• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To Much Food in the garbage?

countryclubjoe

Hi Seattle Folks

This is not OC related, however it is liberty related.

I read on another site, that Seattle was trying to introduce an ordiance that would fine homeowners and business for simply disposing of to much food.

The City planned on giving trash collectors the authority to cite folks for throwing away food, the fines could range from $1 to $50 depending on the weight of the food..

I, living in NJ, the most non- liberty minded state in the country, was wondering if Seattle is trying to pass NJ as the most anti liberty state.

SVG, please weigh in on this topic..

Regards.

CCJ

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Truly a first-world problem. I would address it by encouraging trash producers to separate food waste from other trash and allow waste collectors to collect it, then separate out any "contaminants" and finally sell the food waste to manufacturers of animal feed. All costs of such operation to be borne by the waste collectors who receive compensation at the end of the process by selling the now-valuable recyclable.

Participation in such a scheme should be voluntary for both private citizens and businesses.

But all that makes too much sense.:uhoh:

stay safe.

FattyKrack

Well look, I work at a high end steakhouse downtown Seatthell. How on EARTH do you expect us to keep around and recycle half eaten dishes, steaks, or potatoes? What are we going to do with it? Break ALL of the Washington health codes by saving it and reusing it somehow? Sure they can charge the business perhaps, but that cost will jack up the prices of food, not affect our bottom line. But really what the heck do they propose we do about it?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What is the cost, in time and money, of administration of such a feat?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Those who passed the ordinance can come over and eat my wife's "cooking"....

nanny state crap that they have authority to pass.

F350

Truly a first-world problem. I would address it by encouraging trash producers to separate food waste from other trash and allow waste collectors to collect it, then separate out any "contaminants" and finally sell the food waste to manufacturers of animal feed. All costs of such operation to be borne by the waste collectors who receive compensation at the end of the process by selling the now-valuable recyclable.

Participation in such a scheme should be voluntary for both private citizens and businesses.

But all that makes too much sense.:uhoh:

stay safe.

All the seat-belt laws I know of started as secondary offences ("You can't be stopped just for not wearing your seat-belt") all are now primary offences. A voluntary program WILL become mandatory over time as the processes are put in place, I give you CO2 reduction.

Last edited:

FattyKrack

Same as you do with your grease.
We have special black trashcans that are for organics only. When we dump it into their special bins in the alley, we have to dump from the bag, as to not include it.
To be fair that doesn't mean it even happens. Servers' energy is used purely on brown nosing guests and not dropping food, so their capacity to put it all in the right can is non existant. Coupled with ex felon dishwashers who don't give a crap, and I guess here we are.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Seattle has me confused here. They say there is too much food waste in the trash and it produces too much methane gas as it decomposes which is why they are mandating that residents compost their food wastes on site instead of dumping it in the trash.

Does a banana peel produce more or less methane gas when decomposing in the municipal landfill compost or when composted at a homeowners compost site?

Warning: May be a trick question here!
:banghead::banghead::banghead: