• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your spouses views on CC/OC?

deadlifter

Hello,

Im new to this forum, and I'd like to say theres alot of great reading and information. I havent OC'ed yet, but Im hoping to soon. I guess I have the first time jitters.

That being said, my wife is against it. Her father was killed(shot by another hunter) in a hunting accident when she was 12, so she has every right for her concern, and I try to be sympathetic and understanding of the delicate situation. Though she is starting to somewhat come around, and say less about my guns and ammo purchasing, and having our 4 year old around them.

We have a 4 year old son who I show the guns too, take shooting, and constantly remind him of the do's and donts of firearms, and the harm they can do if not treated with the respect they are due. My wife has stated she does not want our child to see my carrying out in public.

My question is have some of you who have faced opposition from your spouses handle it? I consider us a team, so saying leave her or find another are not options lol.

duckdog

We live in the north where we have bears, woles, and cats, so she's all for it. Just read the paper and look at the creepy crap goin'on and it may change her mid.

Vandil

My wife is fairly anti-gun in the house. I just try to keep them secured 100% of the time. Either in the holster or in the Bio-vault. I actually keep a majority of my larger and more "deadly" looking rifles in off site storage. I've been slowly working on her by a round about way. I bought her a bow which she enjoys shooting. Now I haul her with to the sportsman's club when I shoot so she's at least near the pistol range lol.

I also follow this course when buying a new handgun and bringing it home. "Hey honey I just bought you a new gun!"
"I don't even like guns!"
"Well I guess I'll have to keep it for you then.":monkey

Motofixxer

Welcome to the forum, for more info I encourage you to visit the link in my sig about New to Open Carrying in WI. There is lot's of valuable and informative info there.

As for the wife issue. That's the most common response for someone who is scared of firearms and never really got proper training. I have met just a few girls who were hesitant and fearful at first. Then they got educated and actually enjoy target shooting etc. Just have to acclimate her to the idea and slowly she will likely come around. Another idea is to look for the news stories around you. Show her the assaults, robberies, stabbings, murders in the area. She might actually start getting an accurate view of the world we live in.

apierce918

I am lucky to have a wife with one of the most relaxed views on gun ownership/ conceal carry of anyone I have personally met. I have my father-in-law to thank for that. He is a big shooter, and is like most of us here (but in MI) so she was raised around guns, the notion that they are the best self defense tool anyone can have, and all the safety that goes with it. I didnt have to persuade her at all... unless it is to get MORE guns...

BrewTownBagger

Welcome to the site, its a great place to be and to get your questions answered.

I have been OC'ing for about 6 months now, and I carry everyday. The wife was a little uneasy about the possible negative attention that it would bring but so far I have only had one person come up to me and give me any kind of grief.

The wife now is very comfortable with it and doesnt even notice it anymore, once a form of conceal carry passes, she too will be carrying herself. She doesnt carry now because it isnt good for business to have a gun hanging on her hip (shes a doctor)but has no problem keeping a firearm in her purse.

As far as concerns might go, I think your wife went through an experience that Im not about to say I understand, and the best thing would be to educate and expose her to other like minded people. Maybe bring her around a meet n greet so she can talk with other women who are carrying

anyway thats my 2cents

Hope you hang around and keep us posted

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

My wife is mostly anti-gun, would rather have her rose colored glasses on that the police will protect her and my family. In fact we got into a heated argument over the concealed carry versus constitutional carry debate. She tried to tell me the constitution doesn't say we can conceal carry, I asked her to tell me what infringed means. Just elevated from there. Anyway she doesn't like guns, doesn't want them in the house and said if I "have to carry a gun" she would rather I carry concealed.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
My wife was uneasy when I started open carrying, she was worried that it would attract a bunch of attention while shopping, or scare our neighbors. None of that has happened and she is more comfortable now, it's not an issue any longer.

She was concerned about guns in the house when we first moved in together, I took her to the local shooting range and got her a shooting lesson from an instructor using my 'nightstand' gun. Once you got proficient with the guns and learned use it she felt a lot better about it. People are fearful of what they don't understand.

Now she is talking about the gun she wants for when concealed carry is allowed....

Badger Johnson

I suppose I have the best of all possible worlds. My SO is an avid shooter, drags me to gun shows, and buys me HGs. I tease her about how she's always dropping bullets on the bedroom floor when she's trying to load her mags (she has small hands).

We work as a team, and back each other up. Sometimes I even try to get her to play 'Scully and Mulder' with me and pretend we're tracking aliens or secret agents, haha.

When we go to Gander Mountain I catch her fondling the shotguns. She wants to get one and shoot skeet. No, she does not have a sister. :)

dinwi

92FS or LCP

My wife's only dilemma with CC is which gun to carry...
I guess it depends on how tight she wants to wear her clothes.
She keeps eying up my Kimber.... I think i'll have to tell her it makes her look fat...

:) Gotta love women who grew up in the UP in a hunting family !

D

carry for myself

i spent many years dating women who hated guns. the would insult me, inslut my hobbies, my profession, my passion. kind of like a liberal does to most of us.

your situation is tough because she was personally effected by a AD death. so honestly the best way to go about it is to just sit down and talk about it, and come to a mutual decision.

My girlfreind however is great about it. shes sitting next to me on the couch on her laptop writing an email to a highschool *shes an English teacher* and im OCing on my couch. when we go out, i wear it, ride around in her car with her, gun on the back seat, holster up when we get out. We live in a crappy town with lots of crime so she enjoys the fact that i am armed 24-7 even when i go to work. and on the 17th she is taking a CCW course with me here in our apartment. and even put a downpayment on a Sig P250 for herself ;-)

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
My GF of 13-14 yrs wants an AR-15 in "Hello Kitty" format.

Do I need say anymore?
She carries a 9mm, loves to shoot my .357, and she can handle a 20GA real well on the skeet range and the grouse woods.
She want to get into a Glock .40, but the grips do not fit her hands correctly, so maybe an XDm is in the works for her too, as long as the color scheme is different than mine.

Badger Johnson

My wife's only dilemma with CC is which gun to carry...
I guess it depends on how tight she wants to wear her clothes.
She keeps eying up my Kimber.... I think i'll have to tell her it makes her look fat...

I would not recommend telling an armed woman that something makes her look fat. :)

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
My GF of 13-14 yrs wants an AR-15 in "Hello Kitty" format.

13-14? Isn't that rather young Jerry Lee? We're talking serious jailbait here! But it explains the Hello Kitty stuff.

Ok, jokes aside... you have a good woman Nutczak!

So do I. Glock Girl won't let me leave home without checking to make sure I have my gun and my cell phone with me. She also keeps Hubert's and Nik's phone #'s handy in the event I encounter somebody who didn't get the memo.

She's also a certified instructor X3 and range safety officer.

CalicoJack10

When I started dating my better half, she would not even look at a gun. 6 months or so later, I started carrying. Now a couple years later she wants to carry as soon as we can get her the gun she wants.

The trick I used was getting her into shooting a .22 rifle and then talking to her as if I was worried about her safety when I could not be there. Eventually I wore her down and got her into shooting a pistol. The rest happened naturally.

Good luck!

sharkey

My wife was anti gun when we met. I took her to the range and she fell in love.

She carries both ways (that sounds bad or good). I think she looks sexy with a gun on her hip.

She got mad I didn't buy her a SKS when I bought my Glock.

However, she never lost anyone to a gun so just taking your girl out to the range probably won't cut it.

Last edited:

cheezhed

My wife is very pro gun and thinks open carry is okay but she is looking forward to when we can conceal