• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Everyone's opinion on open carry in general please keep it friendly

Do you agree with any of these opinions

• Total voters

BAHLZOUT2001

Im from NY so I had to deal with background checks saftey courses etc. I am 100% all for open carrying a sidearm. I have a few things that bother me that I hear from other people about their views with open carry. I do not intend this to hurt anyone or start a heated debate because I respect everyones opinion that they are entitled to. I just want to voice my opinion and see what others think about the topics.
#1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont want felons or crazies running around with pistols)
#2- I believe every permit owner should have to take a saftey course on the basic workings of a handgun. and they should have to be a certain age 18 is what I think. (basically for the same reason you cant drink until your 21 RESPONSSIBILITY!! and i believe you should have to have basic saftey for just that reason basic saftey)
#3- I believe people should have to add all firearms legally to their permits and should have to add guns to their permit whether or not it was bought at retail or private seller
because you never know where or from who your buying a pistol from.
I dont agree with people walking around with hammers cocked and ready. one in the chamber is fine but you shouldnt be hot all the time.
these are just a few of my opinions. A scumbag criminal will not open carry and a handgun is like a fire extinguisher you need to have one but hopefully wont ever have to use it. police officers are not always the fastest ones to the scene. please respond to this post and please keep it friendly. also if there are any other new yorkers on thiis site please let me know and lets get some open carry rallies going!!!!!:D

Last edited:

eye95

I was going to select that last choice, but it makes no sense.

What do I have that can be referred to as my "an idiot," and why would that be a poll choice?

Seriously, I think your (not you're) stances are anti-Libery. You're (not your) in for it now.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
My thoughts on any kind of permits, tests, licensing, etc....

Should firearms or firearm owners be subject to testing to receive a license to carry a firearm?
The Argument Against
Author Nick Smith
No, no, no... it says "....shall not be infringed." no training, no class, no license, nada...the government is to be absent from a citizens right to 'keep' (own) and 'bear' (carry, open or concealed).

Now for one minute let's tear apart this stupid licensing idea.

You take ONE test to drive a car when you are 16 and then NEVER have to prove competency again. The test is simple, multiple choice and teaches you nothing that you can't read on your own. You take ONE driving test and then NEVER have to prove your ability ever again, EVER. Your driver’s license is recognized in any of the 50 states. Therefore, you can have learned to drive in Alaska with very little traffic, yet your license is good in New York, New York or Los Angeles, CA.

You can therefore be 66 years old and have not taken a test, written or physical in 50 YEARS. Do you think cars have changed in the last 50 years? The 'you have to have a license to drive' argument doesn't hold water, it is a joke. How many times driving have you said to yourself; 'that old man shouldn't be driving', 'that woman shouldn't be driving', 'that immigrant shouldn't be driving', 'that teenager shouldn't be driving?' We have all said this to ourselves. The argument simply is ridiculous and is now null and void.

And even with licensing, we still have; drunk drivers, negligent drivers, hit and runs, get away (from crime) drivers, stolen cars, speeding in school zones and more.

YOU SEE THAT LICENSING DRIVERS (AND CARS) DOES NOTHING TO PREVENT CRIME FROM CARS...OR FROM DRIVERS.

We must all simply accept that we choose to live in a free society. In a free society their are inherit risks and there is evil and there is great joy. Part of living in a free society is that we must accept responsibility for our actions. There are things in a free society that people will always not like and will always be opposed to and never agree upon, we must learn to accept that and yet choose to live together in peace and respect.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

BAHLZOUT2001

post messup in the poll

i screwed that poll up it was meant to mean your an idiot coming from the posters to the poll directed towards me sorry for confusion

eye95

i screwed that poll up it was meant to mean your an idiot coming from the posters to the poll directed towards me sorry for confusion

Well, writing English, with proper punctuation and capitalization would help there.

For example:

I screwed that poll up. It was meant to mean, "You're an idiot," coming from you posters to the poll, directed toward me. Sorry for the confusion.

Of course, most folks still won't think that they are the "idiot" to which the poll choice refers.

gsx1138

I think it's bullsh!t that we even have to pay a tax or register Class 3 weapons. We should be able to buy the exact same weapons (firearms) that the military uses. That was the original intent of the 2a.

MatieA

Im from NY so I had to deal with background checks saftey courses etc. I am 100% all for open carrying a sidearm. I have a few things that bother me that I hear from other people about their views with open carry. I do not intend this to hurt anyone or start a heated debate because I respect everyones opinion that they are entitled to. I just want to voice my opinion and see what others think about the topics.
#1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont want felons or crazies running around with pistols)
#2- I believe every permit owner should have to take a saftey course on the basic workings of a handgun. and they should have to be a certain age 18 is what I think. (basically for the same reason you cant drink until your 21 RESPONSSIBILITY!! and i believe you should have to have basic saftey for just that reason basic saftey)
#3- I believe people should have to add all firearms legally to their permits and should have to add guns to their permit whether or not it was bought at retail or private seller
because you never know where or from who your buying a pistol from.
I dont agree with people walking around with hammers cocked and ready. one in the chamber is fine but you shouldnt be hot all the time.
these are just a few of my opinions. A scumbag criminal will not open carry and a handgun is like a fire extinguisher you need to have one but hopefully wont ever have to use it. police officers are not always the fastest ones to the scene. please respond to this post and please keep it friendly. also if there are any other new yorkers on thiis site please let me know and lets get some open carry rallies going!!!!!:D

#1 Even with New York's incredible system of training and permitting to even be allowed to purchase a gun the "Crazies" still have them. Anyone that thinks permitting and/or requiring training is going to stop the crazies from carrying and/or using a firearm is crazy.
#2 When do we start requiring safety classes to be allowed to use kitchen knives; An awful lot of people have been killed by knives -- even unintentionally.
#3 Why even have a permit to buy a gun? Do you really honestly believe that requiring someone to have a permit to purchase a gun is going to stop a criminal (who is already planning on breaking the law) from breaking the law and obtaining a gun without said permit?

My $.02

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP #1- I believe people should still have to go through background checks with credible references phsyc checks etc before being handed a permit. (you dont want felons or crazies running around with pistols)

Like the government, for instance?

I'm guessing, then, you would be in favor of every government executive and judicial officer being thoroughly tested, back-round checked, and safety-trained--before he is allowed to control and direct armed government agents. Right? I mean, really. Worse than just a government agent with a gun, these are the guys who direct the agents with the guns. Wouldn't these be the first people that needed a thorough mental evaluation, training, testing, back-round checking? I can only mis-direct my one gun. These guys can mis-direct numerous guns in the hands of government agents. Just ask the boys at Lexington Green about the royal Secretary of State who sent Gage and his redcoats to seize the colonists arms and powder.

On a more serious note, nobody wants felons or psychotics running around with pistols. But, an even worse solution is to have government dictating who can and can't be armed. Government has already shown beyond a doubt that it cannot be trusted with rights, and this lesson has been old since Magna Carta.

Last edited:

Ruby

Civil we can do; friendly is pushing it. Are you sure you have the right forum? The is OCDO, not the forum for the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence. You sound very anti to me. Some states already have at least some of these requirements; it hasn't reduced crime in the least. As someone else said criminals will still get guns regardless of the laws you pass because they don't observe them anyway. All you do with such restrictions is hamstring the law abiding citizens from protecting themselves. I doubt very much you will find anyone on this forum who will be in favor of the laws you propose. Most people carry however they feel most comfortable, as is their right. It is not up to you or anyone else to tell someone how they should carry their gun or defend themselves. If condition one makes YOU uncomfortable, don't carry that way! But don't take that right away from other people. I carry in condition one, the hammer on my 1911 cocked and locked. The bad guy who decides to try to attack me isn't going to warn me in advance, so I want every advantage I can have to respond. Maybe those are the restrictions you have to live under in New York; I don't know that much about New York's gun laws. You might want to consider relocating to a freer state where you have some self defense rights.

Ruby

What do I have that can be referred to as my "an idiot," and why would that be a poll choice?

Seriously, I think your (not you're) stances are anti-Libery. You're (not your) in for it now.

Since you are all for proper grammer, spelling, etc., eye, it's anti-liberty not anti libery. Sorry, couldn't resist ribbing you!:p

Jack House

Since you are all for proper grammer, spelling, etc., eye, it's anti-liberty not anti libery. Sorry, couldn't resist ribbing you!:p
Oh sweet, sweet irony. Do ye know no compassion?

Last edited:

Broondog

it appears to me that the OP is all for permits and registration. i don't think he/she's going to get on well around here.

what part of "...shall not be infringed...." is so hard to understand?

sultan62

#1 - It is a right, not a privilege. No regulation. If a felon is too dangerous to own a gun, he's too dangerous to be on the street.

#2 - Again, it is a right, not a privilege. No regulation.

#3 - No entity, public, private, or governmental, has any right to know what weapons I possess.

Locked & Loaded-absolutely. I carry condition 1, as I believe most do. I want to be able to use my weapon as quickly and easily as possible-meaning one hand operation. I do not have a hammer on my carry weapon, but if I did you can bet I'd still be condition 1. Anyone with experience knows that guns don't magically discharge. Carrying cocked is only a problem for an uneducated person.

1245A Defender

been banned before??

i dont think you are from N.Y.
good luck trying to have an OC rally, N.Y. doesnt allow OC
you are a quasi anti that likes to argue
i wonder if!! erichonda30, ericfromparhump, vforvendetta, notforlong, ihaveasmallone would ask questions like these?

Last edited:

mosinnagant

i dont think you are from N.Y.
good luck trying to have an OC rally, N.Y. doesnt allow OC
you are a quasi anti that likes to argue
i wonder if!! erichonda30, ericfromparhump, vforvendetta, notforlong, ihaveasmallone would ask questions like these?

thats no me
but hopefully this guy is anti mosque like me