• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deputy mistakes daughter, 16, for intruder, shoots her as she snuck in through garage

OC for ME

WINCHESTER — The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office has identified the father who shot his 16-year-old daughter Tuesday as Easton McDonald.

http://www.winchesterstar.com/article/break813

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-garage-night-crashes-car-takes-hospital.html
Changed the title to reflect accurate information and to get the title to fit in the title box.

Shoots at a unknown humanoid shape in his garage, then turns the light on. :uhoh:

Expectation(s) is set to near zero, the deputy has already gone through so much. :rolleyes:

solus

Changed the title to reflect accurate information and to get the title to fit in the title box.

Shoots at a unknown humanoid shape in his garage, then turns the light on. :uhoh:

Expectation(s) is set to near zero, the deputy has already gone through so much. :rolleyes:

then he xports wounded daughter himself instead of waiting for ems?

me thinks he is bucking for an full pay retirement for stress related issues.

whew...

ipse

Last edited:

Maverick9

A cop so scared that he shoots first, then turns the light on? To me that implies he's sort of expecting a bad threat, maybe into something he shouldn't be. A stretch? Maybe, but I'm pretty sure from the safety of a doorway, I'd operate a light first. What happened to guts and patience in our public LE?

Primus

Here's something of substance:

Must be more of him trying to go out on stress related retirement or maybe he was fleeing other crack dealers....

Or back to reality lost his s"***** because he just shot his daughter. Nah that can't be it....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Must be more of him trying to go out on stress related retirement or maybe he was fleeing other crack dealers....

Or back to reality lost his s"***** because he just shot his daughter. Nah that can't be it....

I didn't suggest any motives.

I do think it's clear that this man has... issues with his control over dangerous machinery. I do hope the state doesn't persist in putting the liability of his continued employment on the backs of the citizenry.

Primus

I didn't suggest any motives.

I do think it's clear that this man has... issues with his control over dangerous machinery. I do hope the state doesn't persist in putting the liability of his continued employment on the backs of the citizenry.

Not sure the relation of his employment to what happened.

Because there ISNT. If the guy flipped burgers it probably wouldn't even be posted on here.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Because there ISNT. If the guy flipped burgers it probably wouldn't even be posted on here.

If a burger-flipper nearly killed his daughter with his spatula, would his profession not be an apropos topic of discussion on food service industry forums?

Primus

If a burger-flipper nearly killed his daughter with his spatula, would his profession not be an apropos topic of discussion on food service industry forums?

Oh is this a police forum? Crap I missed that.. I try to void those...

OC for ME

The deputies employment is absolutely relevant. The deputies training, as a deputy, has everything to do with his response to a "intruder" in his garage. He failed to ID his target. He failed to use the force continuum that he "may" have been taught. He failed to ID if there was a lethal threat to he or his. Cops are always held up, almost without exception by other cops, as better able to handle a firearm.

Watch more than a few youtube videos where cops "educate" OCers on the perils of OC.

Watch a youtube video where a cop (female) almost shoots a restrained and on the ground subject and/or her partner.
Watch a video of a DEA agent shooting himself in the foot right after he declares that only he is qualified to handle a firearm.
Read the accounts of a deputy who leaves a firearm out for his little kid to shoot herself.

No, his employment has everything to do with his act.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The thread is concerning guns, gun safety and happened in Virginia - it qualifies for inclusion.

I don't know the details, but IMHO he will never get over his mistake - sad for all.

OC for ME

...WHO IS THERE!!!

Simple, well, maybe not so simple after all. This deputy broke just about every "rule" in the book regarding the use of a firearm in the defense of family and home in my opinion.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have no idea how someone could consider the deputy was bucking for stress-related retirement - whatever that might mean.

I imagine that at this point he is looking at being charged and convicted of any of several felonies, which will get him off the force. He's also most likely already suspended from duty, and his handgun has been confiscated as evidence. On top of that, as has been noted, he has some serious personal issues to deal with

As for why he shot without first identifying the target and the threat it may have posed - It's too late for him but just might serve as a training moment for his department, if not all cops. Too bad I have low expectations of that actually happening.

Speaking of training moments - shooting at a shape in the dark only caused a survivable wound. If he had been able to see the peson he would have had a better chance of a solid "center mass"* hit - presuming what he saw actually caused him to apprehend a reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury.

stay safe.

* "center mass" is around the belly button. Much better to aim for the triangle consisting of the nipples to the center of the forehead.