• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

visiting/ passing thru in a few weeks

carpman15

i will be visiting / passing through in a few weeks i am from wi i have ccw card here but i know its not honored there i have done some searching it looks as if im ok to open carry as long as im not in the car ???

any help is appreciated

carpman15

i just get worried because there is a girl in wi being charged with a criminal charge because she had her gun on her front seat when she got pulled over and i dont want to end up in that boat so i guess i get over cautious but yes i will most likely keep it on my hip as we pass through also are many places there posted?? since wisconsin just passed conc carry in november alot of places have been posting and i was wondering if you guys are that way - im going to assume as the law gets older less people will be posted and will "forget" it is legal to have guns etc- i think alot of people over react to having guns lol

PattonIII

I have not seen many places posted. Some say no weapons and others have a picture of a gun crossed out. Now not knowing the exact laws where you will be going I can not say where you can carry and not meaning here in Fort Scott city/government, school grounds, and places mark you can not carry. Other then that you can carry openly unless asked to take it out side. That has not happened to me once in this town, I open carry every day even in Walmart and no one cares. I was even up in KCK yesterday and went to Hooters, I sat down with my gun on my hip and no one even looked surprised. I asked the manager (I think that is who he was) if he sees that a lot, he told me that he does not but supports the right to do so as long as drinking and/or trouble from the person(s) carrying. I can say I thank and respect the people there for there maturity on the matter.

carpman15

We will be going through on i35 from Missouri into Oklahoma I think I don't think we will be stopping much so I'm not too worried but I think we will be going through Kansas city tho

Echo4PapaBravo

To be on the safe side, just OC. You can't CC in a vehicle in Kansas even with a CCW permit, it has to be in plain view or locked up, and out of reach of non-CCW holders if loaded. I looked on the Kansas Gov site and didn't see WI listed as a recognized CCW permit, but WI recognizes Kansas so there is probably reciprocity. Still, no reason to chance it. As long as you are open carrying you should be fine, though in Kansas if you don't have a CCW permit you are supposed to carry in the open and unloaded while in a vehicle. Fortunately for us all, Kansas has not defined "unloaded" so as long as you keep your chamber clear you should be fine everywhere in the State, even if your CCW is not recognized.

To be on the safest side, if you get pulled over just drop the mag and stick it in the cup holder or console as the officer walks up to the vehicle, just in case he wants to be an ass. Though for the most part, except for Overland Park and Wichita, I haven't heard too many recent stories about cops even making much of a deal of it so long as you let them know and don't surprise them with it...or make any sudden moves toward the weapon.

sha-ul

To be on the safe side, just OC. You can't CC in a vehicle in Kansas even with a CCW permit, it has to be in plain view or locked up, and out of reach of non-CCW holders if loaded. I looked on the Kansas Gov site and didn't see WI listed as a recognized CCW permit, but WI recognizes Kansas so there is probably reciprocity. Still, no reason to chance it. As long as you are open carrying you should be fine, though in Kansas if you don't have a CCW permit you are supposed to carry in the open and unloaded while in a vehicle. Fortunately for us all, Kansas has not defined "unloaded" so as long as you keep your chamber clear you should be fine everywhere in the State, even if your CCW is not recognized.

To be on the safest side, if you get pulled over just drop the mag and stick it in the cup holder or console as the officer walks up to the vehicle, just in case he wants to be an ass. Though for the most part, except for Overland Park and Wichita, I haven't heard too many recent stories about cops even making much of a deal of it so long as you let them know and don't surprise them with it...or make any sudden moves toward the weapon.

Dude! I don't know when you took your CCW class, but some of your post is way off. You need to re-read the laws&/ call the KSAG to catch up on any changes.

PattonIII

From what my local PD (Fort Scott PD) has told me and these are right from them. For open carry "You can carry any where but school grounds, city buildings, government buildings, and places with posted signs. Keep the chamber clear and stores have the right to ask you to take your gun outside" As for in a car "You can openly carry it or conceal it as long as it is not touching your body if concealed. The judge told us the concealed permit is to carry on your person not in your car so again as long as it is not touching your body it can be concealed in your car" They prefer it be open to avoid drama with cops who do not know that is the law and that you keep your hands on the steering wheel is stopped.

sha-ul

From what my local PD (Fort Scott PD) has told me and these are right from them. For open carry "You can carry any where but school grounds, city buildings, government buildings, and places with posted signs. Keep the chamber clear and stores have the right to ask you to take your gun outside" As for in a car "You can openly carry it or conceal it as long as it is not touching your body if concealed. The judge told us the concealed permit is to carry on your person not in your car so again as long as it is not touching your body it can be concealed in your car" They prefer it be open to avoid drama with cops who do not know that is the law and that you keep your hands on the steering wheel is stopped.

This part does not sound right, and if someone told you that a ccw only allows you to carry concealed on your person, but not to conceal a handgun in your vehicle while driving, it smells like Dodge city.

http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_12/Article_16/12-16x124.html

Chapter 12: Cities And Municipalities
Article 16: Miscellaneous Provisions
Statute 12-16,124: Firearms and ammunition; regulation by city or county, limitations. (a) No city or county shall adopt any ordinance, resolution or regulation, and no agent of any city or county shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, transfer, ownership, storage or transporting of firearms or ammunition, or any component or combination thereof. Except as provided in subsection (b) and subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments thereto, any such ordinance, resolution or regulation adopted prior to the effective date of this 2007 act shall be null and void.

(b) Nothing in this section shall:

(1) Prohibit a law enforcement officer, as defined in K.S.A. 22-2202, and amendments thereto, from acting within the scope of such officer's duties;

(2) prohibit a city or county from regulating the manner of openly carrying a loaded firearm on one's person; or in the immediate control of a person, not licensed under the personal and family protection act while on property open to the public;

(3) prohibit a city or county from regulating in any manner the carrying of any firearm in any jail, juvenile detention facility, prison, courthouse, courtroom or city hall; or

(4) prohibit a city or county from adopting an ordinance, resolution or regulation requiring a firearm transported in any air, land or water vehicle to be unloaded and encased in a container which completely encloses the firearm or any less restrictive provision governing the transporting of firearms, provided such ordinance, resolution or regulation shall not apply to persons licensed under the personal and family protection act.

(c) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section and subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments thereto, no person shall be prosecuted or convicted of a violation of any ordinance, resolution or regulation of a city or county which regulates the storage or transportation of a firearm if such person (1) is storing or transporting the firearm without violating any provision of the Kansas criminal code or (2) is otherwise transporting the firearm in a lawful manner.

(d) No person shall be prosecuted under any ordinance, resolution or regulation for transporting a firearm in any air, land or water vehicle if the firearm is unloaded and encased in a container which completely encloses the firearm.

BigTzzy

Let me set the record straight.

If you have a concealed handgun permit you can carry your handgun concealed anywhere you want so long as the building is not posted with the attorney general approved signage. (The only exception to this is places in Topeka like the governor's mansion and office)

You can carry your handgun on your person whether or not you are in a vehicle with a CCW.

Now, if you DON'T have a CCW you can carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle so long as it is not within reach of the driver. The glove box is considered NOT in reach of the driver.

For the complete list of rules you can go THIS PDF.

The important part really is:

Kansas Law said:
75-7c10
Chapter 75.--STATE DEPARTMENTS; PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
Article 7c.—FIREARMS
75-7c10. Same; places where carrying concealed weapon not authorized; penalties for
violations. (a) Provided that the premises are conspicuously posted in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the
attorney general as premises where carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited
, no license issued or recognized pursuant to
this act shall authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into the building of:
(1) Any place where an activity declared a common nuisance by K.S.A. 22-3901, and amendments thereto, is maintained;
(2) any police, sheriff or highway patrol station;
(3) any detention facility, prison or jail;
(4) any courthouse, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed handgun or
determining who may carry a concealed handgun in the judge's courtroom;
(5) any polling place on the day an election is held;
(6) any state office;
(7) any facility hosting an athletic event not related to or involving firearms which is sponsored by a private or public
elementary or secondary school or any private or public institution of postsecondary education;
(8) any facility hosting a professional athletic event not related to or involving firearms;
(9) any drinking establishment as defined by K.S.A. 41-2601, and amendments thereto;
(10) any elementary or secondary school, attendance center, administrative office, services center or other facility;
(11) any community college, college or university;
(12) any child exchange and visitation center provided for in K.S.A. 75-720, and amendments thereto;
(13) any community mental health center organized pursuant to K.S.A. 19-4001 et seq., and amendments thereto; any
mental health clinic organized pursuant to K.S.A. 65-211 et seq., and amendments thereto; any psychiatric hospital licensed
under K.S.A. 75-3307b, and amendments thereto; or a state psychiatric hospital, as follows: Larned state hospital,
Osawatomie state hospital or Rainbow mental health facility;
(14) any public library operated by the state;
(15) any day care home or group day care home, as defined in Kansas administrative regulation 28-4-113, or any preschool
or childcare center, as defined in Kansas administrative regulation 28-4-420; or
(16) any place of worship.
(b) Nothing in this act shall be construed to prevent:
(1) any public or private employer from restricting or prohibiting by personnel policies persons licensed under this act from
carrying a concealed handgun while on the premises of the employer’s business or while engaged in the duties of the
person’s employment by the employer, except that no employer may prohibit possession of a handgun in a private means of
conveyance, even if parked on the employer’s premises; or
(2) any private business or city, county or political subdivision from restricting or prohibiting persons licensed under this
act from carrying a concealed handgun within a building or buildings of such entity, provided that the premises are posted,
in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the attorney general pursuant to this section, as premises where
carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited;
(c)(1) It shall be a violation of this section to carry a concealed handgun in violation of any restriction or prohibition
allowed by subsection (a) or (b) if the premises are posted in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the attorney
general pursuant to subsection (f). Any person who violates this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a
fine of: (A) not more than $50 dollars for the first offense; or (B) not more than $100 for the second offense. Any third or
subsequent offense is a class B misdemeanor.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a) and (b), it is not a violation of this section for the United States
attorney for the district of Kansas, the attorney general, any district attorney or county attorney, any assistant United States
attorney if authorized by the United States attorney for the district of Kansas, any assistant attorney general if authorized
by the attorney general, or any assistant district attorney or assistant county attorney if authorized by the district attorney or
county attorney by whom such assistant is employed, to possess a handgun within any of the buildings described in
subsection (a) or (b), subject to any restrictions or prohibitions imposed in any courtroom by the chief judge of the judicial
district. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any person who is not in compliance with K.S.A. 2011 Supp.
75-7c19, and amendments thereto.
(d) For the purpose of this section, “building” shall not include any structure, or any area of a structure, designed for the
parking of motor vehicles.
(e) Nothing in this act shall be construed to authorize the carrying or possession of a handgun where prohibited by federal
law.
(f) The attorney general shall adopt rules and regulations prescribing the location, content, size, and other characteristics of
signs to be posted on premises where carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited pursuant to subsections (a) and (b). Such
regulations shall prescribe, at a minimum, that:
(1) The signs be posted at all exterior entrances to the prohibited buildings;
(2) they be posted at eye level of adults using the entrance and not more than 12 inches to the right or left of such entrance;
(3) the signs not be obstructed or altered in any way; and
(4) signs which become illegible for any reason be immediately replaced.
History: L. 2006, ch. 32, § 10; L. 2006, ch. 210, § 7; July 1; L. 2007, ch. 166, § 5, May 3; L. 2009, ch. 92, § 5, L. 2010, ch.
140, §9; July 1.

The bold and underlining was done by me but that is the most important part of the whole section. Simply means if there is not an approved no gun sign posted in accordance with the rules the AG set forth then you can carry.

Also, your WI ccw is not recognized yet in Kansas. So, your only option is to open carry. Open Carry can be regulated by each city/county.

Hope this helps.

PattonIII

What I meant was you do not need a CCW to conceal in your car as long as it is not touching your body. If it is touching your body it then becomes "on your person" where you would need a CCW. Again this is only what they told me. I make it a habit to call and/or go to a police station to find out there regulations before carrying.

marine0300

If you have a concealed carry permit you can carry however you want in a vehicle. I mean any way you want open , concealed, loaded, unloaded, shot gun rack you name it your auto is an extension of your home. This is the main reason I got a concealed carry permit. House Bill 2528 made this possible.

Also Fort Scott is open carry this is the link on this site to their city ordinance. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?66884-Fort-Scott-Open-Carry

I totally respect our law enforcement but they are not lawyers and most officers do not know the law.

Updated 5/4/2007
Concealed Carry Modifications in Light of H.B. 2528
The following analysis of the language passed by the Legislature in HB 2528 is intended to provide some guidance to Kansas concealed carry licensees. The information provided is based on language contained in HB 2528 and should not be viewed as an Attorney General’s opinion.
Preemption of City & County Ordinances etc.
-House bill 2528, in its modification of K.S.A. 12-16,124, allows concealed carry licensees to take their loaded weapons off of their person while they are traveling in their vehicles and not be subject to local ordinances or resolutions regarding the open carry or unlawful transportation of firearms.
-With no requirement for vehicle occupancy, the changes made to K.S.A.
12-16,124(b)(4) allows concealed carry licensees to leave their weapon, loaded or unloaded, in their vehicle. Again, the purpose for preempting city and county regulations was to shield licensees from local firearms violations in the event that they removed their weapons from their person while traveling throughout the state.
-Cities and counties still have the authority to regulate the open carry of firearms “on one’s person.” These local regulations apply to concealed carry licensees as well as the general public.

Posting of certain properties
-The requirements for “no concealed carry” signage also changed with the passage of HB 2528. In order to bring charges of unlawful concealed carry against a licensee, those properties previously enumerated under
K.S.A. 75-7c10 (schools, bars, churches, school & professional athletic events, churches, etc.) must now be posted. One exception to this is the provision regarding carrying in or on areas prohibited by Federal law; these areas are under no obligation to post their properties.
-Also changed with HB 2528, business owners (both public and private) may continue to post their buildings to restrict the concealed carry of firearms, but parking lots are no longer allowed to be posted.
-Cities and counties may continue to post their buildings, but parks, greenways, etc., are no longer allowed to be posted.
-Employers, both public and private, may continue to restrict a licensed employee’s ability to carry concealed while they are performing the duties of their employ, but licensed employees are allowed to store their firearm in their private means of conveyance, even if parked on company property.

Licensing requirements
-In light of the fact that under Federal law, certain individuals with convictions for “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” are not allowed to possess a firearm, some change was necessary to our concealed carry laws to bring our law in line with the Federal law. Now, under
K.S.A 75-7c04(a)(6)(C), any adult conviction or diversion (even if expunged) or any adjudication as a juvenile within the 5 years preceeding application will disqualify an applicant. Outside of that 5 year window, pursuant to K.S.A. 75-7c04(a)(5), any adult conviction or adjudication as a juvenile for a “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” as defined by Federal statute 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(33) will disqualify an applicant for licensure. A conviction, under Federal law, will not include a conviction that has been expunged, set aside, pardoned, or a violation for which the person has had their civil rights restored (unless the restoration of civil rights includes a prohibition from the receiving, possessing, etc. of firearms).
-Additionally, the reporting of involuntary commitment orders, for mental illness or drug or alcohol abuse, was updated to ensure that there are no gaps in time between those reported dating back to July 1, 1998 and now. Essentially, the law now reads any involuntary commitment orders entered going back to July 1, 1998 and any involuntary commitment orders entered in the future must be sent to the KBI database with certain identifying information about the person being ordered to treatment.
-Finally, as the Child in Need of Care statutory numbering was changed in 2006, the statutory provisions enumerated in K.S.A. 75-7c04(a)(14) were updated to coincide with those 2006 numbering changes.

carpman15

so in the car i have to carry unloaded? as far as out of the car it doesnt have to be unloaded tho? thanks guys will be leaving on thursday for the trip and i want to get the info thanks again
again i do not have a kansas permit and from what ive found so far my wi card is not valid there

protias

so in the car i have to carry unloaded? as far as out of the car it doesnt have to be unloaded tho? thanks guys will be leaving on thursday for the trip and i want to get the info thanks again
again i do not have a kansas permit and from what ive found so far my wi card is not valid there

Get your AZ permit and you can carry (concealed) in KS.