• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Discounts at Local Businesses

safeplanet

Hello,
I am new to the group but I wanted to get some feedback on an idea I've had for some time now. I am a advocate for open-carry and I am a small business owner. I think that if someone with webmaster experience could develop a website for business owners to list their business as one which gives discounts to customers when they open carry into the store, it would begin to promote the idea of self protection in a possitive way. A small yearly fee could be charged in order to cover the cost of producing a window decal for the stores participating, website maintenence and a tri-fold brochure to handout to customers alarmed by the notion of seeing fellow shoppers "packin". T-shirts, etc would be nice down the line as well. Also this project would promote buying locally, since the big box national chain stores certainly would not want any part of it. The website would need to be searchable by address, zip code or GPS coordinates (since many phones now have that feature). This way when people are traveling they can find stores that support their cause. Also each store would need to be able to give a brief description of their business including discount offered. I just checked and opencarrydiscountsusa.org AND .com is available. What do you think?
~L

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!!! Not a bad idea at all. I think major retailers would stay away for liability reasons. Small businesses might be interested though. Are you thinking of jump-startin the site yourself or just tossing the idea around?

safeplanet

I really wish I had the time. Running a business and having a family is about all I can handle. I know that there are some folks out there that are out of work but have the skills required for a project like this and desperately want to make a difference in the direction our country is headed. I also thought that getting someone like Dr. Ignatius Piazza at Front Site to promote and give discounts to business owners who go through his training would be a nice touch. Anyways, being an idea person is all I can contribute right now.

hermannr

There is a guy that posts mostly on the "Idaho" state specific part if open carry calls himself ecocks. He has a restaurant outside Boise and offers a discount. You might want to contact him.

I am a retired small business owner, but never had a storefront. I had a couple (repeat/quantity) discounts I would give that really paid off. I could see it paying off for you.

There is a firearm friend/foe site, don't remember the name, maybe ecocks will

Daylen

Do you really want to encourage every idiot to openly carry a firearm in your store? Its one thing if someone decides on their own that OC is the way to carry and that not carrying is not an option. Its another to encourage idiots that probably don't carry because they realize their potential to get into a worse situation by being armed to carry openly, probably without finding out any more about the law or the individual responsibility that comes with being armed. I think its wiser to not encourage nor discourage people you don't know from carrying in any form; perhaps encouraging enlightenment about the law, constitutions and individual responsibility would be good. How about leaving the decision of OC, CC or NC about safety, comfort, and rights, (and I guess freedom of speech if you slide that way) not about saving money at the Quickie Mart.

hermannr

Daylen: People who OC are much more responsible than the average. You see, the irresponsible ones have done things in the past that would possibly restrict their right to bear arms, so they hide them.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Safeplanet - Welcome to OCDO. Your idea is a great one for both the business owner and the customers. It has taken off in several states - for example see http://www.vcdl.org/static/discounts.html If you have a statewide organization -yes, Texas has several to choose from - you can propose the idea to them if they are not already doing it.

Daylen - Normally I'd ask you to please step off my planet, but that would be a personal attack and a violation of the Rules. So instead I'll ask you why you seem to think just about everybody else except you is such a danger to themselves, the general public, the business community, and you in particular that they should not be allowed to walk about openly carrying a handgun while they shop? Should someone behave inappropriately they can be asked to correct their behavior or to leave, or the cops can be asked to come and deal with them if it is that inappropriate. In the meantime if the doofus in question is acting to threaten the lives of those around him/her those being threatened at least have the means to try to protect temselves - if the fact that they outnumber him/her and thus might therefore dissuade the inappropriate behavior in the first place has not entered his/her and your though process.

I can ask, without violating the Rules, why you are here on OCDO with 819 posts if that's how you view everybody else who open carries?

stay safe.

Daylen

Daylen - Normally I'd ask you to please step off my planet, but that would be a personal attack and a violation of the Rules. So instead I'll ask you why you seem to think just about everybody else except you is such a danger to themselves, the general public, the business community, and you in particular that they should not be allowed to walk about openly carrying a handgun while they shop? Should someone behave inappropriately they can be asked to correct their behavior or to leave, or the cops can be asked to come and deal with them if it is that inappropriate. In the meantime if the doofus in question is acting to threaten the lives of those around him/her those being threatened at least have the means to try to protect temselves - if the fact that they outnumber him/her and thus might therefore dissuade the inappropriate behavior in the first place has not entered his/her and your though process.

I can ask, without violating the Rules, why you are here on OCDO with 819 posts if that's how you view everybody else who open carries?

stay safe.

Please don't attribute statements to me that I have not typed or said. I have not said "just about everybody else except you is such a danger to themselves, the general public, the business community, and you in particular that they should not be allowed to walk about openly carrying a handgun while they shop".
I have not even said a statement that could be paraphrased as the one quoted above. I have not ever indicated that ANYONE should prohibit openly carrying a weapon or carrying a weapon concealed, at any location, or for any reason. I'm not much for retyping so I'll simply ask that the reader view my previous post again and perhaps spend more time trying to understand the words as written and not interject any meaning nor twist any meaning.