• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philly Police Harass, Threaten to Shoot Man

redboneshadow

A story in today’s Philadelphia Daily News shows why it’s so important that citizens be allowed to videotape cops – it can be citizens’ only way to fight back against police abuse of power.

http://goo.gl/zrpDy

This is happening all over and it is getting out of control.

Bucks Gun Shop

Yanno... I really feel for the job that LEO has to do... Our legal system, our court system, and everything else favors the criminal... That said, what appears to have gone on here is wrong... Just another example of where I feel our entire country has lost its priorities... Stuff like this truly saddens me...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Yanno... I really feel for the job that LEO has to do... Our legal system, our court system, and everything else favors the criminal... That said, what appears to have gone on here is wrong... Just another example of where I feel our entire country has lost its priorities... Stuff like this truly saddens me...

I agree they have a tough job to do, and they do it willingly and voluntarily.

The legal/court system does not 'favor' the criminal...

Our legal system, by design, favors the inherent rights of Man. This is a fundamental shift in thinking from your statement and not an attack, but a comprehensive and fundamentally different look at the line we often hear from society.

maclean

Our legal system, by design, favors the inherent rights of Man. This is a fundamental shift in thinking from your statement and not an attack, but a comprehensive and fundamentally different look at the line we often hear from society.

It used to - it was intended to - but I do not believe that it still does what you suggest all the time.

Agent 47

And now they have charged him with indangering the public because they overreacted and somebody may have gotten hurt. They say it is his fault that the cops on scene didnt know the law well enough to realize that he had done nothing wrong and because of him they had their guns out and may have hurt someone. Un-freaking-Believable!!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Clothes_dont_make_a_man.jpg

Aknazer

Cops used to get my respect until they proved theirselves unworthy of such respect. Now I view all cops with distrust and very little respect (though I will still be polite) until the particular cop I'm dealing with earns some trust/respect.

The reason for my shift in views? Because too many cops are abusing their power and aren't being held responsible for bad behavior. Should things change and the situation were to improve (not likely so long as the union stays in place and makes it next to impossible to remove bad cops among other things) then I would be willing to view cops as a whole with more trust/respect again. But without changes sadly the "bad eggs" have ruined the whole bunch in my eyes.

Hell just yesterday I asked a cop about what someone would be charged with for OCing here (it's currently viewed as illegal, but there's a potentially "loophole" as the liberals would say, for it to be legal). He told me that it would be a misdemenor unless you have a CWP at which point it would be a felony. But when I asked just what you would be charged with and just what law makes it illegal to OC he couldn't answer me and tried to change subjects. How is he supposed to be enforcing the law when he can't even tell me what I would be charged with (I don't need the exact numbers of the law, just a general "charged with X"). And this is rampant throughout the states of the cops not knowing what they're supposedly enforcing. And how can you properly enforce that which you don't properly know.

Difdi

A private citizen is required to know the law well enough to avoid (at the least) breaches of the peace, and expected to know the rest of it well. Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense, after all.

Cops routinely don't know the law even to the minimum standard expected of private citizens, yet a cop has sworn an oath to uphold and enforce the law, while the private citizen (usually) hasn't.

So why are cops consistently held to a lower standard of education on the law, and forgiven to such a greater degree when they trip over it?

What would happen to a private citizen who made a citizen's arrest of a uniformed cop, for impersonating a police officer, and held him at gunpoint while refusing any and all offers by the cop to prove he really was a cop?

amzbrady

The crime committed if you listen carefully....

not listening to an officer!

I think in our state it is called "Obstructing Justice", I would think there would have to be an injustice to have occurred for someone to get in the way and obstruct. But isnt it our court system that is supposed to impose justice, and didnt they used to call judges "justice of the peace?

I think laws are written so they can be molded to fit who ever has the most money or the most power. It is just too bad there are not bigger consequences for unjust behavior by law enforcement officers, and test specifically on law, that they should have to take to be an officer. Maybe by the time they finished all their studying and took the classes they would be mature enough to handle being in public with the power of the badge. Officers should be held in the same accordance of the law as the average citizen. If they commit a felony than they lose the ability to carry a firearm. They should not have to go up in front of a review board, they should have to go in front of a jury of their peers, which should be us.

amlevin

Thats the key right there. If they are cannot or are not willing to do it correctly and within all guidelines, policies, and laws then they should be required to step down.

Tell that to a Seattle Officer. Better yet, tell it to their abrasive Union Rep Sgt. Rich O'Neill. His public attitude seems to be "If you don't like how we do our job Go F&#@ yourself".

heresolong

British Columbia has just announced that they will be forming a citizen's review board to investigate misconduct by police at all levels. My only concern is that it will be staffed with former police officers and political appointees but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
there are 4 parts to the audio, part 2 is just background audio, part 3 has an officer asking his name and SSN, age and other personal info. Part 4 has them releasing and lying to him....

Audio file:
part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-vUYeJXSrA&feature=player_embedded

part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igt-vp7VF0E&feature=player_embedded

part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDBkHJZgi8&feature=player_embedded

part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIu1_ieuzS0&feature=player_embedded

sudden valley gunner

Poor grammar - I was meaning to say that the legal system does not perform as you suggest consistently.

"All the time" meant consistently, with regularity, etc.

I'll that it rarely works like was designed to any more.

We need to go back to a time when there were no public prosecutors looking for reelection or political advancement.

We need to go back to a time when courts through out cases that lacked mens rea.

We need to roll back the amount of involvement Police have in peoples lives.