• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC-ing with a bullet proof vest on

Status
Not open for further replies.

love4guns

Is anyone aware of the regulations in reguards to OCing while wearing a BP-vest? I know I may come across as paranoid but so would you if you had to drive on church st(gangsters paradise) in Richmond, VA

Thanks for any info yall may have

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The only mention of body armor in the Code of Virginia

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm

§ 18.2-287.2. Wearing of body armor while committing a crime; penalty.

Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of § 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of § 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.

grylnsmn

Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of § 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of § 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.

In other words, as long as you are not committing a crime of violence, you should be good to go, whether you are OC or not.

love4guns

So the the key words here are "committing a crime".....

wylde007

Two separate citations, Lincoln7.

"Crime of Violence" OR "Felony"

The associated felonies are, of course, drug statutes. Go figure.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

You may beat the rap but you will NOT beat the ride.

Is there any chance wear of body armor will be used to enhance a charge of a crime of violence for self-defense using a firearm?

twoskinsonemanns

Please explain your thinking on this.
Is this the perception issue again?

Bingo. We as a group of individuals exercising a right that most have been slowly, ever so slowly, persuaded is not necessary have a duty to look a certain way, act a certain way. OCing is not about protecting your self it's about maintaining the right to OC. As a part of this unorganized group we don't want you associated with any OTHER group that is seen by society as extreme. (sarcasm)

Of course if you don't care about the peer pressure and only care about being safe in a legal way and getting home to your family go ahead. But shame on you if you do. Those things are really just for cops.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Bingo. We as a group of individuals exercising a right that most have been slowly, ever so slowly, persuaded is not necessary have a duty to look a certain way, act a certain way. OCing is not about protecting your self it's about maintaining the right to OC. As a part of this unorganized group we don't want you associated with any OTHER group that is seen by society as extreme.

Of course if you don't care about the peer pressure and only care about being safe in a legal way and getting home to your family go ahead. But shame on you if you do. Those things are really just for cops.

A good reason.
One year at the Ashland Strawberry Fair (Very Anti) Grapeshot, Skidmark, Curtis and myself were making the point we could carry. I was videoing and we'd already butted heads with the campus cops, Ashland cops and an idiot lawyer....and won.

I had on an old military vest with pockets stuffed with camera gear and was NOT carrying. One of the news photographers came by and asked if we were a local militia.

That's the last time I wore that on an OC safari.

WhatTimeIsIt?

Bingo. We as a group of individuals exercising a right that most have been slowly, ever so slowly, persuaded is not necessary have a duty to look a certain way, act a certain way. OCing is not about protecting your self it's about maintaining the right to OC. As a part of this unorganized group we don't want you associated with any OTHER group that is seen by society as extreme.

I have to mention my disagreement with this. Now, I've never openly carried while wearing a bullet-proof vest and likely never will, but there is nothing wrong with it. I choose to carry a weapon to protect myself, promoting the second amendment or OC is only a secondary effect. I also do not have a duty to act or look a certain special way because I carry a firearm. I frankly don't care about how I'm perceived by others; don't give me that "they can vote too" crap, I'm not going to change my life to the irrational whims of others. And "shame on you if you do", is that supposed to be serious?

twoskinsonemanns

A good reason.
One year at the Ashland Strawberry Fair (Very Anti) Grapeshot, Skidmark, Curtis and myself were making the point we could carry. I was videoing and we'd already butted heads with the campus cops, Ashland cops and an idiot lawyer....and won.

I had on an old military vest with pockets stuffed with camera gear and was NOT carrying. One of the news photographers came by and asked if we were a local militia.

That's the last time I wore that on an OC safari.

Did you get an approved list of clothing you could wear without being thought "extreme".
Is it anything military looking or just actual old military issued garments? What about colors? Did you get the specific shades you were allowed to wear?
Ok that sounds more belligerent than I mean it but it seems hypocritical to look down at a fellow who feels more comfortable in a vest, or wearing camo when you KNOW damn well there is someone out there look at YOU the same way every time you walk around town "packing heat like some Wyatt Earp wannabe".

Status
Not open for further replies.