• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Overview of OC laws in OH....?

GlockRDH

Can someone post a short synopsis of the OC laws in OH...I live in and OC in WI...I used to live in Columbus and get there ocasionally...Also planning on going to the Dayton Hamvention this year....OC allowed at Hara Arena? Just like to get an idea of OC restrictions, limitations as well as what my rights and responsibilities are in regards to LEOs/questioning etc....Thanks all..maybe Ill see you at Dayton! 73

aluminum3

There are NO laws in Ohio about Open Carry, Laws are for restricting, not allowing........

There are, however many laws about transporting firearms in vehicles in OH. Basically, no loaded long guns (loaded includes ANY loaded magazines for the long gun ANYWHERE in vehicle)

Also, If you do not have a valid CC permit/license, the same rules (above) apply to pistols/handguns ......

Deanimator

I realize that laws dont necessarily 'allow' but they do 'restrict'...hence my question...maybe the wording of my question was difficult...am i NOT allowed to carry at Hara Arena? Inside or outside?
As was noted previously, to the best of my knowledge, there are NOT any laws specifically restricting open carry.

Any particular venue MAY be a CPZ by virtue of:

1. Being a statutory CPZ, ie. government building, serves liquor by the drink, etc.
  2. Being clearly posted as a CPZ.
Around here, NONE of the grocery stores I've been to has been posted. None of the non-liquor serving fast food restaurants are. Few standalone businesses are.

The deli on the end of my block doesn't serve liquor, but is posted. One or two office buildings are posted. One was posted and DE-posted. Most of the malls are, but leaving the gun in your glove box is civil trespass, and only if they see it, unlikely unless you're waving it around. You must leave if asked.

Last edited:

rentamedic

I would like some help with your law in regards to CC. I have my CCDW here in KY and well be comeing up to columbus oh. Around aug for a wedding
1. what do i need to know when im driveing up there and around town?
2. can i carry in church ?
3. other then bars i know i cant CC there but what about restaurants?
4. when i get the date from my friend any of you from up there want to get to gather ?

JSlack7851

I would like some help with your law in regards to CC. I have my CCDW here in KY and well be coming up to Columbus oh. Around aug for a wedding

1. what do i need to know when I'm driving up there and around town?

When stopped by LEO, you need to inform them you are carrying.

2. can i carry in church ?

Only with permission of the Clergy.

3. other then bars i know i cant CC there but what about restaurants?

There is restaurant carry as long as they don't serve alcohol. AKA, Class D restriction.

4. when i get the date from my friend any of you from up there want to get to gather ?

Unknown......

aluminum3

The Church carry for a wedding is a greyish area....... If the family is paying to have the wedding at a church, technically, they would be the ones to ban or allow weapons..... the building itself is not a church unless an actual service is going on (like a regularly scheduled Sunday Service).

A private wedding is a rental of the building, not a church service. (Like I said, this is a grey area... IANAL)

Personally, if what I was wearing would conceal well.... I would carry and keep my mouth shut.......

Last edited: