• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas/NM Reciprocity In Jeopardy

PracticalTactical

Short story: NM DPS is concerned about people using TX and AZ permits instead of NM permits. They pushed for legislative changes and didn't get it so now they're doing something that could endanger reciprocity with other states.

Basically they're using a novel interpretation of NM law to say all out-of-state permits are invalid and then saying they only intend to enforce against NM residents.

I'm trying to get them to go about this the right way instead of doing something we could all regret later.

(and for the record, I am not advertising any AZ or TX courses for NM residents)

------------------

[letter withdrawn for now for tactical reasons]

Last edited:

MR Redenck

Well since NM has Constitutional Open Carry, maybe NM needs to realize they can trust the citizens with Concealed Carry.
Fix your requirement and people wont need to go out of state.
Texas doesnt have open carry of any kind. Were working on it though.
Now, remember reciprocity work both way's. I know lots of NM people that come over here everyday. Stress that point.

mark-in-texas

I'm of the opposite opinion; I think that if you want to CC in your state, you should have that states carry license. If you live in NM you can't register to vote in Utah, if you live in Texas you can't register your car in Vermont, if you live in New York you don't pay California taxes, if you move to Washington you get a Washington drivers licence. Where you live is what law you're subject to.

PracticalTactical

I'm of the opposite opinion; I think that if you want to CC in your state, you should have that states carry license. If you live in NM you can't register to vote in Utah, if you live in Texas you can't register your car in Vermont, if you live in New York you don't pay California taxes, if you move to Washington you get a Washington drivers licence. Where you live is what law you're subject to.

As I said in the other thread, if you feel that way write your elected officials.

I want my public servants following the law, not somebody's opinion.

KBCraig

Why would a NM resident want a TX CHL? It's harder to get, and more expensive. If they want more reciprocity, Florida is the way to go.

press1280

The easiest way is for NM to require a NM permit for CCW for NM residents only, and non-residents can carry on any reciprocal permit. This is common is many states. It would be a big mistake for them to try to end reciprocity for this reason alone.

MR Redenck

PRACTICALTACTICAL. \

I found you made this same announcement in several states. I cant see any reason why NM is wanting to drop reciprocity with everybody.
I want to see some documents on this subject. How about a DPS news article or something?

Last edited:

KBCraig

Where I live it's a bedroom community of El Paso and a lot of people move out here and just keep the CHL because they already have it.
Ah, that's a good reason. They only have to send a change-of-address form to Texas DPS, and you're close enough to Texas they can find an instructor for renewal.

Are you rooting for the Vaqueros this year? You'll have some good minor league baseball, with teams in LC, Alamogordo, and Roswell.

usaf0906

So each time I get assigned to a new military base I have to register my car, get a DL and a CC permit in that state?

What about people who are travelling sales people, or truck drivers?

Nothing wrong with reciprocity, it's on the individual to follow the laws of the state they are in.

ScottDLS

Apples and Oranges

So each time I get assigned to a new military base I have to register my car, get a DL and a CC permit in that state?

What about people who are travelling sales people, or truck drivers?

Nothing wrong with reciprocity, it's on the individual to follow the laws of the state they are in.

You don't, but that is only because of a Federal law protecting military personnel (Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act). Your non-military spouse DOES have to re-register car, get a DL, pay taxes, in each state that s/he takes up residence in, regardless of the reason for the move.

usaf0906

You don't, but that is only because of a Federal law protecting military personnel (Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act). Your non-military spouse DOES have to re-register car, get a DL, pay taxes, in each state that s/he takes up residence in, regardless of the reason for the move.

Not quite, thanks to the military spouses residency relief act (http://www.jag.navy.mil/organization/documents/tax/TIM 02-10 Encl 2.pdf)

That aside though, the whole point of reciprocity is to make it easy for people who travel through or to other states. Obviously you have to follow the laws of the state you are in and not the state you are from.

From what mark-in-texas said, it sounds like he said that whatever state you wanna carry in, you should have that states permit as a blanket statement. (I.E. no reciprocity)

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

From what mark-in-texas said, it sounds like he said that whatever state you wanna carry in, you should have that states permit as a blanket statement. (I.E. no reciprocity)

No, that's not what I said. If you LIVE in a state that has a state issued CWP, then I think you should have that state's permit. I wouldn't want to pay for some other states permit, because the money doesn't help my state. What NM (and I think some other states) is talking about is their residents NOT getting their permits and carrying in their home state with another states non-resident permit (ie a NM resident with a Utah permit). I have no problem with reciprocity, I've carried in about a dozen other states with my Texas CHL. But, if I ever moved to another state (hypothetically, why leave The Best State...) I'd get that states CWP so my money goes where I live. If you think your states license is 'too hard' to get or 'too expensive' then you should take the issue up with YOUR state.

PracticalTactical

No, that's not what I said. If you LIVE in a state that has a state issued CWP, then I think you should have that state's permit. I wouldn't want to pay for some other states permit, because the money doesn't help my state. What NM (and I think some other states) is talking about is their residents NOT getting their permits and carrying in their home state with another states non-resident permit (ie a NM resident with a Utah permit). I have no problem with reciprocity, I've carried in about a dozen other states with my Texas CHL. But, if I ever moved to another state (hypothetically, why leave The Best State...) I'd get that states CWP so my money goes where I live. If you think your states license is 'too hard' to get or 'too expensive' then you should take the issue up with YOUR state.

Public officials expect us to follow the law, no matter what our opinion of it is.

I expect them to follow the law, no matter what your opinion or theirs is. Unless it's written in law, that's all it is: an opinion.

If they don't like it, they should work to change the law, not ignore it and substitute their opinion for it because it's convenient.

As a citizen, I can't get away with that and neither should they.

bushwacker

to accept out of state permits for out of staters and not accept the same permits for residents is unfair to the residents ,to be forced to follow a certain criteria to carry when out staters don't have to , rather their state is tougher or more lax...we know that it's a money thing anyway, and if revenue is the center of motivation, then you would think a state would change their permits to where everyone would want them. like to 10 yrs half the price half the hassell .i.e. florida and utah two big sellers

ScottDLS

Msrra

Not quite, thanks to the military spouses residency relief act (http://www.jag.navy.mil/organization/documents/tax/TIM 02-10 Encl 2.pdf)

That aside though, the whole point of reciprocity is to make it easy for people who travel through or to other states. Obviously you have to follow the laws of the state you are in and not the state you are from.

Wow that's a great deal for military spouses...I see it's recent. I'm with you that I believe states should recognize out of state licenses even for their own residents. While everyone should try to get their own state's license, there are numerous situations where, you could be waiting...took up residence briefly, then leave, etc...

usaf0906

Ok, that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion on my part then.