• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama picks a director for the ATF...

Tomas

Nearly two years into his term, President Obama on Monday chose a director for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Mr. Obama will submit the name of Andrew Traver, the special agent in charge of the bureau's Chicago field division, to the Senate for consideration, the White House said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/us/16brfs-OBAMAPICKSAD_BRF.html?_r=3

Chicago Division? CHICAGO Division? :eek:

*sigh*

Coded-Dude

scary indeed.

this is from their field office website:
Welcome to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Chicago Field Division. Our Division is responsible for ATF criminal enforcement and industry regulatory activities in the State of Illinois. Our dedicated work force is comprised of special agents, investigators, auditors, technicians and support staff.

ATF is committed to reducing violent crime in our neighborhoods. ATF’s Chicago Field Division special agents combat firearms violence by focusing their investigative efforts on armed violent offenders, career criminals, gun traffickers and gangs. We also work in partnership with other local, state and federal law enforcement agencies throughout Illinois to accomplish this mission.

As long as the focus remains on the bolded we have nothing to worry about......right? :uhoh:

eye95

Nearly two years into his term, President Obama on Monday chose a director for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Mr. Obama will submit the name of Andrew Traver, the special agent in charge of the bureau's Chicago field division, to the Senate for consideration, the White House said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/us/16brfs-OBAMAPICKSAD_BRF.html?_r=3

*sigh*

As soon as I hit the word "Chicago" in your post, I experienced the same visceral reaction you seem to have expressed in your last paragraph.

Really? Chicago, Mr. Obama? REALLY?

Seriously, do we have any hard information on this guy?

Coded-Dude

It counts more if you voted/are old enough to vote.

I didn't vote for Boxer or Fiorina. Both were bad choices. I also did not inadvertently get Boxer re-elected because of my vote. Anyone that says otherwise has given up on the right choice and settled for the bipartisan choice.

Slayer of Paper

He's an anti-gunner? And you're surprised by this?

The position is for Director of the BATFE (I REFUSE to legitimize them by calling them ATF). It is an appointment by Barack Obama. THERE IS ZERO CHANCE OF ANYTHING OTHER THAN AN ANTI-GUNNER FOR THIS APPOINTMENT. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think this guy as director of BATFE is a good thing- I just think it could be a LOT worse. Suppose Obama had chosen someone involved in the Waco debaucle? Perhaps even someone who had helped plan and/or lead it? Suppose he had chosen someone who had been in charge of any one of a hundred other blatant attacks on law-abiding citizens over a $200.00 tax, or a piece of wood or metal that was 1/2 inch too long or too short? Hell, it may come out that in fact he did do some of those things, but I could find nothing of that in the provided link, and I would assume that had he been involved in something like that, it certainly would have been mentioned.

Perhaps if one day we elect a true pro-gun president (hasn't happened in my lifetime, and I'm 46), we might get a BATFE director that would actually reign in that out-of-control agency; but right now, especially with this president, I think it is insane to expect him to appoint someone that is anything other than a rabid anti. To get one that hasn't personally participated in the systematic attack on law-abiding citizens perpetrated by the BATFE over the last 40 or so years may just be the best we can hope for.

I'm certainly not endorsing this man, but as I said, his choice could be a LOT worse.

nobama

We need to quit calling these people anti gunners. They are more anti freedom or anti American, anti constitution. You get the picture. I can asure you if Barry is involved with him, he is bad news.

Flintlock

Since the BATFE has no constitutional basis for existence, I don't think it matters much who leads such an organization. Anyone that would take that job would be a drone for the Obama administration and would carry out whatever illegal activities they were tasked.

since9

Campaign Veteran

*sigh*

Sure! That way Obama can skate the issue of getting his hands dirty.

Obama will never overtly act against those of us who exercise our right to keep and bear arms, as that would most assuredly cost him the next election. Rather, he does his dirty work through flunkies.