• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jonathon Norris Legal Defense Fund

eye95

http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?action=donate

On July 4th past, Jonathon Norris was arrested for OC while he was sitting and playing chess in a Birmingham park. He was charged with disorderly conduct since he violated no gun laws. A lot of his property, including his handgun and his long gun were confiscated, along with his CPL, and not returned. On ALOC, we put out a request for donations to pay for his legal costs. The members stepped up and covered the costs of his trial completely.

Unfortunately, he was convicted in that municipal bench trial. The judge completely ignored the fact that the officers answered "NO" to every question about the six enumerated actions that could constitute disorderly conduct. She stated that it was her "opinion" that Jonathon's actions were threatening.

Jon is, of course, appealing for a jury trial. This will be more expensive and more than we in Alabama could possibly raise without outside help, even though we have already started a second round of donations to his legal defense fund.

So we are asking for your help. I know you have been generous before, and we don't want to stretch your ability to help too thin, but anything you can give would be greatly appreciated. You can donate via PayPal at the link up top.

To read more detail about what happened and how the trial went (and, soon, the transcript of the trial), please read the following threads on ALOC:

http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=1218.0

http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=205.0

Again, thanks for every dollar you can give. The prosecutors, the police, and the judge are trying to make sure that Jonathon pays a heavy price for doing that which is legal but they don't like--even though they know that he will be ultimately acquitted. He is fighting this battle for us, for all of us whose rights may be similarly trampled upon. He is fighting to set a precedent in Alabama that OC, in and of itself, cannot be disorderly conduct, that some other behavior, besides playing chess, has to accompany OC for it to be considered "threatening."

Help Jon and, in the process, help us all avoid future specious arrests and kangaroo court trials.

Thank you.

eye95

Link does not take you to a donation site. Please fix.

The link takes you to the ALOC donation page. Scroll down to see the donate button. I chose to take you through ALOC so that you would see the disclaimer that ALOC does not get a dime of the money. Every penny goes to Jon's legal defense.

Thanks for your question and your concern. We genuinely appreciate any and all assistance.

On edit: If you meant the links in my sig, they were bad, and I fixed them. Even if you didn't, your heads up made me check them and fix them. Thanks!

Last edited:

eye95

Maybe you should post the donate button here. Much easier.

$50.00 sent

Thank you.

I hope the above button works. I didn't know how to create a button, so I stole the code from skidmark's button, and put in Jonathon's donate URL. It looks like it calls up the right page.

If anyone has a problem with the button, let me know.

Thanks again Rod.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

After he wins at trial, your group and he should sue the first judge and the arresting officers for false arrest and get the judge off the bench and disbarred.

I really Hate people who think they are above the law, like that judge.

eye95

After he wins at trial, your group and he should sue the first judge and the arresting officers for false arrest and get the judge off the bench and disbarred.

The lawsuit will be filed against the officers (using the theory in St. John) and the city. The law seems against us as far as suing the prosecutor and the judge goes. However, the judge is being reported to the judicial ethics folks.

The prosecutor was actually a bit of a bumbler. Had he not had a judge predisposed to ruling in his favor, this would have been a slam-dunk acquittal. His questioning of the sergeant was comically incompetent.

I bet that the prosecutor and the sergeant get together before the jury trial and do a little bit of "preparation" this time.

Jonathon Sometimes

Thank you very much

to everyone who has donated or kept me in your thoughts. This means alot to me and my family, and I will never give up or let this get me down, thanks to your support. Major lawsuits are being prepared for after my aquittal in Circuit court.

eye95

Thanks to OldCurlyWolf, sudden valley gunner, KGCraig, and ixtow. It is good to know that the members of this community stands behind each other when the law is improperly used to infringe the RKBA.

The love that has been shown to skidmark, and now Jonathon, helps us all keep the faith and carry on! Some will try to beat us one at a time. They must learn that they are not taking on one of us. They are taking on all of us!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

We may not get along all the time, but 'join or die' is no mere nostalgia.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

We may not get along all the time, but 'join or die' is no mere nostalgia.

No, it's not. I sent in what I could.

+1. Couple of quotes for you:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

"The scales of justice must be rebalanced from time to time from the coffers of tyrants and the badges and disbarment of the inept." - since9

PS: That includes the removal of inept judges, an Arkansas version of which I've encountered is particularly inept and open to the lies of her favored attorney or two.

Yep. It's even worse when they're simply inept, dismissing valid evidence meeting every AR and U.S. Federal rules of evidence while admitting clearly manufacturered lies in gross and multiple miscarriages of justice.

That's why I gave. I've been raped at the circuit court level by those sworn to uphold justice.

I know how it feels.

Good luck!!!

ETA: Haven't given yet. Links still not working properly, and Alabama OC isn't coming up. See next post.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
The button caused that message? It seems to call the right page for me.

It's tied to your logon. When we log onto PayPal, it's gives us a fatal error message.

PayPal works off e-mail addresses associated with the receiving account. Try posting that. Should work fine.

Last edited:

eye95

Try the button again. Let me know how it works. If all else fails, you can use the button at ALOC. The link in the OP and the link in my signature take you there.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Might we do well to add the smaller buttons to our signatures? Allowed?

Publish the code snippet you want us to use for this, and I'll be more than happy to exchange my obnoxious taglines for something useful.

If I am willing to, I bet just about anyone is. ;-)

--- I tried stripping fud from the button code, but it doesn't fit in the signature space with all required fields ---

A straight link might fit/work.

Last edited: