• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proof that PD internal investigations are bogus -- cop drunk & driving

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://wpri.com/2014/03/31/officer-admits-texting-and-drinking-before-crash/

“The accident became the subject of a police department internal investigation. I cannot comment on this any further because I do not want to prejudice the process,” McCartney said.

Why would this not just be a regular criminal investigation?

Since you cannot do anything more with a internal investigation than you can with a standard criminal investigation (or it would violate due process) then this indicates that internal investigations give more lax standards than those that we are subjected to.

"does not want to prejudice the process"...what, a process that covers things up?

JoeSparky

Centurion
http://wpri.com/2014/03/31/officer-admits-texting-and-drinking-before-crash/

“The accident became the subject of a police department internal investigation. I cannot comment on this any further because I do not want to prejudice the process,” McCartney said.

Why would this not just be a regular criminal investigation?

Since you cannot do anything more with a internal investigation than you can with a standard criminal investigation (or it would violate due process) then this indicates that internal investigations give more lax standards than those that we are subjected to.

"does not want to prejudice the process"...what, a process that covers things up?

Why not a dual investigation.... one INTERNAL whereby employment may be at risk for violation of employer mandates and the other EXTERNAL by the PROSECUTOR where charges are filed and upon conviction of a violation of the state's laws the offender in sentenced per the court.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why not a dual investigation.... one INTERNAL whereby employment may be at risk for violation of employer mandates and the other EXTERNAL by the PROSECUTOR where charges are filed and upon conviction of a violation of the state's laws the offender in sentenced per the court.

Why not just fire the guy and stop wasting taxpayers $$.

onus

The entire American system of police or DA's investigating police needs to be replaced with a different system. I propose a civilian board that has subpoena power and can also obtain search warrants from a judge.

The board would be able to convene grand juries as well.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Upon further consideration: First--- an OFF DUTY officer was allegedly texting and driving, driving after drinking, driving on the wrong side of the road and involved in an incident I will refer to as VEHICULAR NEGLIGENCE. The off-duty officer should face any and all appropriate charges for violations of law and upon conviction face the penalty.

Second--- ALL THE OFFICER"S INVOLVED IN THE COVERUP SHOULD BE TRIED AND CONVICTED AND NEVER WORK AS POLICE OFFICERS AGAIN.

As I tried to teach my kids---- no matter what you've done the COVERUP IS ALWAYS WORSE!!!!!!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The entire American system of police or DA's investigating police needs to be replaced with a different system. I propose a civilian board that has subpoena power and can also obtain search warrants from a judge.

The board would be able to convene grand juries as well.

Eliminating public workers' unions is also a good place to start.

onus

Eliminating public workers' unions is also a good place to start.

You are correct. I am strongly opposed to public employee unions. However, I think maybe a more practical solution would be to allow them to unionize but to not allow the union to make political donations.