• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisville Stories?

Trina

I recently had a jealous ex stick a 40 cal in my face threatening to kill me. Even with a DVO against him I do not feel safe so I open carry when I feel comfortable. Problem is that I am not sure where I can or cannot carry. The only place I have carried is in my neighborhood (not the best part of town) when I am walking my dog, and at Wal Mart. Can anyone please tell me if I am able to carry at parks (where I take my kiddos a lot)??? And also, what places can I not carry... I know that court houses etc are off limits. I have not had any problems when I have carried, in fact I have had a handful of officers and sheriffs at my house to check on me and actually compliment me on the bravery of wearing my gun. I am sure that the color of it is what caught their eye : who would not love a pink and black gun haha. But if anyone can help, I surely would appreciate it! Thank you!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!! Sorry to hear about your situation. Glad to hear that you are taking measures to protect yourself. What kind of gun are you carrying?

Last edited:

langzaiguy

Welcome! To keep it simple: you cannot open carry in or around a school (K-12), daycare, bar, or a court of justice. Everywhere else is fair game. For nuances of law and carry, you'll be best served by doing a search in the KY forum.

UnfetteredMight

Welcome! To keep it simple: you cannot open carry in or around a school (K-12), daycare, bar, or a court of justice. Everywhere else is fair game. For nuances of law and carry, you'll be best served by doing a search in the KY forum.

No detention centers either.

Oh and while a .22 is better than a rock, step up to a .380 or 9mm if at all possible. Good luck.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

*SNIP*I am sure that the color of it is what caught their eye : who would not love a pink and black gun haha. But if anyone can help, I surely would appreciate it! Thank you!*SNIP*

You sound like someone I could go clubbing with on a girls night out~ We could compare our peace~ ... Hi-point .45 ACP Pink and Black grip, trigger, and slide~ \o/ ... Find a Pink/Black .50 Desert Eagle, or two and carry those around :D

CharleyCherokee

There are no "laws" against open carrying in any place other than schools. You will be asked to leave from court houses and detention centers. If you go into a bar your gun must be unloaded, but you can carry there. Publicly owned parks are perfectly legal to carry in despite local ordinances that may be there. One of the beautiful things I've noticed about KY law is that you can't be charged for carrying openly anywhere except a school if you leave when asked to. However, you have to keep in mind how your local law enforcement officers will react to your carrying. They can arrest you for wearing a purple shirt on Tuesday if they want, but it doesn't make it illegal.

Trina

LOL with four kiddos I dont club much anymore! And I will upgrade eventually, but I am new to firearms and prefer to be completely comfortable with what I have before I go up a notch... I want to take the CCW class, just havent had the time or the cash to do it. I know I can open carry without a license, but training wise I would rather have a little more insight into what I am doing rather than being blind. So, if I am approached by an officer, what do I tell them? Every officer I have encountered thus far has been understanding and appreciative that I have the guts to carry period. But I know with my luck I will come across the one person with a power trip who will look at me and laugh and get defensive. I get a lot of looks as is: Im only 26 with purple hair. LOL Im sure having my Sig on my hip will make it a lot more obvious.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Get yourself a decent recorder. Keep it on anytime that you are carrying. This way you will have both sides of any encounter. If you are stopped by an officer and it starts to turn into something other than polite conversation you should ask "am I free to go?" Some people ask, "am I being detained?" Both of these questions require the officer to make a choice. Either he let's you walk away or he acknowledges that he is detaining you. If he doesn't let you leave, ask why you are being detained. This is where it is very important to know the laws. If you know you are right you can point out the relevant laws and perhaps teach the officer. If things escalate, just keep quiet and let them make their own bed. I doubt you will have a problem though.

UnfetteredMight

LOL with four kiddos I dont club much anymore! And I will upgrade eventually, but I am new to firearms and prefer to be completely comfortable with what I have before I go up a notch... I want to take the CCW class, just havent had the time or the cash to do it. I know I can open carry without a license, but training wise I would rather have a little more insight into what I am doing rather than being blind. So, if I am approached by an officer, what do I tell them? Every officer I have encountered thus far has been understanding and appreciative that I have the guts to carry period. But I know with my luck I will come across the one person with a power trip who will look at me and laugh and get defensive. I get a lot of looks as is: Im only 26 with purple hair. LOL Im sure having my Sig on my hip will make it a lot more obvious.

Do you have a smartphone(android/iphone)?

I keep a compilation of relevant laws on my android for handy reference. I could email it to you or if you dont have a smartphone, they could be stored as locked text messages or even just print them out and keep it in your purse. The only thing better than telling a LEO the law is showing them.

KRM59

Here to Help

First of all welcome to OCDO, second if you would like, I would be happy to join you at bluegrass indoor range for some trigger time. I feel for your situation and am glad you made the choice to protect your self. You will find a great deal of helpful info here. And hope you think about joining us sometimes for an open carry get together.

Boomer1948

Kentucky laws r/t open and concealed carry

I recently had a jealous ex stick a 40 cal in my face threatening to kill me. Even with a DVO against him I do not feel safe so I open carry when I feel comfortable. Problem is that I am not sure where I can or cannot carry. The only place I have carried is in my neighborhood (not the best part of town) when I am walking my dog, and at Wal Mart. Can anyone please tell me if I am able to carry at parks (where I take my kiddos a lot)??? And also, what places can I not carry... I know that court houses etc are off limits. I have not had any problems when I have carried, in fact I have had a handful of officers and sheriffs at my house to check on me and actually compliment me on the bravery of wearing my gun. I am sure that the color of it is what caught their eye : who would not love a pink and black gun haha. But if anyone can help, I surely would appreciate it! Thank you!

Trina, Here are the Kentucky laws about carrying weapons. http://opencarry.org/ky.htmlI am assuming you already have your CCDW license, since you are "packing" already. You're "Ex" is guilty of brandishing a firearm if he pointed a .40 Cal at you when he had no fear for his life or property. That, alone, should get his license (if he even has one) suspended and/or get him some time in the "Graybar Hotel". BTW your choice of weapon is perfect, IF you have the ability and the "cajones" to pull that trigger to protect yourself. You obviously wanting to protect yourself and remember, that DVO is just a piece of paper and it won't stop a bullet. Bottom line is the police can't protect you if they are not there when you need them. They are outnumbered by the criminals, they are outgunned by the criminals, and they aren't psychics who know ahead of time where to be to stop a crime from happening. YOU are the first line of your own defense. Take your weapon to a firing range, learn how to use it, clean it, load it, and WHEN to do all of those things.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Boomer

Last edited:

bond150

I was pulled over on US60 by a Shelby county sheriff (2:15 am). As soon as he approached my window I informed him that I had my pistol in the center console. He politely asked to see where it was and check that the serial numbers were intact. After looked at the gun he handed it back and I placed it back in the console where it was in it's holster. He then asked me my age, when I told him I was 20 he said I was not allowed to have the gun much less in the center console concealed. I told him that I did not want to argue but I was pretty sure I was allowed to have it because I bought it from a private seller and was over 18 years old. He told me that he could take the gun and impound it. He asked me where I got my information "it's from KRS sir". He didnt really say anything. He then checked my lisence and insurance and told me I was good to go. I shook his hand and everything. Was I in the wrong?

bond150

So legally I was completely in the clear. But my main concern was when he asked for my registration. It is in the center console along with the pistol. As soon as it is opened the handgun is visible. I didn't want him thinking I was going for that.

langzaiguy

@Bond You were smart do disclose your weapon if it was near the registration. If this incident happened in the last couple months, you were completely legal, as the law changed in July.

bond150

Yes. It was just a few weeks ago and I was 99.9% that I was completely legal. The officer was insisting that I was breaking the law and he could take my firearm for doing so. All in all though, he was very nice and didn't give me a ticket and didn't hassle me to much really. He even wished me luck in the next few months as I will begin applying for various PD's soon.

UnfetteredMight

If he was so sure you were illegal do you REALLY believe he would have let you go with an illegal, loaded handgun in your car?!? He was blowing smoke and he knew it.

Exactly, it was the old "I'm gonna let you slide on breaking a law that doesn't exist" line. What a nice LEO. I mean really bond150, you should tell us his name so we all can call his CO and tell him what a great job his officer is doing letting pretend criminals go!

I'm kidding of course. But next time a LEO asks for your weapon and your not committing a crime, or he cannot provide RAS that you did or are about to commit a crime, tell him no. Now if he demands it under threat of force, comply and file charges later.

I'd have to say good call on notifying him under the circumstances.

bond150

Yeah. I just didn't want to surprise an officer at 2:30 am with a handgun as i opened my center console to reach for my registration. If it happens again I will still inform the officer of my weapon and where it is. But if he asks to see it I will tell he/she I would rather not. It was a learning experience!