• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Australia, Hit this poll please.

Haz.

Welcome to the new year down under. Interest in sporting shooting is on the rise, an increase in ferel animalsalso has prompted people to purchase, register, and liscence firearms and as usual, the anties start accusing law abiding sporting shooters of comitting crime. Not only that, every criminal searching for access to firearms has been given a heads up. Its nice to know how our licencing and registration fees are being spent. Haz.
GUNS outnumber people in 24 Victorian towns a special investigation has revealed and the figures have horrified the anti-gun lobby.

The East Gippsland hamlet of Swifts Creek has the highest ratio: 774 registered firearms shared by just 278 residents.

National Coalition for Gun Control chairwoman Sam Lee said more guns led to more crime.

Annual figures show an increase of 62 per cent in robberies involving firearms in Victoria.

Detective Supt Brett Guerin, head of Victoria Police's serious crime division, said those involved in recent lawless behaviour in Melbourne's northwest suburbs had been "shooting up the streets as if it's the wild west". He reinforced the police strategy of "unremitting harassment" to deter the use of firearms.

The 3551 postcode, taking in towns on the outskirts of Bendigo, had the highest number of registered guns - 7179. French Island in Western Port Bay and Harrow, in the Wimmera, rounded out the top three gun hot spots.

Results: Gun lawsThanks for voting!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...ting-our-streets/story-fn7x8me2-1226239396332

Should there be tougher limits on the number of firearms a person can own?
Yes 43.86% (521 votes)
No 56.14% (667 votes)
Total votes: 1188
Recommended Coverage
Lax laws threat to public safety
THE latest gun ownership and licensing figures are alarming and pose a threat to public safety, a leading anti-firearms group says.
Feral dogs the main target
WELCOME to Swifts Creek, home to about 278 people, 774 guns and a tank. End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Victoria has 642,176, or nearly 23 per cent, of the 2.8 million firearms registered in Australia.

Police are worried after more than 39,000 extra firearms were registered in Victoria in 18 months to June last year, despite an increase of only 5000 in the number of licensed shooters.

They said their biggest concern was the number of pistols in the community and people's willingness to use them to commit crimes.

Senior police said they would blitz gun dealers and licensed shooters to try to stop legal firearms getting on the black market.

It comes as figures show registered guns now outnumber people in 24 Victorian towns.

The highest proportion is in the East Gippsland hamlet of Swifts Creek where 278 residents own 774 firearms.

Other hot spots are French Island in Western Port Bay and Harrow, in the Wimmera.

Police figures also show:

UP to 200 (75 per cent) of all pistols seized from criminals in the past three years had never been registered or could not be identified.

FORTY-ONE of the 273 firearms seized were stolen.

MORE than half the firearms used in "high end" armed robberies last year were pistols.

FIFTEEN per cent of firearms seized from criminals were stolen weapons.

The annual figures showed an increase of 62 per cent in robberies involving guns and a 15 per cent increase in assaults with a firearm.

Detective Supt Brett Guerin, head of the force's serious crime division, reinforced the police strategy of "unremitting harassment" to deter the use of guns, particularly pistols.

Supt Guerin described those involved in recent lawless behaviour in Melbourne's northwest suburbs as "peasants ... acting in a way they would in the foothills of their home country, shooting up the streets as if it's the wild west".

"Instead of farming they rob people, or stand over them or sell dope - and they use firearms to enforce it," he said.

"We can't just wait for these matters to be fully investigated and brought before the courts one or two years down the track. We've got to start making life difficult for these peanuts."

The head of the force's licensing and registration division, Supt Russell Barrett, said shootings in Melbourne had emphasised the issue of illicit gun use.

"I don't think the issues we're seeing are with the licensed shooters. The problem is not with the lawful weapons in the hands of lawful shooters," he said.

"Our focus for the next 12-18 months will be to ensure that not only the right people get licences and access to guns, but to ensure that legal guns don't become illegal."

Supt Barrett said police would be strong on regulating the practices of dealers and ensuring owners were storing firearms safely.

He said he hoped a big drop in the number of firearms stolen - 142 in 2010-11 compared with 316 the previous year - was a reflection of more secure storage.

Only 18 of the 302 guns reported stolen in Victoria in 2008-09 were recovered, the most recent Australia Institute of Criminology firearm theft statistics show.

Pistols registered rose from just over 11,200 in June 2010 to 11,600 a year later.

Link:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...ting-our-streets/story-fn7x8me2-1226239396332

Last edited:

Dreamer

It is interesting that they do not reveal in this article what the crime rate is in the The East Gippsland hamlet of Swifts Creek (which has the highest ratio of gun ownership).

I'd be willing to bet there is a reason why that statistic is not revealed--The East Gippsland hamlet of Swifts Creek probably has almost NO gun-related violent crime...

Haz.

It is interesting that they do not reveal in this article what the crime rate is in the The East Gippsland hamlet of Swifts Creek (which has the highest ratio of gun ownership).

I'd be willing to bet there is a reason why that statistic is not revealed--The East Gippsland hamlet of Swifts Creek probably has almost NO gun-related violent crime...

Hi Dreamer.

The stats were not released because there are no rapes, murders,drunken violence, home invasions, car nappings or robberies in Swift Creek.

Latest stats on Poll;

Results: Gun laws.

Thanks for voting!

Yes 31.25% (1004 votes)
No 68.75% (2209 votes)
Total votes: 3213

Were wondering when this poll will be withdrawn. Its not looking good for the anties. They paper may be waiting for the lazy greens and anti's to get their backsides out of bed, usually and hopefully by 2pm this afternoon and vote?

Haz.

These figures have horrified the anti-gun lobby.

The East Gippsland hamlet of Swifts Creek has the highest ratio: 774 registered firearms shared by just 278 residents.

Thats frightening? 774 firearms shared by 278 residents in a rural farming community? Thats 774 divided by 278 = 2.78 firearms!

No wonder the anti gun lobby are horrified! Talk about a bunch of loosers.

The law states that if one is a firearms collector in Australia one must have at least 10 Firearms to be granted a collectors licence.

Last edited:

Aknazer

Thats frightening? 774 firearms shared by 278 residents in a rural farming community? Thats 774 divided by 278 = 2.78 firearms!

The law states that if one is a firearms collector in Australia one must have at least 10 Firearms to be granted a collectors licence.

So I'm only two guns from being able to get a collectors license, and one gun once my dad gives me my childhood rifles.

Haz.

Thank you to all who voted. here is this mornings result of the poll.

Results: Gun laws.

Thanks for voting!

Yes 30.86% (2658 votes)
No 69.14% (5956 votes)
Total votes: 8614

protias

Done!

Only owns 3 firearms? I don't know what I'd do with so few.

Haz.

I seems the anti-gun lobby have lost their way on this beatup.

Re: Revealed: The small Victorian towns with more guns than people.

As of, 2 Jan. 2012, 7.11am. Eastern Australian daylight saving time,

Yes 29.16% (2671 votes)
No 70.84% (6489 votes)
Total votes: 9160

Thank you for voting.

Haz.

Thank you and all others who took the time to vote. Every vote counts. It also was pleasing to me that so many Australian citizens voted against this ridiculous idea that law abiding citizens be restricted to a particular number of firearms. The coaletiton for gun control have no idea. Does one shoot a ferel pig or a deer with a 22? 22's are ok for rabbits and foxes at very close quarters. Wild dogs, ferel pigs, ferel camels, buffalo, destroying water holes through out the top end, ferel deer in the high country, they all deserve to be taken down humanley. .22 rimfire does not cut it?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Over 10,000 votes now, and those who believe people's ownership should be restricting have fallen to a one-quarter minority.

Nearly 3/4 of respondents believe the Australian government is sticking their noses where they don't belong.

Haz.

Over 10,000 votes now, and those who believe people's ownership should be restricting have fallen to a one-quarter minority.

Nearly 3/4 of respondents believe the Australian government is sticking their noses where they don't belong.

G-day 'since9;

And sadly our state and fereral politicians have their noses so deep in the trough, when their noses come up for Gods free, not yet taxed by them, air! they ram them so up their nether regions they cannot see the truth to save their own careers.

Hopefully, some time in the not too distant future the average Australian will vote sensibly and logicly and in so doing protect what rights they still have?

Thanks for your support and encouragement in all things on this board. I appreciate it. Sometimes when I get down about the average Australians simplistic, dont care attitude on things regarding our freedoms, I try and remember people you guys on this board, and the fact that is good men do nothing, criminals will suceed! Thanks again all who voted. Haz.

Haz.

Anties Never Give Up. Trigger happy shooters' gun buying spree. NSW is gun mad -

Well they failed miserably in the Herald Sun news Paper so now they will have a go in the Daily Telegraph?

Hows this for a MISS-Leading headline!

Trigger happy shooters' gun buying spree
by: Richard Noone From: The Daily Telegraph January 16, 2012 12:00AM

NSW is gun mad - and proud of it - with shooters stockpiling almost 100,000 new registered firearms in the past five years.

The number of gun licences, meanwhile, has only increased by about a fifth, or 18,852 over the same period, showing some are stocking up with numerous weapons.

There are now 763,359 registered firearms across the state, including 27,956 handguns, compared with 190,844 licences - taking the ratio to four guns for every licensed owner. In some country towns firearms outnumber people - in Ivanhoe, in the state's far west, 273 residents own 432 guns.

But licences are also set to explode, with nearly 2000 issued in the past month.

Read More:

<http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/trigger-happy-shooters-gun-buying-spree/story-e6freuy9-1226244876195>

hermannr

Well they failed miserably in the Herald Sun news Paper so now they will have a go in the Daily Telegraph?

NSW is gun mad - and proud of it - with shooters stockpiling almost 100,000 new registered firearms in the past five years.

The number of gun licences, meanwhile, has only increased by about a fifth, or 18,852 over the same period, showing some are stocking up with numerous weapons.

There are now 763,359 registered firearms across the state, including 27,956 handguns, compared with 190,844 licences - taking the ratio to four guns for every licensed owner. In some country towns firearms outnumber people - in Ivanhoe, in the state's far west, 273 residents own 432 guns.

But licences are also set to explode, with nearly 2000 issued in the past month.

Read More:

<http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/trigger-happy-shooters-gun-buying-spree/story-e6freuy9-1226244876195>

Well Haz. Just for fun I entered a comment on your link...should be interesting if they post it (doubtful) hermannr

Daylen

Read More:

You guys have exploding licenses!? Is that like the self destructing messages from Mission Impossible?

Haz.

Well Haz. Just for fun I entered a comment on your link...should be interesting if they post it (doubtful) hermannr

Well done and thank you mate. Should be more of it. I just had a look over there and I noticed a post or two from the US and even Canada I think it was. Any way, the people of Australia are not falling for this crap any more. There is a rising swell realizing that the gun ban has not made it safer here, in fact it has made it much worse than it ever was. Read "Who needs a gun in Australia thread" on this board. I have slowed down posting there because I would fill the section in a matter of days If I posted every savage criminal act on unarmed people. Some people are so sick and tired they are even suggesting a revolution down the track. Now I have never heard that mentioned before. People here are beginning to wake up. They are sick of getting shot at, having their homes invaded, being raped, robbed, bashed and then the Law abiding sporting shooters being blamed for all the gun crime?

Haz.

Thanks guys.

Wes of USA Posted at 8:16 AM Today
You guys are slacking. People in the U.S. bought 10.8 million guns in 2011. You'll need to buy a lot more to catch up, so get to it. Crime continues to go down in the U.S., btw. More law-abiding citizens with guns, less crime. Funny how that works.

Richard Gunther of Canada Posted at 2:47 AM Today

Do what we did in Canada, get rid of the long gun registry. It was useless in Canada and I am sure it is useless in Australia.

Haz.

A big Aussie thank you to all who voted, responded, and took an interest in how things are progressing Down Under. There are many of us in Australia who do care and who do fight for what rights we have left. We are proud to have so many American Friends who care. God Bless you all, Haz.