are just as likely to react on anecdotal info as anybody else. As I recall... it tended to rain a lot up there... (nasty weather).QUOTE]

It’s because the state doesn’t enforce or re-enforce the guardian ethos that they originally trained them to uphold. "Under color of law" is far too often allowed to be defined by the rules of the road instead of the law of the land.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. All Washington LEOs needs to be fully de-authoritized (my word) when they are off duty. If they are held to the same laws across the board as the people they serve, they will begin to understand what it is to be the common man on the street. Make them get CPLs like everyone else if they want to carry off duty, and hold them to not being able to carry in the same places. No badges or LEO id allowed to be carried off duty, and no arrest authority when off duty.

Not only will the LE culture change, but the type of person attracted to the profession will also shift. It won’t happen overnight, but things would change in everyone’s favor.

Society tends to forget that LEOs are civilians too, and should not be allowed to hold themselves apart from the civilian populous they are suppose to be serving and protecting.

Last edited:

amlevin

I consider LEOs as part of "society". :)

What you consider and what they consider may be two separate things. Go to some communities and the Leo's don't even socialize with anyone but other Leo's. Even refuse to live in the cities they work in and live in "enclaves" of other LEO's.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Dunno why your LEO's are like that... They've all sworn to defend the Constitution... including the states' Doubtful many of 'em have ever bothered to read the state constitution tho if they're still doin' that stuff. Attitudes become endemic thuout LEA's tho 'n cops are just as likely to react on anecdotal info as anybody else. As I recall... it tended to rain a lot up there... (nasty weather).

Why is that liberals are usually the 1st people who'll tell ya that you can't do something?

LOl...true that...

Unfortunately the attitude of many LEO here is they are your overlord and not your "servant". You would be amazed at how little of the laws or constitution they do know, and when they are in doubt you are the one to pay for it. The judges don't seem too much better in this town either.

A local biker who OC's was wearing a legal motorcycle helmet, (since our state decides to be a nanny state and protect you from yourself), got a ticket for an illegal helmet, and when he went to court the Judge didn't even bother to check if it was legal or not just asked the Officer's opinion and decided he was guilty.