• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com - Campus carry: why not?

Rich7553

Primarily, the argument against removing the restriction seems to be one of idealism, in that places of education are somehow hallowed ground and should be havens from the perceived hazards of guns on campus. Unfortunately, wishing for something does not necessarily make it so.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Campus carry: why not? - Ft. Myers Gun Rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-ft-myers/campus-carry-why-not#ixzz1E4ZMxz5s

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Primarily, the argument against removing the restriction seems to be one of idealism, in that places of education are somehow hallowed ground and should be havens from the perceived hazards of guns on campus. Unfortunately, wishing for something does not necessarily make it so.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Campus carry: why not? - Ft. Myers Gun Rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-ft-myers/campus-carry-why-not#ixzz1E4ZMxz5s

I can't think of any events where someone ignored a School's or the Law's ban on guns, and took advantage of the helpless and dumb people who were in such a place as protecting yourself was not allowed.

[/sarcasm]

Is it not odd that the very same people who want to ban guns are also showing us how much we need them?

~*'Phoenix'*~

ALL colleges/universities, or just State institutions?

I'm at a private university, so I'm confused if the bill's wording will provide for legal concealed/open carry at ALL institutions?
I'll just be glad for the parking lot issue so I can have it with me to/from campus, but ideally it'll allow legal carry for all...

Rich7553

I'm at a private university, so I'm confused if the bill's wording will provide for legal concealed/open carry at ALL institutions?
I'll just be glad for the parking lot issue so I can have it with me to/from campus, but ideally it'll allow legal carry for all...

Of course, it all depends on how the statute is determined by the courts. I'm pretty sure there's going to be some attempts to challenge the statute so we'll see how it all shakes out.

Ultimately, the goal is the regard college campuses as normal property. If public, the right to carry would be permitted and protected by statute. The administration would not be allowed to take any action against a student, nor make any policy regarding lawfully carried and owned firearms. If private, the administration would be permitted to have a policy against firearms, and enforce that policy through sanctions. However, the only criminal action that could be initiated by the school would be that of trespass if a carrier were discovered and refused to leave.