• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sandy Police - Doing the right thing - WVCPD take notice

LovesHisXD45

Well, the weather is warming up again, so it's no surprise that more of us are shedding our coats and exposing our guns more often. I'm posting to say that my hat goes off to the Sandy police for behaving EXACTLY like well-informed police should when somebody calls MWAG at the park playing tennis with his kids. (brings back memories of Centennial Park in WVC a couple of years ago).

Anyhow, I'll make this story short and simple, and that is the beauty of this as well. In essence, they came, they parked way off in the south east corner of the parking lot atop Flat Iron Mesa Park on Sunday afternoon and observed me from afar in their cars. They did not approach me. They did not question me. They did not harass or illegally detain me in violation of title 77-7-15, threaten my kids or shove ignorant and biased opinion down my throat. They did not call their buddies with AR-15s in for backup or any of the BS that the West Valley bacon did.

I finished up my time with my kids at the park without incident, and we left. This was the ideal LEO encounter, or rather non-encounter, and it was perfect. So, all you guys down there enforcing the law down in Sandy, you guys ROCK!!! Keep up the good work, and send Chief Nielsen and his band of thugs over in West Valley a manual on how to properly handle a call about MWAG. They could use a lesson out of your book.

Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
But there will be blood in the streets if we don't detain, investigate, infringe in an effort to make sure you're not a felon in possession!

Please read above with liberal helpings of sarcasm!

Utah_Patriot

Congrats will have to reference this incident next time the West Valley causes a issue with a citizen

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ManInBlack

Anyhow, I'll make this story short and simple, and that is the beauty of this as well. In essence, they came, they parked way off in the south east corner of the parking lot atop Flat Iron Mesa Park on Sunday afternoon and observed me from afar in their cars. They did not approach me. They did not question me. They did not harass or illegally detain me in violation of title 77-7-15, threaten my kids or shove ignorant and biased opinion down my throat. They did not call their buddies with AR-15s in for backup or any of the BS that the West Valley bacon did.

EXCELLENT!

This is exactly how reports of lawful behavior that make a sensitive sally vaguely uncomfortable should be handled. Observe, and hopefully lecture the sensitive sally on not abusing the 911 system. :D

Fallschirjmäger

But there will be blood in the streets if we don't detain, investigate, infringe in an effort to make sure you're not a felon in possession!
By their very words, they prove their disdain for the rule of law and the Constitution, witness this tidbit from PoliceOne.com
You can not tell if someone has a permit just by looking at him. That gives cause for the contact from the officers responding to the call. I don't know about GA, but my permit from WA does not have my picture on it. So how would the officers know if he was the same person listed on the permit. Many people have said it here already. This jackass was looking to sue and knew exactly how he was going to get it done......

hermannr

IMHO the 911 operator should have asked if the person with the gun in the park was doing anything with it, or was it just in a holster. If it was just in a holster, there is no problem, that is perfectly legal..and no tax payer funds should have been expended in checking out this perfectly legal holstered gun. That's how it works here.

But, until they get to that point, your Sandy PD does need a Kudu or two.

Logan 5

You'd love it in Colorado, where it's common place to infringe on the rights of the many in order to catch one or two cri-mi-nile folks.

gobbly

IMHO the 911 operator should have asked if the person with the gun in the park was doing anything with it, or was it just in a holster. If it was just in a holster, there is no problem, that is perfectly legal..and no tax payer funds should have been expended in checking out this perfectly legal holstered gun. That's how it works here.

But, until they get to that point, your Sandy PD does need a Kudu or two.

I think this comes in under the "community policing" policies where basically any call is responded too, and if requested, the officers will contact the complainant and explain to them the resolution...

I think the whole thing is ridiculous, but that's at least my understanding of it...

And really, after all, the cops have every right to come look, just like anyone else has the right to watch you in a public place. For all you know it was a slow night and they were bored, hehe. Kudos for them for not taking it any further.

Last edited: