• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone meet up for a friendly OC?

Firedawg314

Hello, I'm new to this website. I just received my CCW but would love to open carry. I live in Florissant, Mo, I have heard that OC is ok with a CCW. So far I have only OC around my house (washing the car etc). I haven't had the gonads to go shopping... but I could see going to a resturante. I have heard/ read certain areas in North county will assrest you even with a CCW if you OC. What is strange/wild... my block that I live on is considered unicorpated St. Louis County. But all around me is the City of Florissant.

I would like to meet with a few of you all say at a Starbucks, etc probably once a week or even once a month. If anyone is intersted please let me know.

I figure, the more we communicate, the more we can educate more people about OC and not fear anyone having a "tool" on their hip. As a side note, I remember growing up as a kid, if you even seen a person with a knife on thier hip or polking out of their pocket, you thought maybe they where up to no good. Now look, millions of people wear Leatherman's or some form of knife on their hip and NO ONE cares. maybe its all about the "packaging". Make the holster look more appealing, and people may want to join in on the fun too?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Don't ask; Tell!

Instead of asking if anybody is interested, set a date/time/place and announce it. Saves all the hassles of trying to reach agreement about when/where. If they are interested they will come. If nobody shows up for the first one just do it over again - keep it up until they come just to see who the persistant nut is.

stay safe.

Morpheus97

Welcome to the forum. We were meeting regularly, but it's been a while. It would be nice to do it again. Be careful with the OC laws in MO. It is legal to OC with CCW in some cities, legal to OC without CCW in others, and illegal to OC at all in the rest. If you're going to OC off of your private property, be sure to do your research. www.sullivanpublications.com is a good place to start, but it is not always up to date. I read this forum and studied laws for several months before OCing off private property for the first time.

Oramac

I'd be down to meet. As has been said, quadruple check the laws first, but it would be good to meet up.

I have heard/ read certain areas in North county will assrest you even with a CCW if you OC.

I truly hope I never get assrested. That does not sound fun at all!

Firedawg314

Infor about OC with CCW in Florissant

I have emailed two officers from Florissant Police Department and St. Louis County. I haven't heard back from them yet... so I called the general number of Florissant Police Department and they said "yes and no"... basically if its holsterd (and make sure you have your CCW) its "ok". But if the officer is around, its best to let them know ASAP. There's no "show and tell" with the firearm. It can be displayed in the holster

Here's my plan, if anyone wants to meet up. I'm thinking the 26th of November. I have a few places in mind to meet at. What I will do, tomorrow I will go by and talk to the managers FIRST to see that they are ok with a group of us meeting there. One of the last things I don't want to happen is that we all meet up and then the owner doesn't want us there and cops are called... that would be a very bad day. I think this is what I will do....

1. get the ok from the store owner
2. inform the police department the day and time we will be there.

That way, if someone "haters" want to call the police and cook up a story, they (police) have a heads up that we are there and they may just call the store or stop by just to see what's going on before sending a SWAT team or something.

Morpheus97

It is great that you are doing your research, but don't always go by what the police say. In this case they are correct, it is legal in Florissant with a CCW permit. I'm not anti-cop, it's just that some are not up-to-date on all of the firearm laws and some will give their opinion instead of the law. It is best to get it in writing directly from the source. One of our members here, Doc, used to go around to various cities in the area and make a copy of the relevant ordinances. BTW, there is no requirement in Missouri to notify a LEO if you are OCing or CCing in their presence. And for my $.02, never take your firearm out of the holster unless legally justified in using it for defense purposes.

Feel free to do whatever you want on notifying people, but do you notify anyone before driving your vehicle, wearing your favorite shirt, or any other legal activity?

Firedawg314

It is great that you are doing your research, but don't always go by what the police say. In this case they are correct, it is legal in Florissant with a CCW permit. I'm not anti-cop, it's just that some are not up-to-date on all of the firearm laws and some will give their opinion instead of the law. It is best to get it in writing directly from the source. One of our members here, Doc, used to go around to various cities in the area and make a copy of the relevant ordinances. BTW, there is no requirement in Missouri to notify a LEO if you are OCing or CCing in their presence. And for my $.02, never take your firearm out of the holster unless legally justified in using it for defense purposes.

Feel free to do whatever you want on notifying people, but do you notify anyone before driving your vehicle, wearing your favorite shirt, or any other legal activity?

That is true... your .02 cents just went up to $200 bucks. I guess I would have felt more confortble if I seen others open carry more often.

RIght now its early (almost 8am), I will stop by the police station (unarmed) and see if they have the law printed out, or do the officers there know that. But like you said... you get some of these new guys in and they may have came from the city and think the law there applies here.

Today will be an intersteing day.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
1. Stop asking cops about the law, very few know very little about it and more than a few are willing to flat out lie about it.
2. Stop asking managers for permission, you are scaring the hell out of them and 99% of the time you are going to get a NO.

Put your firearm on your hip, conduct yourself in a polite friendly manner and ignore any stupidity you may be faced with by the utterly clueless.

If a manager approaches you and ask you to leave, by all means do so, by law you have to with or without a firearm.

More than a few of us are over due for a dinner, the only recent rule is I think we have to skip Mexican at least 3 more times to even out the balance from the Chevy's tour!

I am huge busy right now, but might make that date.

Firedawg314

possible dates are coming up real SOON

I have visited a few places to see its ok for us to meet up OC'ing.

1. I stopped by Barns and Noble Book store on the corner of New Halls Ferry and North HWY 67. The mananger said, "NO". She doesn't like guns. So this may be a place you want to advoid at all cost.

2. I stopped by O'Charley's. Same location... the shift manager there is perfectly fine with OC (as long everyone has their permits). BUT... it will the finial say so of the General Manager, I am waiting to speak with her this Thursday.

3. I went across the street to 54th Street Bar and Grill. They are totally happy with ANYONE WITH A CCW to be there open carry. No need to call ahead or anything like that, just show up. Make sure you have your CCW with you. If you do not have your CCW, leave it in the car. The person who I spoke to was Greg.

I have also spoken to a Criminal lawyer. He would love to come out with us to speak and give us a head ups of what to do and not do so forth. As of right now, since its the "christmas season" and people are shopping etc. How does everyone feel about meeting at
54th Street Bar and Grill Saturday, November 26th at 1pm?:banana:

Last edited:

Oramac

I have visited a few places to see its ok for us to meet up OC'ing.

1. I stopped by Barns and Noble Book store on the corner of New Halls Ferry and North HWY 67. The mananger said, "NO". She doesn't like guns. So this may be a place you want to advoid at all cost.

2. I stopped by O'Charley's. Same location... the shift manager there is perfectly fine with OC (as long everyone has their permits). BUT... it will the finial say so of the General Manager, I am waiting to speak with her this Thursday.

3. I went across the street to 54th Street Bar and Grill. They are totally happy with ANYONE WITH A CCW to be there open carry. No need to call ahead or anything like that, just show up. Make sure you have your CCW with you. If you do not have your CCW, leave it in the car. The person who I spoke to was Greg.

I have also spoken to a Criminal lawyer. He would love to come out with us to speak and give us a head ups of what to do and not do so forth. As of right now, since its the "christmas season" and people are shopping etc. How does everyone feel about meeting at
54th Street Bar and Grill Saturday, November 26th at 1pm?:banana:

Good info here. Thanks for the research! I'm REALLY tight on money until mid-December (forgot about Xmas shopping) so I'm a maybe for Nov 26th. If I'm there I probably won't eat. :( I'll tell my dad about it too, he may want to come as well.

Firedawg314

Good info here. Thanks for the research! I'm REALLY tight on money until mid-December (forgot about Xmas shopping) so I'm a maybe for Nov 26th. If I'm there I probably won't eat. :( I'll tell my dad about it too, he may want to come as well.

That is cool. There's no pressure to eat etc. I do ask, since this is our first meeting, no drinking beers etc. Since being intoxicated with a firearm is a "no no". Last thing I want is a set of undercover cops watching us eat and drink and then it makes the news that a ton of CCW holders of headed off to jail because they wanted to drink.

But yeah, its is a way to meet others, and BS a bit. Nothing formal. I would like for us to meet at least once a month.