• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How is this legal? Anyone attending?

WalkingWolf

I've been looking for an 'answer' or a precedent to this question for years and no one has ever had one. I essentially was looking for an answer to: If someone is standing on the sidewalk or street corner with a sign, is this a demonstration, protest or picket line and does this qualify as being 'on' state or 'public' property? No one could answer.

The Day of Resistance event in Asheville took place IN a city park that is generally thought to have banned guns completely, however this is not the case. Others thought the 'protest' statute on 'public' property made it illegal to carry at the event. The organizers of this event finally got a statement from the police dept on what they were enforcing and needless to say numerous folks OC'ed including a number of rifles. (I know I know, Das ist Verboten talk on OC.org) I believe there are some serious misconceptions spread about this 'protest' statute. And obviously all the naysayers who have their panties in a bunch about OC qualifying an arrest under "going armed to the terror of the public" are just all washed up. If anything could qualify as 'armed to the terror of the public' (without brandishing, threats and capability of carrying out those threats) it would be a number of folks with long guns and sidearms gathered together in a public place.

Without court rulings it just is hard to say. I am sure the police dept if professionally run wants less hassles than more, and making arrests of a large peaceful group would just be counter productive, IMO. Not only that but there is a chance they would get a ruling not favorable to them. This wording needs to be removed from our laws, and is more important than eating in a restaurant that serves alcohol when you can't legally drink while CC in the first place. The lobbyists need to pull their head out of the dark side and actually work on laws that are a hindrance to our safety.

brutus1776

Without court rulings it just is hard to say. I am sure the police dept if professionally run wants less hassles than more, and making arrests of a large peaceful group would just be counter productive, IMO. Not only that but there is a chance they would get a ruling not favorable to them. This wording needs to be removed from our laws, and is more important than eating in a restaurant that serves alcohol when you can't legally drink while CC in the first place. The lobbyists need to pull their head out of the dark side and actually work on laws that are a hindrance to our safety.

A Com-lib City Councilman made a fuss over OC at the 'Day of Resistance' Rally in A-ville.
He is now doing his darndest to make sure it never happens again...

http://www.citizen-times.com/articl...well-City-dropped-ball-by-allowing-guns-rally

Note the police comment: They said the event didnt constitute a 'Picket Line'

As always, the devil is in the details. If this really was essentially an 'Oathkeeper' action on the part of APD...Much respect to them.