• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling from the land of persecution to Colorado

DanNabis

Hello.

I am from the terrible (for firearms enthusiasts) state NJ.

I am leaving to live in a state with more reasonable, liberty respecting laws.

I am traveling across country soon and I was hoping to be able to OC as much as possible along the way, maybe continuously once I get to the first car-friendly OC state.

So what do you think are the best routes for an OC-er to travel from New Jersey to Colorado, with as little harassment as unarmed time as possible?

davidmcbeth

Banned
CO will seem like a paradise compared to craphole NJ....but only for a while...

they should put into a tom-tom gfz and other gun restricted areas

"turn left here to avoid a GFZ"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello.

I am from the terrible (for firearms enthusiasts) state NJ.

I am leaving to live in a state with more reasonable, liberty respecting laws.

I am traveling across country soon and I was hoping to be able to OC as much as possible along the way, maybe continuously once I get to the first car-friendly OC state.

So what do you think are the best routes for an OC-er to travel from New Jersey to Colorado, with as little harassment as unarmed time as possible?

Welcome to OCDO.

While I appreciate your problem, I doubt that anyone will attempt to map your route for you - there are just too many variables.
In PA you can OC, but not in a vehicle w/o a permit - so will you transverse PA or cross in a more restrictive state? While VA is very attuned to OC, you'd have to pass through Wash. D.C. and/or MD - both would be bad.

When you have made your decision, let us know.

Hope you're not ending up in Denver or Denver County - neither allows OC.

You will need to determine your best route considering your desire to OC as much as possible and any other influencing factors.

mobiushky

If you have a smartphone, get the legal heat app. It's a pretty decent app that has laws for every state. It's a patchwork across the US. I traveled a lot between CO and Indy. Illinois is a no-no carry place. Your gun is to be stored in a locked container/away from the driver in a trailer that is monitored by 3 highway patrol officers and a itchy desire to arrest you... just kidding. But there's no OC in Illinois so, don't bother.

Anyway, the other place to look is handgunlaw.us. It's a good website.

DanNabis

Thank you for the responses.

I don't expect anyone to plot a route for me, but maybe share pitfalls and advice/experience as some of you may have travelled in areas between NJ and CO.

I have no qualms extending my trip length in order to exercise my rights. I really believe this shouldn't be an issue anywhere as it is an inherent right only reaffirmed by documents and given by no higher power than God (or by birth for the Atheists), but the legal system is rather 'fuhcoktah.'

Mobiushky, Thank you, I will look in to mobile heat.

Here's my basic idea so far - Avoiding PA since no OC in vehicles.

Start: NO Carry - NJ to DE/MD to

OC - VA to KY to

Iffy - MO / AR to KS to
**** The OpenCarry.org OC map lists AR as a gold star state and yet the page on AR explains that OC is not even actually an option in AR - rather confusing.
*I'm thinking since I'm only passing through, that AR might be ok with OC in vehicle. Maybe I'll just try not to stop there unless for gas. Or I'll stick to MO which seems to allow adult OC in cars and while passing through.

OC - CO (<-amazing how Colorado's abbreviation hasthe same letters as Open Carry. :) )

I just want to try and find out as many issues or problems I might face as I travel and I'd like to have to take off my holster as little as possible.

Has anyone had any experience travelling OC in these states or through them??

DanNabis

Welcome to OCDO.

Hope you're not ending up in Denver or Denver County - neither allows OC.

I agree. I am saddened that Denver county and city have created such useless foolish laws, but they may serve a better purpose when they are overturned in court.

I will be avoiding Denver like the plague.
I'd love to be able to live OC. Luckily I'm not going to Denver. Hopefully I will be better able to help defend our rights as a CO citizen, in NJ the social-political atmosphere is overwhelmingly unhelpful/dark ages. There's just been so much less experience with firearms in this state in recent decades, despite the states rich firearm history. Poor Henry Arms. People are afraid of what they don't know.

I'm going to go through the no carry MD/DE since they are small and it's basicly still NJ/NJ law similar. I'll be glad when I reach VA.

DanNabis

OC seems like such a natural thing while headed west with my possessions.

Why should anyone have to be unarmed, like cattle ripe for the harvest?
Bank trucks and politicians travel with armed protection, they are no more important than any individual, all lives being inherently equal until they resort to crime or non-defensive violence.

Almost like rolling west in a covered wagon.

If you have your life and possessions, why would you not be able and ready to protect yourself?
There is nothing out there to protect you from anything, whether crooks or critters.
Police are not charged with protection, but punishment after a crime was committed.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Reply edited for content.

Erroneous state was referenced by me; therefore all of the cites are invalid.

Input equalled output - no surprise there :(

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...The OpenCarry.org OC map lists AR as a gold star state and yet the page on AR explains that OC is not even actually an option in AR - rather confusing.
*I'm thinking since I'm only passing through, that AR might be ok with OC in vehicle. Maybe I'll just try not to stop there unless for gas. Or I'll stick to MO which seems to allow adult OC in cars and while passing through.
My underlining of the "AR" DanNabis refers to.:)

Don't have any idea which "page" to which you refer that might indicate that OC is not an option in Arizona.

Arizona is one of our “Gold Star” open carry states.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=186

[url]http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=101

[/URL]
Any person 21 years of age or older, who is not prohibited possessor, may carry a weapon openly or concealed without the need for a license.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/arizona.aspx

Arizona is one of a few states where open carry of a handgun is allowed without a license, unless there is a sign posted that clearly limits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. Arizona is a constitutional carry state whereby a resident may carry a handgun without a license unless otherwise prohibited.
http://www.gunlawsbystate.com/#!/states/arizona-gun-laws/introduction/

While I find great pleasure in finding a plug for the sunny, dry state of Arizona, I don't think DanNabis was asking about it.
But thanks for the pick-me-up Grapeshot. Haven't yet had your coffee, I gather.:p

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

DanNabis, if you like CO laws (for the most part), you're sure to love Arizona laws (as Grapeshot pointed out so lovingly:p).
In what is the Four-Corners area, Arizona and Nevada have some pretty good laws. If you're ever down in Arizona, make sure to let us know (I'm sure the Nevada members echo my sentiment).

Best of luck on your journey, and hope you and yours experience only beautiful scenery and the occasional food or restroom break.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Kind of off topic: I wonder if we should start up a New Underground Railroad for "smuggling" Freedom-loving individuals to Freedom-loving states.:lol:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Don't have any idea which "page" to which you refer that might indicate that OC is not an option in Arizona.

Arizona is one of our “Gold Star” open carry states.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=186

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=101

Any person 21 years of age or older, who is not prohibited possessor, may carry a weapon openly or concealed without the need for a license.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/arizona.aspx

Arizona is one of a few states where open carry of a handgun is allowed without a license, unless there is a sign posted that clearly limits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. Arizona is a constitutional carry state whereby a resident may carry a handgun without a license unless otherwise prohibited.
http://www.gunlawsbystate.com/#!/states/arizona-gun-laws/introduction/

While I find great pleasure in finding a plug for the sunny, dry state of Arizona, I don't think DanNabis was asking about it.
But thanks for the pick-me-up Grapeshot. Haven't yet had your coffee, I gather.:p

DanNabis, if you like CO laws (for the most part), you're sure to love Arizona laws (as Grapeshot pointed out so lovingly:p).
In what is the Four-Corners area, Arizona and Nevada have some pretty good laws. If you're ever down in Arizona, make sure to let us know (I'm sure the Nevada members echo my sentiment).

Best of luck on your journey, and hope you and yours experience only beautiful scenery and the occasional food or restroom break.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Kind of off topic: I wonder if we should start up a New Underground Railroad for "smuggling" Freedom-loving individuals to Freedom-loving states.:lol:

"I",,, will be the one to tell grapeshot,,, that
AR,,, is NOT Arizona!!!!!
It is Arkansas!!!

ETA thanks fattykrack you and I posted together,,,,
But it was something grape just had to hear...

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Apparently too much coffee - brain was on a collision course with my head. :banghead:

Will go back and edit out the erroneous reference.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You dont need to do any time,,, all ready got you for the ride,,, We be Even...

Community service=tell me ... drowning terrorist,,, ferry tale 3,,, free coffee,,, ETC!!!!
Way too involved/off topic for this thread.

A settlement offer has been accepted as of Friday w/non-disclosure statement. Expect to see all that led up to that shortly.

DanNabis

I appreciate the responses.

it really is a ton of work for gun owners, we basicly need to be lawyer scholars in todays world. The laws can be quite difficult to find explicit answers in. And travelling adds so many jurisdictions.

I understand localities can regulate firearm discharge, but we could really use one unified clear cut decision/amendment/statue that simply says open carry is legal everywhere.

I'm getting ready for this and its quite a handful..
I think I'll be pretty good sticking to the above itinerary.

Going to have to practice my appropriate LEO answers.

Rusty Young Man

There is one appropriate answer to all LEO questions, "I exercise my Fifth Amendment right to silence absent contrary advise of counsel."

"I don't mean to sound rude officer, but I do not consent to this encounter and would like to be on my way. If I am being arrested or detained, then I exercise my Right to remain silent as protected by the fifth amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Any further questions you may have will only be answered with my lawyer present in a court of law."

Last edited: