• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Multi-state road trip from CA through NV, UT, WY to CO. OC questions.

ntnwwnet

Hi all.

My fiancé and I are planning a road trip from our place in the SF bay area to visit her family in Denver, Colorado. I'd like to OC (and/or CC) my P99 and was looking into the different laws for the states we'll be passing through.

Our intended route takes us through Nevada, Utah and part of Wyoming before we get into Colorado. We're planning on spending a night in Salt Lake City each way, but I don't think that changes anything as far as OC/CC is concerned.

Here's what I've gathered:

Notes:
The standard prohibited areas of courthouses, public office, schools, etc. apply in all 4 states.
I don't hold any concealed carry permits in any of the states. No time go get one, either.

California:
OC: nope
CC: double nope

Nevada:
CC: Permit required for residents. Non-residents need a permit from a state that NV honors.
OC: Allowed. Can be loaded (loaded magazine with round in the chamber).

Utah:
CC: Permit required for residents. Non-residents need a permit from a state that UT honors (all states honored).
OC: Non-CC holders: Allowed, must be unloaded. Unloaded = "the firearm must be unloaded and require two actions to fire." No loaded round in chamber but magazine may be loaded.

Wyoming:
CC: Residents can CC without a permit. Non-residents need a permit from a state that WY honors.
OC: Allowed. Can be loaded (loaded magazine with round in the chamber).

Colorado:
CC: Permit required for residents. Non-residents need a permit from (must be a resident of) a state that CO honors.
OC: Outside of Denver: Allowed? Can be loaded? Inside Denver: Not allowed. At all?

Has anybody here traveled to/through any of these states that can provide insight on what I've gathered? Am I generally correct in what I've been able to figure out?

Thanks!

Last edited:

acmariner99

Looks like you've got the bases covered --

CA: Unloaded and encased only
NV: Loaded OC ok. Cannot carry concealed on the person on foot or in a vehicle without a permit. Can be in a glove box or center console however
UT: Two actions from firing, but can be carried openly. In a vehicle you can carry loaded if you are the vehicle owner or have permission of the vehicle owner
WY: Constitutional Carry for residents, non residents can OC no problem, CC with a permit. Vehicle carry is unrestricted.
CO: Outside Denver City and County, Loaded OC is legal without a permit. You MUST conceal in Denver therefore you must have a permit to carry at all -- think Texas style. I think you will not since you are a CA resident. (Non res permits are not valid in Colorado)

Which leads to a question -- can you conceal in a vehicle in Denver without a permit?

Last edited:

ntnwwnet

Which leads to a question -- can you conceal in a vehicle in Denver without a permit?

I don't think so. AFAIK Denver = no OC. Only CC w/ permit.

-----

A follow-up question: Do my spare magazines (2, carried in a holster on my weak side) need to be openly carried as well, or can I conceal them under my shirt?

Gunslinger

I don't think so. AFAIK Denver = no OC. Only CC w/ permit.

-----

A follow-up question: Do my spare magazines (2, carried in a holster on my weak side) need to be openly carried as well, or can I conceal them under my shirt?

A loaded, concealed handgun is legal throughout CO, including Denver, in your car. That is covered by state preemption. No OC out of the vehicle, as noted, in Denver. Stay out of the PDR of Denver and enjoy the rest of the state.