• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a hand gun in the woods

Firearms Iinstuctor

Just friendly furry forest critters doing what friendly furry forest critters do.

http://www.americanhunter.org/artic...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=1015

On Sept. 23, Matthew Nellessen of Friendship, Wisc., an avid deer hunter and former U.S. Army sergeant who served with the 961 Engineers in Afghanistan in 2006 and 2007, was scouting a potential hunting area in the Colburn Wildlife Management Area of Adams County when he locked eyes with a wolf only 30 yards away. Acting on instinct he gained from military service, Nellessen immediately pulled his sidearm, a Walther PK .380, and chambered a round.

That’s when things went from bad to worse. As he racked the slide, Nellessen noticed two more wolves approaching from the left.

utbagpiper

Banned
That’s when things went from bad to worse. As he racked the slide, Nellessen noticed two more wolves approaching from the left.

Must be some mistake. The wolf lovers have told me for years that wolves never attack humans. Then they changed their rhetoric to be "healthy wolves never attack humans."

What are the odds of 3 unhealthy wolves all in one location at the same time?

</sarcasm>

It wasn't ignorance or environmental hatred that caused our ancestors to drive wolf packs away from their settlements and flocks/herds.

The need for self defense from predators (2 or 4 legged) is exactly why we demanded the Utah law recognize the legal ability to carry a self-defense gun while hunting, even if the gun isn't legal to use on the hunt itself.

Charles

The Truth

The need for self defense from predators (2 or 4 legged) is exactly why we demanded the Utah law recognize the legal ability to carry a self-defense gun while hunting, even if the gun isn't legal to use on the hunt itself.

Charles

Hopefully one day we will find a way to get through to VADGIF so that we may carry for self defense in VA during bow and archery season as well.

Being stalked by 3 wolves must be some scary stuff. One would likely be forced to eliminate all threats.

utbagpiper

Banned
Hopefully one day we will find a way to get through to VADGIF so that we may carry for self defense in VA during bow and archery season as well.

I suspect your best bet is the legislature. Fish Cops (and other bureaucrats) are not often open to persuasion. Statutorily remove all such discretion from VADGIF. If an unallowed weapon is used to take game, that is a crime. Simply carrying the weapon for lawful self-defense should not be a crime.

Charles

Last edited:

The Truth

I suspect your best bet is the legislature. Fish Cops (and other bureaucrats) are not often open to persuasion. Statutorily remove all such discretion from VADGIF. If an unallowed weapon is used to take game, that is a crime. Simply carrying the weapon for lawful self-defense should not be a crime.

Charles

Completely agreed. I argued this exact point to them at a VADGIF board meeting public forum last year.

utbagpiper

Banned
Completely agreed. I argued this exact point to them at a VADGIF board meeting public forum last year.

For what it is worth, a side attack may be better than full frontal. We first got our very strong State-preemption to protect the legal ability to carry a gun. Specifically, it prevents any State agency from making any rule at all regarding guns unless that power has been specifically granted from the legislature. Our legislature had granted our wildlife department the power to determine what guns / ammo / weapons could be used to take game, but no where did the legislature grant them any power to regulate what guns a person could carry with them while on a hunt, or while walking in the woods during hunting season even if they don't have a hunting license.

Used to be some really over-zealous officers would presume to cite anyone with a gun out and about during hunting season, even if they clearly were not hunting.

Once strong State preemption was in place, we argued that our Fish Cops' admin rules about simply being in possession of a gun was contrary to State preemption. It only took a couple of friendly legislators on what we call the Administrative Rules Committee to review those rules, call in the head Fish Cop to explain why his rules didn't violate State law, and fix the issue.

Any problems are now rare, but Utah Fish Cops are probably the most likely to issue a citation relative to lawful gun possession, in contradiction of clear State law. Our judges--and even most prosecutors--are pretty good about bouncing those bad citations out and educating the offending Fish Cops (no serious penalties yet, just some stern words) about the law and the rights of our citizens.

Best of luck getting this fixed in Virginia.

Charles

Last edited:

protias

I know if I were going to be the in woods, I'd take a long gun with me. I'm surprised he took a 380. I am very glad he got out of the ordeal safely. I can't imagine many who would be.

utbagpiper

Banned
I know if I were going to be the in woods, I'd take a long gun with me.

A long gun sounds rather unwieldy while bow hunting. But I do agree with something larger than a .380 while afield. Plenty of handguns capable of handling most anything you're likely to run into in the lower 48 at least.

Charles

Firearms Iinstuctor

Must be some mistake. The wolf lovers have told me for years that wolves never attack humans. Then they changed their rhetoric to be "healthy wolves never attack humans."

What are the odds of 3 unhealthy wolves all in one location at the same time?

</sarcasm>

It wasn't ignorance or environmental hatred that caused our ancestors to drive wolf packs away from their settlements and flocks/herds.

Charles

Wolves run in packs I had many game cam pictures of wolves together

Firearms Iinstuctor

I know if I were going to be the in woods, I'd take a long gun with me. I'm surprised he took a 380. I am very glad he got out of the ordeal safely. I can't imagine many who would be.

I spend hundreds of days a year in woods unless hunting a long gun just gets in the way of what one is doing.

Elm Creek Smith

Woods walking gun is at a minimum a .38 Special. I usually carry a .357 Mag. In Oklahoma, you can carry a defensive handgun if you are licensed to carry regardless of the hunting season.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

F350

The wife and I are getting ready for a camping trip into the Tetons around Jackson WY. I will have the GLOCK 10mm on the belt, and the Remington 1100 12ga with slug barrel, mag tube extension, side saddle shell holder and pistol grip stock loaded with Brenneke slugs and FN-FAL loaded with 150gr SBTs.

Man or beast I'll be ready.

Elm Creek Smith

A med frame 357 is a very nice woods gun.
I'm considering a Ruger LCRX in .38 Special +P with 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights for times when I've got other stuff to tote. I always carry my S&W Model 642-2 anyway.

Sometimes I need a break from the S&W 686-6 or 13 I carry for work. [emoji41] Of course if big, dangerous critters are about, my Ruger Bisley Vaquero loaded with HEAVY .45 Colt rounds would go along. Don't get a lot of that here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I'm considering a Ruger LCRX in .38 Special +P with 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights for times when I've got other stuff to tote. I always carry my S&W Model 642-2 anyway.

Sometimes I need a break from the S&W 686-6 or 13 I carry for work. [emoji41] Of course if big, dangerous critters are about, my Ruger Bisley Vaquero loaded with HEAVY .45 Colt rounds would go along. Don't get a lot of that here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I looked at the LCRX at the shot show and thought very nice they just have to bring it out in 357 mag.

A heavy for caliber WFN hard cast in 44 mag or bigger works well I shot a couple of bears with them and have seen others shoot bears with them the penetration is awesome.

Last edited: