• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-res open carry

swinokur

Activist Member
I think carrying it gives you access which will not give you FOPA protection. As USER pointed out, having access is the problem. Even if locked, you have access.

See Revell vs Port Authority of NY and NJ

I think shipping it to yourself is the safest method. IANAL

JamesB

Method of transport? car, train, boat, plane?

If you are going through DC and have to change trains, I'd forget it if it was me.

You can UPS it to yourself. Must go next day and you must declare the weapon to the carrier. I think Fed EX will only ship to an FFL. Check their web site.

UPS will ship a firearm to any real address (not a po box). Hehe last time mine went on tour without me the packing label said "office equipment"

swinokur

Activist Member
UPS will ship a firearm to any real address (not a po box). Hehe last time mine went on tour without me the packing label said "office equipment"

Be careful. If you do not declare your firearm to the carrier and it is lost, the carrier is not responsible for the shipment or reimbursing you. read the terms of agreement at the UPS site.

JamesB

Be careful. If you do not declare your firearm to the carrier and it is lost, the carrier is not responsible for the shipment or reimbursing you. read the terms of agreement at the UPS site.

It was insured for more than its purchase price.

It is posible they thought it was a hard drive or some such. But with a shipping address of Glock, Smyrna GA, I thought it was just funny they would actually ask what was in the box.

swinokur

Activist Member
It was insured for more than its purchase price.

It is posible they thought it was a hard drive or some such. But with a shipping address of Glock, Smyrna GA, I thought it was just funny they would actually ask what was in the box.

Doesn't matter if you insured it for a million dollars and had Glock's name on it. If you falsify what is in the box and don't disclose the shipment as a firearm, and it's lost, you get nada.

UPS WEB Site :
  • When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
  • See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.
1.gif

US Code Tite 18 Chapter 44 SS 922
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
So not only is UPS not obligated to pay a claim based on false information, you violated Federal law. I don't see where the carrier is to assume what the contents are based on the shipping address.

Last edited: