• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show Oct 22,23 2011

smokeyburnout

Oct. 22 - 23, CT, 2011, Wallingford, Mountain Ridge Event Center, 350A High Hill Rd. Firearm & Knife Show. I-95N to I-91N to exit 15 (Durham), Take Rte 68 east, make a left at High Hill Road to end, T: 250-8'. Sat. 9am-5pm, Sun. 9am-3pm. Westchester Collectors, Inc., Carole, PO Box 406, Mahopac Falls, NY 10542. PH: 914-248-1000 or www.northeastgunshows.com

Figured I'd post it up and see if anyone might be going. I've never been to one and am curious what it's like.

KIX

I'm planning on going..... even gonna bring my pistol packin' mom!

I think she's looking to "accessorize"!

Jonathan

dcmdon

I've never been to one either! CC recommended I assume!? :p

Just make sure you lie to them when they ask if you have any loaded guns on yourself. I went into durham several years ago and was asked if I had any loaded handguns on my person. Being naive I removed my concealed gun and unloaded it. When the guy at the door went to check clear, he dropped it. Idiot. Fortunately it landed in a bucket of sand. Next time I will either leave it in the car, or just lie.

I understand their desire to ensure that all guns offered for sale are empty. But carry guns should be excluded.

Don

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Just make sure you lie to them when they ask if you have any loaded guns on yourself. I went into durham several years ago and was asked if I had any loaded handguns on my person. Being naive I removed my concealed gun and unloaded it. When the guy at the door went to check clear, he dropped it. Idiot. Fortunately it landed in a bucket of sand. Next time I will either leave it in the car, or just lie.

I understand their desire to ensure that all guns offered for sale are empty. But carry guns should be excluded.

Don

It's an insurance thing. They can't insure the show without the unloaded requirement. I hate it as well but no insurance=no show.

Rich B

It's an insurance thing. They can't insure the show without the unloaded requirement. I hate it as well but no insurance=no show.

If that was true, then drawing a loaded pistol from a holster and manipulating it in front of other patrons at the door would be way more of a liability.

I am not buying it. Do you have some sort of actual insurance document that expresses this?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If that was true, then drawing a loaded pistol from a holster and manipulating it in front of other patrons at the door would be way more of a liability.

I am not buying it. Do you have some sort of actual insurance document that expresses this?

No, I am just going off the numerous gun show websites that list this as the reason for the unloaded requirement. Not saying the reasoning is logical, just plausible.

KIX

I've seen the same thing.

The policy itself just says the dollar amounts, but there is a "rider", I think the document is called. Something that the underwriters add to the policy with stipulations. Underwriters make a call, many aren't "gun people" so they don't know any different.

I believe it, as I've seen it once out of state when I helped a show.

Sad, but this is indeed a litigious society. I tried to make the same argument...... but I was preaching to the choir. Without it, no policy. No policy, we had no hall rental.

Jonathan

dcmdon

Rich,
I think they are right. Its typically an insurance requirement. The ins co simply says "no loaded guns inside the show". They don't think that in practical application it creates danger when implemented as a practice.

Cabellas is different though. If you have a holstered, loaded gun, just leave it there and they are fine. The only guns they check for empty are the ones you are bringing into the store for other reasons.

Either way, being forced to clear a loaded weapon at the entrance to a gun show is a dangerous practice that should be avoided at all costs. How you choose to avoid this, whether by leaving the gun in the car, or lying is up to you.

Don

Rich B

Cabellas is different though. If you have a holstered, loaded gun, just leave it there and they are fine. The only guns they check for empty are the ones you are bringing into the store for other reasons.

This isn't entirely true though. We have had issues with Cabelas in the past. I agree it is not their policy however, just badly trained people.

Either way, being forced to clear a loaded weapon at the entrance to a gun show is a dangerous practice that should be avoided at all costs. How you choose to avoid this, whether by leaving the gun in the car, or lying is up to you.

A very stupid practice. I just avoid places that make stupid rules that could get me or someone else shot.

KIX

agreed.

I think we all know the only incident in a store of an accident was a check in.

However, every now and then, you hear of a gun show accident. Now, granted, I think it has NOTHING to do with what you are carrying (more like an idiot vendor or purchaser issue) however..... an underwriter that doesn't know better may think it's a viable and.... insurable..... liability.

I choose to look at it like the insurance company is getting their "vig".

Jonathan

dcmdon

One thing that may get overlooked in all of this is that I think it is TOTALLY appropriate to make people show clear, guns that they "know" to be unloaded. in other words, guns that are coming in the door for sale, display, or repair.

The same goes for guns coming into Cabelas for service or whatever reason. If a supposedly unloaded gun is coming into the store, its perfectly reasonable for them to check it and put a tie wrap through the ac

Last edited:

Rich B

One thing that may get overlooked in all of this is that I think it is TOTALLY appropriate to make people show clear, guns that they "know" to be unloaded. in other words, guns that are coming in the door for sale, display, or repair.

The same goes for guns coming into Cabelas for service or whatever reason. If a supposedly unloaded gun is coming into the store, its perfectly reasonable for them to check it and put a tie wrap through the ac

Agreed. And what is in the holster should always stay in the holster.

dcmdon

exactly.

The assumption also is that it STAYS in the holster.

So if you want to go holster shopping for a gun, it should come in empty and cased. They inspect, put a chamber flag or tie wrap on/in it, then you holster shop. Then it goes back into the case.

I was in a gun shop in NH where the guy took a gun out of his belt, cleared it, then proceeded to try on holsters. I kept my mouth shut.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

If you have never been to a Gun Show there may be some value in going.

If you are looking for some sort of obscure part for that old gun in your closet, you just might find it if you dig hard enough and the stars are properly aligned. Otherwise around here Gun Shows are nothing but high priced junk, over priced used guns, beef jerky and Nazi memorabilia.

dcmdon

I find its a great place to buy little supplies. The kind of stuff where you can buy it at Brownells for $5 but you end up paying $5 for shipping. I usually stock up on brass brushes in just the sizes I need. And tooth brushes with brass bristles. I've also found deals on magazines. I got some genuine USGI mags, still in the brown paper wrapper for my M1 carbine for $10 ea a couple of years ago.

With all that said, I'd only buy a gun there if I absolutely knew what it was worth. I've had friends who found guns they were looking for marked with prices 50% above what they were worth. When they approached the seller with a reasonable offer, a deal was done. So just because the asking price is crazy, doesn't mean yo can't get t a decent deal.

Don

dcmdon

I find its a great place to buy little supplies. The kind of stuff where you can buy it at Brownells for $5 but you end up paying $5 for shipping. I usually stock up on brass brushes in just the sizes I need. And tooth brushes with brass bristles. I've also found deals on magazines. I got some genuine USGI mags, still in the brown paper wrapper for my M1 carbine for $10 ea a couple of years ago.

With all that said, I'd only buy a gun there if I absolutely knew what it was worth. I've had friends who found guns they were looking for marked with prices 50% above what they were worth. When they approached the seller with a reasonable offer, a deal was done. So just because the asking price is crazy, doesn't mean yo can't get t a decent deal.

Don