• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry BBQ in Elgin, Tx

sultan62

0) You're in Virginia, what you you care?

1) We announced one here - and pulled it off - last year, and nobody was arrested or hurt. Debra Medina even showed up "illegally" wearing a (borrowed?) wheel gun on her hip (although I don't rightly recall if any of her posse was).

2) It shouldn't matter even from a moderator's standpoint, because he's not associating the OCDO name in any way with the event. Besides, nobody minded last year.

There was between 10 and 20 people at the last one, and besides being a bit cold, it was a good event.

I support both open carry and civil disobedience-btw I too am interested in exactly how this is going to work-is it on private property?

However, regarding number 2, see forum rules.

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Jack House

I'll definitely attend. With luck I might bring a friend or two and get him involved in the OC movement in Texas, if that is fine with you, Rodbender. ;)

Edit: @Sultan, IIRC, he will have a little designated for firing. Since he lives in the country, he can do this. That would possibly make it fully legal. However, I could totally talking out of my ass right now. lol *shrugs*

Last edited:

jsimmons

I support both open carry and civil disobedience-btw I too am interested in exactly how this is going to work-is it on private property?

However, regarding number 2, see forum rules.

Yes, it's on private property, and essentially out in the middle of nowhere. Somebody brought a belt-fed machine gun last year and propped it up on the table last year. Like last year, I'm sure there will be an area designated for un-holstering, but I don't think anyone took advantage of that last year.

It's not like we're going to go parading around the streets showing off our guns, or waving them around firing shots into the air. We all just sat around shooting the sh*t and laughing at the sheeple that were afraid to show up.

After all, Debra Medina showed up at the last one, and she was packin' a wheel gun. I'm sure she wouldn't have done anything illegal that would jeopardize her chances at being elected.

IMHO, everyone is fretting over a non-issue.

jsimmons

I'll definitely attend. With luck I might bring a friend or two and get him involved in the OC movement in Texas, if that is fine with you, Rodbender. ;)

Edit: @Sultan, IIRC, he will have a little designated for firing. Since he lives in the country, he can do this. That would possibly make it fully legal. However, I could totally talking out of my ass right now. lol *shrugs*

He's in the country, but unless he's made big changes to his property (or moved to a bigger plot of land), I don't think he'll have an area for shooting. He's to close to his neighbors.

Jack House

He's in the country, but unless he's made big changes to his property (or moved to a bigger plot of land), I don't think he'll have an area for shooting. He's to close to his neighbors.
Then I guess I was talking out of my ass. :lol: Must have confused a suggesting with a "this is what happened last time" over on TGT.

jsimmons

Then I guess I was talking out of my ass. :lol: Must have confused a suggesting with a "this is what happened last time" over on TGT.

Nope. I was there (one of the first to arrive, and one of the last to leave). Nobody fired a weapon, and there was no unholstering outside the designated area.

Like I said, this whole "is it legal" argument is moot and a non-issue.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Yes, it's on private property, and essentially out in the middle of nowhere. Somebody brought a belt-fed machine gun last year and propped it up on the table last year. Like last year, I'm sure there will be an area designated for un-holstering, but I don't think anyone took advantage of that last year.

It's not like we're going to go parading around the streets showing off our guns, or waving them around firing shots into the air. We all just sat around shooting the sh*t and laughing at the sheeple that were afraid to show up.

After all, Debra Medina showed up at the last one, and she was packin' a wheel gun. I'm sure she wouldn't have done anything illegal that would jeopardize her chances at being elected.

IMHO, everyone is fretting over a non-issue.

It was a belt fed semi-Auto. I fired it myself at a subsequent event a few weeks later with the TGT guy who brought it. (OOHRAH) I'll be there with bells on (and a gun too) this year as well.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Nope. I was there (one of the first to arrive, and one of the last to leave). Nobody fired a weapon, and there was no unholstering outside the designated area.

It was a really cool event. I met a bunch of people, and we all had a good time. RodBender and his family were great hosts. I just missed Medina though, but at least she waited to shoot herself in the foot until Glen Beck.

Jack House

I meant I must have confused someone's post saying 'this is what could happen' thinking they said 'this is what did happen'. lol

rodbender

Anybody coming to the OC BBQ needs to PM me with how many people you are bringing, including children. Yes, children are always welcome here. I will reply with my address. Use mapquest not googlemaps. Googlemaps is incorrect.

Edit: Bring some chairs for yourself. Be sure you take them when you go. I sell any left on ebay if you want them back.

Last edited:

rodbender

Ok, guys, I need to know if you are coming. So far I only have 3 PMs to confirm attendance. You will need my address to get here. You need to PM me (even if you were here last time) to get my address. I also need to know how many are coming with you. If you have PMed me and not received my address back in a reply, then you need to PM me again. If there are no more than this coming, there is no need to do this. I don't want to see a lot of food wasted. I don't want to rent tables and such and not have but a few show up. Please PM me if you are coming.

jsimmons

Ya know, I been thinkin'...

You might get more people at these BBQs if you hold them at sometime that is not the dead of winter... It was 34 degrees here in San Antonio this morning... maybe a September/October time frame would be more conducive to people sitting around in lawn chairs talking about guns. As I recall, last year's was in November, and it was pretty cold that day.

Just an idea for next year. :)

rodbender

Ya know, I been thinkin'...

You might get more people at these BBQs if you hold them at sometime that is not the dead of winter... It was 34 degrees here in San Antonio this morning... maybe a September/October time frame would be more conducive to people sitting around in lawn chairs talking about guns. As I recall, last year's was in November, and it was pretty cold that day.

Just an idea for next year. :)

I've been thinking about the same thing. Last year's was in October and it was a little chile. Not many have RSVPed and it looks like a low turn out. It is suppose to be clear with a high of 77, but this is Texas and you never know really what the weather will be. I'm going to postpone this until sometime in March. I think there will be a bigger turnout. Sorry, guys, it's just not working out for Dec. 4th.

rodbender

Sounds good RB, I hope you can shoot for a weekend close to the end of the month.

As soon as one more part comes in for my AR I'll be going to Lone Star in Lockhart. The BBQ wasn't meant to be anyway. My father-in-law had a mini-stroke last week and had to go to Houston for the weekend. I would have had to cancel last minute (Thursday) if I hadn't cancelled earlier.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
As soon as one more part comes in for my AR I'll be going to Lone Star in Lockhart. The BBQ wasn't meant to be anyway. My father-in-law had a mini-stroke last week and had to go to Houston for the weekend. I would have had to cancel last minute (Thursday) if I hadn't cancelled earlier.

Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law, my prayers go out for his speedy recovery. Looking forward to an event in the spring time.