• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sun Trust Bank goes no guns allowed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
After many, many years (35 +) with Sun Trust Bank, I have been told that they do not allow anyone other than LEOs to carry in the offices. Been OCing there all along and had many good conversations with the staff. No more.

Went up the food chain and received the same answer every time. They did not respond to me in writing, but rather through the branch manager verbally who also let me see her computer screen - no guns allowed except for law enforcement officers.

I am in the process of moving my accounts to 1st Union Bank & Trust who does not make that distinction/limitation.

Interestingly enough there was a bump in the road when I was at 1st Union yesterday where I already had 2 small accounts - the teller told me that it was against federal law to carry in a bank - his CHP instructor told him so. [head slap]

He has now been corrected by the corporate office (there is no such law) and the branch manager has welcomed me with open arms [pun intended]

The teller has apologized profusely. "No problem," I said and we had a nice conversation about taking legal advice from instructors and LEOs.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
So they jerked you around multiple times ....

Money talks, BS walks.

One of my banks said I could not do this or do that. When I immediately said I wanted to close my accounts then they did a complete 180. No "up the chain of command"...nor would I have gone "up the chain of command"...its not the military ~ its my money.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
I have noticed that there is a difference in how we (you and I) post.

BTW - I did not say "up the chain of command" - I said "up the food chain" which is well recognize internet slang for going to the next higher authority, managerial level - nothing about the military.

See Forum Rule #16 regarding quotes.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
After many, many years (35 +) with Sun Trust Bank, I have been told that they do not allow anyone other than LEOs to carry in the offices. Been OCing there all along and had many good conversations with the staff. No more.

Went up the food chain and received the same answer every time. They did not respond to me in writing, but rather through the branch manager verbally who also let me see her computer screen - no guns allowed except for law enforcement officers.

I am in the process of moving my accounts to 1st Union Bank & Trust who does not make that distinction/limitation.

Interestingly enough there was a bump in the road when I was at 1st Union yesterday where I already had 2 small accounts - the teller told me that it was against federal law to carry in a bank - his CHP instructor told him so. [head slap]

He has now been corrected by the corporate office (there is no such law) and the branch manager has welcomed me with open arms [pun intended]

The teller has apologized profusely. "No problem," I said and we had a nice conversation about taking legal advice from instructors and LEOs.

That has actually been policy for several years.

I sidestepped it in my local SunTrust with a new teller by being very polite, gently surprised, and ignoring it while also being friendly and saying hi to a veteran teller who knew me for years. That was three or four years ago.

The fact of the matter is that the veteran tellers who know you, me, and others like us, know we're the good guys. And, most of them will ignore lesser policy in order to forward more important policy--make money, get the deposit. I personally have made it a point to be personally friendly with certain loan officers* and all the tellers, joking, being playful, and being interested in them as an individual.** I'm not saying anybody should have to do that--I'm saying the tellers have never told me to leave. And only one teller--on rotation from a another branch--has ever mentioned the policy against carrying the means of self-defense. I strongly suspect most of them are a little bit more comfortable knowing we're there--instant free security--even if only for a few moments--against something possibly very bad.

So, my delicate advice to you--my old adversary--is to delicately, oh so delicately, ignore the invocation of policy and try again. Maybe with a different teller. Maybe without the gun the first couple times. Your call. I've done it. It works. The tellers with who you've built a relationship over the years are reluctant to offend you. They like you.

*This isn't directed at Grape; it is for all readers. Loan officers: At SunTrust, policy seems to be that the employee closest to the front door is required to say, "Hello. Welcome to SunTrust." That's not the tellers. That is one of the loan officers. Give them a warm hello or thank you. Comment on the weather. Comment on how busy they are. Anything. Just show you are engaged and that their notice of you worked.

**This is gold. I didn't develop it myself. I learned it at a time when I was lot more dense than I am today. It was taught to me by my customers--my customers taught me this. Certainly, I didn't figure it out for myself. I was too dumb and sure of myself and knew how to change the world at that age. Here it is: if you want a retail cashier--or any retail employee--on you side, whether right now or in nine weeks when you have that gray-area refund, simply do this. It is oh-so simple. And, oh, so hard. And, yet, oh-so easy: genuinely be interested in them as a human being. Just do it. Just figure out what to say or ask that goes beyond the immediate business relationship. Just comment, any comment will do. "Wow, you guys are slammed. How do you keep your sanity at a time like this?" Or, "Wow, I've never seen it so slow. Do you find it tedious when it is this slow?"

It doesn't matter what the question is. What matters is that you are taking a personal interest in them. Don't fake it--people can tell.

I'm telling you, this is gold. It works. All to he!! and back. Been doing it for nine years of OC. Where I do business, I'm known as the gun-guy. In a good way. And, it has literally been nine years since I was asked to leave a business. Nine years.

Be interested in that employee as an individual. Notice I didn't say "pretend to be interested". People can usually smell a fake.

Sometimes you'll get a person who can't believe you're not faking it. Or, they're in a bad mood. Just do it again the next time. Within a two or three visits, they will come to understand your interest is real. It takes a little bit of work sometimes. But, I can tell you this: the most "distant", in-his-own-world, employee who I first met at least six years ago, and who was transferred to another department four years ago, and doesn't even remember my name, still goes out of his way to say hi to me every single time we meet in his business.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That has actually been policy for several years.

I sidestepped it in my local SunTrust with a new teller by being very polite, gently surprised, and ignoring it while also being friendly and saying hi to a veteran teller who knew me for years. That was three or four years ago.

--snipped--.

So, my delicate advice to you--my old adversary--is to delicately, oh so delicately, ignore the invocation of policy and try again. Maybe with a different teller. Maybe without the gun the first couple times. Your call. I've done it. It works. The tellers with who you've built a relationship over the years are reluctant to offend you. They like you.
Was totally unaware of any change in their policy until this incident.

It wasn't a teller - was the branch manager with whom I had enjoyed a friendly relationship and who observed my OC regularly. I have nicely and politely been put on notice that I will be trespassed if I return armed.

Who knows - she (the manager) may have had her sensibilities offended by another gun carrier who wasn't so clean cut and pleasant. So in the interest of consistency invoked the rule/policy. It really doesn't make any difference why.

I could have change branches, but that would then be inconsistent on my part IMO, does nothing to right the condition, and would be selfishly motivated.

Bottom line Sun Trust is now as anti-gun as was the old Wachovia.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

It wasn't a teller - was the branch manager with whom I had enjoyed a friendly relationship and who observed my OC regularly. I have nicely and politely been put on notice that I will be trespassed if I return armed.

Who knows - she (the manager) may have had her sensibilities offended by another gun carrier who wasn't so clean cut and pleasant. So in the interest of consistency invoked the rule/policy. It really doesn't make any difference why.

I could have change branches, but that would then be inconsistent on my part IMO, does nothing to right the condition, and would be selfishly motivated.

Clearly the manager is a lizzurd. You are free to either a) ask for an exception to their "policy" for you (that I doubt they showed you anything substantial) or b) take your $516.32 and put it into another institution or under your mattress

Looks like you're going the (b) route ... maybe get a new toaster when opening up a new account.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Clearly the manager is a lizzurd. You are free to either a) ask for an exception to their "policy" for you (that I doubt they showed you anything substantial) or b) take your $516.32 and put it into another institution or under your mattress

Looks like you're going the (b) route ... maybe get a new toaster when opening up a new account.
Don't need a new account. Already have 2 with 1st Union Bank and Trust. One of these will become my primary checking with an additional credit/debit card. The other is a special use account.

The Sun Trust account will remain open with a minimum balance at least until after I arrange for a change in automatic deposits.

BTW - don't need a toaster. Still have the one I was given 40+ years ago and it works just fine thank you.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don't need a new account. Already have 2 with 1st Union Bank and Trust. One of these will become my primary checking with an additional credit/debit card. The other is a special use account.

The Sun Trust account will remain open with a minimum balance at least until after I arrange for a change in automatic deposits.

BTW - don't need a toaster. Still have the one I was given 40+ years ago and it works just fine thank you.

This style?
DSC_0302.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Well, yes. Totally true.

Separately, permit me to say, I understand your situation is different than mine. So, like I said, your call. And, while it annoys me to say it--my old adversary--I cannot disagree with your call.

Back to the bolded quote. Not just now, for years. At least 4 1/2 years. No-guns has been their policy for years, based on the comment I received from a teller mentioned above.

But, that still leaves a fine area for finesse. Just based on the fact that you yourself were not trespassed starting four years ago, and the fact that I successfully dodged the issue with tellers who knew me, leaves open a small opportunity for some. Not you--you got the notification you got. It sounds like your door is closed. But, others. Others may still have the opportunity to continue representing that OCers are good guys.

It would be a shame (to me) to close the slightly personal relationships I have with certain tellers and loan officers. I wouldn't want to force them into a position where they have to decide between their off-policy customer and their job.

I guess in a way I am saying that some OCers can still let sleeping dogs lie. If they wake up and start to bark, well, sure, you gotta deal with that bark and try to make friends. And, if they still keep barking, well, sure, you gotta move to the other side of the street.

I guess my point is that I see, for some OCers, this little, narrow slice of opportunity to continue the overall mission of OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I do very much agree with Citizen's suggested tactic of not abandoning SunTrust to the dark side. We need to being trying to reeducate those corporate entities to what they are really doing = creating fish in a barrel and what they are not doing = protecting anyone.

In my case, I do not desire a trespass charge on my record. Be assured though, I will find other ways to work on them.

since9

Campaign Veteran

I'm sorry to hear that, Grapeshot. I had a similar experience here in Colorado with Ent Federal Credit Union. I OC'd there from 2009 to 2013, without issue. One day they had a big "No Firearms" sign behind the glass next to the door of my branch office. I went to one of their main offices and found the same thing. I took it up the chain two levels where I encountered someone willing to listen to reason. The signs in all branches were gone in two days. Even so, several security guards approached me saying, "I am required to ask you to please leave your firearm at home or in your vehicle." I would thank them then ignore them. Two years later, I was told by the branch manager that I needed to stop OCing, but I could CC if I wanted. I switched banks, at which point I received a letter wherein they noted I was no longer direct-depositing my paycheck with them, was that an error? Would I like to fix it? I took the letterto the branch manager with a short, polite treatise on the logical fallacy of gun-free zones, concluding with statistics showing how allowing OC provides for the greatest deterrent and safest environment possible for both their employees and their customers. I sent a copy to each and every individual on up the chain where I discovered the single individual who keeps handing down the idiotic policy from on high, whereupon I took the matter to her boss along with a copy of my treatise. He agreed and promised there would be no more signs in the windows or security guards hampering my customer experience, and he was right. So far... It's only been a year.

Good luck with your own efforts along these lines. Calm persistence often pays off!

davidmcbeth

Banned
I do very much agree with Citizen's suggested tactic of not abandoning SunTrust to the dark side. We need to being trying to reeducate those corporate entities to what they are really doing = creating fish in a barrel and what they are not doing = protecting anyone.

In my case, I do not desire a trespass charge on my record. Be assured though, I will find other ways to work on them.

What have you done so far & have you had any success .... you already went up the food chain w/o luck.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I do not want to be an exception to that kind of insulting, anti-American, ignorant policy. If that is your policy, you do not deserve me (my money) as an exception to it.

Freedom1Man

I'm sorry to hear that, Grapeshot. I had a similar experience here in Colorado with Ent Federal Credit Union. I OC'd there from 2009 to 2013, without issue. One day they had a big "No Firearms" sign behind the glass next to the door of my branch office. I went to one of their main offices and found the same thing. I took it up the chain two levels where I encountered someone willing to listen to reason. The signs in all branches were gone in two days. Even so, several security guards approached me saying, "I am required to ask you to please leave your firearm at home or in your vehicle." I would thank them then ignore them. Two years later, I was told by the branch manager that I needed to stop OCing, but I could CC if I wanted. I switched banks, at which point I received a letter wherein they noted I was no longer direct-depositing my paycheck with them, was that an error? Would I like to fix it? I took the letterto the branch manager with a short, polite treatise on the logical fallacy of gun-free zones, concluding with statistics showing how allowing OC provides for the greatest deterrent and safest environment possible for both their employees and their customers. I sent a copy to each and every individual on up the chain where I discovered the single individual who keeps handing down the idiotic policy from on high, whereupon I took the matter to her boss along with a copy of my treatise. He agreed and promised there would be no more signs in the windows or security guards hampering my customer experience, and he was right. So far... It's only been a year.

Good luck with your own efforts along these lines. Calm persistence often pays off!
Commendable work. Nicely done, thank you.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I do not want to be an exception to that kind of insulting, anti-American, ignorant policy. If that is your policy, you do not deserve me (my money) as an exception to it.

That is truth.

They're fractional-reserve bankers.* They deserve to be put out of business as fast as possible. All of them. Every single one.

In the meantime, I promote self-defense rights as best I can. Even to the philistines, cannibals, parasites, and barbarians.

*(This is for all readers, not just MAC) Fractional-reserve bankers. Remember the elementary school explanation: the bank accepts Timmy's ten dollar birthday gift from grandma, keeps one dollar and loans out nine. That one dollar is the fraction that is reserved (reserved within the bank). It is a fraction of Timmy's total deposit. Thus, fractional-reserve.

That was fine as far as elementary school explanations go. The fact they didn't clear it up in high school is a crime.

The truth is that fractional-reserve bankers don't loan out the nine dollars of Timmy's money. They keep all ten, and create $90 more out of thin air to loan out. It is still the same ratio: nine-to-one. But, it is ten times the opportunity to earn interest on the loan.

Just as a side note. I am betting your elementary school teachers, while explaining keep-one-loan out-nine, did not also explain that was fraud. Yep, fraud I said, fraud I meant. In any other business or personal transaction in the world, if I give two people title to the same one piece of property, I go to prison for fraud. And, yet, that is exactly what fractional-reserve bankers do. Every day. Hourly.

How do they get away with it? With air-cover from government. You see, government wants to borrow, too. So, it legitimizes the fraud with statutes and court opinions. It is government's best interest to borrow. That way, government only has to tax enough to make the interest payment. If government could not borrow, it would have to tax the full amount. Depending on the source, the total promises of the US fedgov is between $45T and $53T. The reason the fedgov can get away with racking up that debt is because it only has to tax enough to pay the interest. If the government could not borrow, and had to tax the full amount of its spending, there would be an armed rebellion tomorrow morning.

Fractional-reserve bankers make that possible. This is very, very important. If you have the least question, please do not hesitate to PM me. I will supply as much information and source material as I can.