• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A handgun for a first time owner

Landose_theghost

Anyone know any good guns for a first time owner? I was thinking about a glock 19 but im not sure yet.

Any suggestions?

Glocks SUCK,and are got awfull ugly, but that's just MHO. If ur fond of that platform, go with an XD. (Here comes the flack from the glock lovers :D)

No but honestly, go to a gun store, see a few guns,hell, see alot of guns. And let the gun pick you,don't pick the gun (if that makes sense). You'll know when it feels right. Good luck on the hunt, come back with pix when u find ur baby!

-Landose-

hardballer

Hardballer,
I understand what you mean for a first timer,and I am not in disagreement with you in your advice.

I have smaller hands and use and shoot a 1911 also.
All depends on how they are set up.

Wooden gripped guns usually have a wide selection of after market grips
that can be swapped out for not a whole lot of money.
(But then again too the sky is the limit on what someone can spend on a set
grips for a 1911 or others)

Something else for a newcomer to consider is budget.
Some of the higher end polymer framed handguns come with
switch panel grips or inserts to fit a wide range of users.
Keep this in mind when a price is quoted.

Whatever make,model,caliber is chosen....
The gun is only going to be as effective as the user.
If the user takes the time to practice with it,the results will show for themselves.

If the gun is purchased and stuffed in the sock drawer after a box of ammo
has been consumed and then forgotten about.
Well.....Odds are good one cant expect the results to be as favorable.

LR Yote
Yup. Good advice LR...

Glocks SUCK,and are got awfull ugly, but that's just MHO. If ur fond of that platform, go with an XD. (Here comes the flack from the glock lovers :D)

No but honestly, go to a gun store, see a few guns,hell, see alot of guns. And let the gun pick you,don't pick the gun (if that makes sense). You'll know when it feels right. Good luck on the hunt, come back with pix when u find ur baby!

-Landose-
I know you're kidding, Landose, mostly anyway. But yeah the XD is a fine looking and functioning gun. What the Glock gives up in looks, it more than makes up for in durability and functionality. My 1911 is pretty much a plain Jane and a Glock would be just fine too if it were all I had. The XD too. It is not like the old days where there were land mines at every turn, like the Lorcins and Jennings etc. Those were genuinely bad, poor quality guns. Today, if you stick with a fairly well known name brand, you can't go wrong.

Plus you can always double check with this or other gun forums out there. Lots of free advice. Some worth exactly the price.

swfaninwi

In addition to what is posted above:

The World Wide Web can be your friend. Visit the gun manufacturer’s websites and do some research. Most have some info, a few like SIG’s have good specs. Very few prove why their products are better than others. Once you get a few model numbers, search the web and find forums and reviews. Keep in mind that most (95+%) forums and reviews are simply opinion with little fact. “I like brand XYZ” or “GTG” (Good To Go) is an opinion. You can find magazine reviews, but most will not say anything negative. Visit a place like Gander, Cabelas or a gun shop that has plenty to look at and handle. Learn that there are differences in guns – A Glock operates differently than a 1911, and 1911s are different inside. All have pluses and minuses. I use www.gunbroker.com check prices and availability.

For my carry gun, I require the following:
A metal gun
Well built to last. I plan to never sell a gun I buy.
Restrike or manual hammer cocking capability
The ability to buy accessories like holsters sights, magazines, that fit.
Fits my hand.
Reliability

The quality of guns has improved vastly in the past 30 years thanks to Computer Controller Machining. There are more choices than ever. There are BMWs and Chevys and Chevys that cost what a BMW does but doesn’t match the quality.

Krusty

FIRST and FOREMOST.. Dependability and flawless function! Next on the list is simplicity of use. I mean no 2nd safety, extra locks, secret codes or whatever to manipulate when in an over stressed situation. For a first time gun, a .357 revolver! Name brand only. And since this is not a target shooter or a deer hunting gun, a short barrel. I mean 3" or shorter. And then practicing, do point and shoot. Don't concentrate on long range bulls-eye. If full house .357 loads seem too much, then go to a .38 +P or a .38 Special. GOOD holsters are essential too. If it's not comfortable to carry, you won't carry it, and then it doesn't matter what you own, it's useless!

My own 2 carry guns are a .357 snub nose, ported, and an XDm .45 in a 4 1/2" barrel. And with good holsters I can carry either 24 hrs a day, comfortably!

hardballer

There is but one...

The 40mm Glock...

One shot stop, guaranteed.
Might be considered over kill but definitely a on shot stop.
FIRST and FOREMOST.. Dependability and flawless function! Next on the list is simplicity of use. I mean no 2nd safety, extra locks, secret codes or whatever to manipulate when in an over stressed situation. For a first time gun, a .357 revolver! Name brand only. And since this is not a target shooter or a deer hunting gun, a short barrel. I mean 3" or shorter. And then practicing, do point and shoot. Don't concentrate on long range bulls-eye. If full house .357 loads seem too much, then go to a .38 +P or a .38 Special. GOOD holsters are essential too. If it's not comfortable to carry, you won't carry it, and then it doesn't matter what you own, it's useless!

My own 2 carry guns are a .357 snub nose, ported, and an XDm .45 in a 4 1/2" barrel. And with good holsters I can carry either 24 hrs a day, comfortably!
Two excellent choices in sidearms and good advice.

Last edited: