• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Custom "gunsmith" sues forum and poster for bad review.

09jisaac

There isn't much details as of yet, but (as I understand it) Tactical Rifles of Florida is suing Marc Soulie of Spartan Precision Rifles for the "Bad out of the Box" youtube review.

Also named in the suit is the owners and moderator of Sniper's Hide, and Sniper's Hide LLC for allowing this bad review and others to be posted on their forum.

The boys over at SH seems to be pretty hard on TR.net and David Rooney (owner of TR.net), but it seems to be substantiated claims.

Expensive firearms (even for custom jobs), long wait times, poor craftsmanship, and bad customer service seems to be norm, according to SH posters.

This lawsuit seems to be very thinly stretched. Someone posts a bad review with support on a forum, time to get the lawyers involved.

SH Defense fund, and more of the story.

WalkingWolf

Maybe TR could put that money used for lawyers into quality control. The only problem I saw with the video was the title. Saying bad out of the box was not needed, just let the video speak for itself. But the reviewer/machinist certainly backed up the title.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Online reviews are subject to a civil suit ... the truth is an ultimate perfect defense. They'll have to prove a) that they disparaged something b) that it was false c) that they suffered an injury d) how much that injury was

Most folks don't bother ... especially businesses who don't want to air out and have the issue in the forefront for years.

SFCRetired

I don't think I've ever seen a new firearm in the shape that one was in. If I bought a weapon, dissembled it for cleaning/lubing, and it looked like that, I'd be looking for my money back.

Personal opinion: I don't think TR has a legal leg to stand on. This case will probably be tossed.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The case should be dismissed on a Civil Rule 12(b)(6) motion - failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.

A plaintiff's obligation is to provide the grounds of his entitlement for relief. The complaint requires more than labels and conclusions, or a recitation of the elements of a cause of action will not do. Factual allegations must be enough to raise a right for relief above the speculative level, on the assumption that all the allegations in the complaint are true.

09jisaac

Considering there is video documentary evidence to support every claim he made in that video, I doubt this suit will go anywhere.

I doubt it would either, but it is something I am going to keep an eye on.

I have seen things go the complete opposite than the way that reason would have thought it would.

sudden valley gunner

Some people :confused:

Paul Reed Smith if I can recall the story, wanted to make guitars, he made one sent it to Ted Nugent who said it was a horrible piece of *&$%. Paul Reed Smith made his guitars different and now I wish I could afford one of his great sounding well made beautiful guitars. He learned from criticism.

SFCRetired

Oops, I forgot we moved it to the members-only section because of its nature.

You can Google "SEI lawsuit", and you will be amazed.

I did and I was. SEI has shot itself in the foot bigtime! There were a host of comments from people who said that they would not patronize a company that sued its customers and quite a few saying they would send the money they were planning on using for an SEI product to Dr. Hammond to defend the lawsuit.