• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry w/ one in the chamber? why or why not?

Daylen

OP HERE.

I figure one in the chamber is the best way to go.
But as a female (and a small one at that) there is constantly this thought of "what if he gets a hold of my gun?"

Maybe it's just my own paranoia.

He'll have a better chance of getting your gun if you have an empty chamber. Once he has it the difficulty in racking the slide is trivial since you are now disarmed.

Except police and criminals that make themselves familiar with such holsters and how to disengage the locking mechanisms...

im almost positive that a criminal is not going to go out buy all types of retention holsters just so they know how to rip one off. if they had that kind of money they wouldn't be robbing you of your firearm. and 2 if they get that close there will of course be a struggle, now im pretty sure your adrenaline will be pumping then giving you the extra muscle you never knew you had, witch will help you get the robber off of you.

im not trying to start a argument on here but i highly doubt that someones going to rip your gun out of a nice retention holster from behind you.

Daylen

im almost positive that a criminal is not going to go out buy all types of retention holsters just so they know how to rip one off. if they had that kind of money they wouldn't be robbing you of your firearm. and 2 if they get that close there will of course be a struggle, now im pretty sure your adrenaline will be pumping then giving you the extra muscle you never knew you had, witch will help you get the robber off of you.

im not trying to start a argument on here but i highly doubt that someones going to rip your gun out of a nice retention holster from behind you.

Well ones with badges do. A fellow local OCer had that happen a few months back.

Daylen

Last edited:

I assume and infer (as I'm not a mind reader) its because those involved didn't want someone to OC. Ask the guy in the other to LA thread why he was detained and harassed.

http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?103235-Detained-at-Sonny-s-BBQ

but a officer did not just walk up to him and snatch his gun off without saying a word first. IMO if a cop wants to walk up to me take my gun and arrest me more power to him. i will sit stay silent and be hauled off.

now if a cop walks up to me not saying a word sneaking up behind me snatching my gun i will already have pulled out my knife and stabbed his hand. that is a " no no"

so back on topic no one is going to try that and be able to pull your firearm without consent. But if a cop does stop you, and take your firearm LET THEM. Your not going to win right there on the street if the LEO doesnt know the laws. Fights are best won in court ,not the streets.

rmansu2

I assume and infer (as I'm not a mind reader) its because those involved didn't want someone to OC. Ask the guy in the other to LA thread why he was detained and harassed.

http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?103235-Detained-at-Sonny-s-BBQ

I actually saw him coming and acknowledged his call for backup as he approached. He did almost shoot his left nut off when he stuck my loaded pistol in his pocket after fumbling with it for a minute. I did inform him it was loaded an the safety was off. Stuck it in his pocket anyway.

I actually saw him coming and acknowledged his call for backup as he approached. He did almost shoot his left nut off when he stuck my loaded pistol in his pocket after fumbling with it for a minute. I did inform him it was loaded an the safety was off. Stuck it in his pocket anyway.

wow what a dumb ass he didnt even unload it? theres no way im sticking someones gun in my pocket that i dont even know how that gun works.

but back to what i was saying i dont think a cop will walk up behind someone grab there gun without a word. or you seeing that he is a cop. best of luck to you and your case with them.

4angrybadgers

<snip>
4angrybadgers mentioned that he often has his free hand occupied by a child making one-hand use ideal, but that would also make you an easier target to be disarmed. An empty chamber might have a place in that argument also.
<snip>

I know I'm a few days late replying, but... I don't think you quite thought the situation through. If one hand is occupied by a child (or anything else you can think of), working the slide to chamber a round is going to be very difficult and time-consuming, if not impossible. And the idea that it makes me an "easier target" is rather dumb. An empty chamber makes me an "easier target", because if SHTF and I need to shoot now, the gun is just a very expensive paperweight.

An empty chamber is a liability and a horrible idea.

Last edited:

Valerius

In order to have "15 in the mag and one in the pipe" you must have one in the pipe. IMO it's simple, any occasion when you would need to deploy a firearm is going to be chaotic and unpredictable. If you do not have one in the chamber when a situation arises, chambering the weapon will not only cost you valuable reaction time, but also costs the use of your off hand which may be needed elsewhere. Furthermore when adrenaline is surging and stress is high, often the simplest motor skills (ie chambering a round) become problematic. Also if your weapon is extended away from your body at all as it is being chambered it gives others a chance to see it and take cover or worse attempt to disarm you. To sum it up, an unloaded firearm is a paperweight, and one in the chamber simply means one less thing you have to concentrate on should the need for a weapon arise.

Last edited:

tcox4freedom

OP HERE.

But as a female (and a small one at that) there is constantly this thought of "what if he gets a hold of my gun?"

Maybe it's just my own paranoia.

1. Good retention holster
2. Get some good HtH training.

With these to things, even a small person can feel more confident. (Just as shot placement trumps caliber, good Hth skills can trump a BGs strength)

-

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
A Man (or woman) has to do what a man has to do!

Yes it is true. We all carry the way we all carry. What you do or not do may or may not work for me. If you feel confidant with your carry, cool. That said....

I do not conceal as a regular practice. I OC 365/24/7, just like everyone else. I carry DA/SA semi autos. I always, always carry with a round in the chamber, full(topped off) magazine, and the safety off. I also use a retention holster that I have verified by having my Sweet Baboo attempt to take it(unloaded)away from me. Pull it from the front, back, and side, just to be sure.

KBCraig

OP HERE.

Do you know the best way to defeat a gun grab attemp?

Start pulling the trigger! They tend to let go pretty quickly.

sraacke

Modern pistols are designed to be carried loaded and with a round chambered.
Some will say that they don't feel comfortable carrying with a chambered round because the gun could "go off". This is a training issue. If you don't carry "locked and loaded" for this reason you need to get familiar with your weapon, get comfortable with your weapon, and get some training with your weapon.
If you should need your firearm and it doesn't have a round chambered you may not have the time to get it out of the holster and chamber that round. Your other hand may be busy fending off a threat. Grappeling with an assailant. Even if you do "clear leather" and get ahold of the slide to chamber a round, what happens if, by doing so, you experiance a failure to feed? The gun could jam as you are trying to get it into action and then you are further behind the curve than before.
Look at the websites of some of the top firearms instructors in the US. You won't find a single one teaching students to carry a gun with an empty chamber. IF you do, don't waste your money with them.
Several replies to this thread have stated that the OP should have a retention holster. That is good advice for anyone. A quality holster which holds your gun securely and covers the trigger guard is always a good investment. Don't settle for the cheap, ten dollar, nylon gun condoms found in the sporting goods section of Walmart.
That said, it's only a part of the equation.
A good holster needs a quality belt to hold it steady. This will increase your comfort also. A cheap belt will let your holstered gun flop around and will eventually give you problems.
A quality belt/holster combo are a worthwhile investment but they won't do the job by themselves. You need training. Self defense and retention training can be found at several local gun instructors sites. You are a small female and many ladies don't feel comfortable taking classes with a bunch of guys. No problem. Bearco in Covington teaches women only classes and the VATA Group, a great training resourse on the Northshore, just hosted a class for women. In fact, they were on an episode of Gun Talk TV training some ladies how to shoot... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mep0GhesRyY&feature=relmfu
You have Lots of top notch instructors in this area teaching these sorts of courses. Find a class and get trained.
Male or female, anyone can benefit from taking retention classes, self defense classes and combat pistol classes. You need to know how to keep someone from getting your gun and if they do, what to do to stay in the fight.
Do you carry a backup gun? How about a knife? Pepper spray? Taser EID? Have you trained with someone in how to deploy those backup weapons in a physical encounter or use them to help retain your sidearm? There are classes to help learn how to use backup weapons such as these.
Some recent classes include
Introduction to Defensive Knife / Defensive Pistol held on Sunday, 20 May 2012, 9:00-5:00 in New Orleans. And it was FREE. http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...o-Defensive-Knife-Defensive-Pistol-FREE-CLASS.
Bearco Training held a 1-Day Combat Focus Shooting Defensive Handgun Course on Saturday, May 12th in Covington, LA
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...ombat-Focus-Defensive-Handgun-Course-05-12-12
Introduction to Basic Gunshot Trauma Treatment and Pistol Gun Fighting on May 26 in Robert, La east of Hammond.
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-to-Basic-Gunshot-Trauma-Treatment-and-Pistol
In April I took the 2 day Defensive Pistol course taught by Tom Givens of Rangemaster.
givensmarch182012.jpg

When Paul Gomez, the training bum, offered retention/self defense training one afternoon at a park in Baton Rouge I, and a couple of other LOCAL members, made sure to show up to participate.
pgclassa.jpg

Here's Tugbodog training on lateral movement with Cat.
006-5.jpg

Of course I've had training in weapons retention and fighting in my jobs as a Corrections Officer
GRDSTEVE.jpg

and even my job as a hospital security officer where I have to attend regular MOAB training.
moabg.jpg

Someone will ask so I'll answer it now, .... MOAB is Management of Agressive Behavior and involves learning how to use deescalation techniques, verbal judo and other ways to recognise problems and failing that, how to go hands on and restrain someone if necessary.
http://personalsafetytraining.com/pdf/MOAB 8hr. course with managing physical confrontations.pdf
In the first 4-hours of this course you will learn strategies to avoid physical
harm and learn how to recognize and reduce aggressive behavior with state-ofthe-
art principles and techniques. The 4-hour introduction session involves
interactive exercises which increase the retention and skills of the participant.
In the second 4-hours of the course you will how to manage physical
confrontations (chokes, strikes, grabs and weapon threats). Techniques taught
in this course are practical, use reasonable force, are court defensible, and are
easy for most people to grasp. We address the least assertive defenses first and
the more assertive defenses as a last resort.

What I'm trying to get across with this long and convoluted post is that carrying a firearm is a serious responsibility. You need to take every opportunity to learn how to carry that gun safely and confidently. Doing so will put you at less risk of a gun grab. If that should happen you will be better able to deal with the situation.
Get a basic handgun safety class or a CHP class. Build on that by finding a class such as the ones I posted above where you can learn more advanced, realistic skills which will help save your life on the streets.
Carry on. Carry always.

Last edited: