• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Channel 8 news Las Vegas at 11pm on 5 May 2011

Vegassteve

Funny to watch metro trip over their words trying to describe how an observant citizen recording public officials could threaten officer safety.

Funny as well how they are threatened by a citizen who may be trying to catch them do some wrong, but its ok for them to do it to a citizen.

Dreamer

The thing I find most disturbing about this video is the "decorations" on the desk of North Las Vegas Police Sergeant Tim Bedwell. He seems to have a fascination with skulls.

Yeah, that's what we want--a high-profile LE exec who is a closet death-cult member. :uhoh:

It's the little details that matter folks...

rotorhead

The disturbing thing to me was one of the last comments by the news reporter. The police department refused to comment on the story because the investigation was not complete? WTH?

What investigation? Detained for 56 minutes, released with no charges, and there's an open investigation? I'm confused.

LvstudentDoc

who the hell is john c

who the hell is that "fake cop" or "idiot" john C that keeps posting on the news story? Prob gets his info on LE from Cops and AMW and plays D&D in his parents basement at 45 yrs old...

yeahYeah

wait! was she on school property? Do the CCSD cops have the legal "authority" to conduct traffic stops and detain people that aren't on ccsd property? i have not seen this angle brought up.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Or not so much.....

NRS 391.275 Jurisdiction of school police officers.
1. The jurisdiction of each school police officer of a school district extends to all school property, buildings and facilities within the school district for the purpose of:
(a) Protecting school district personnel, pupils, or real or personal property; or
(b) Cooperating with local law enforcement agencies in matters relating to personnel, pupils or real or personal property of the school district.
2. In addition to the jurisdiction set forth in subsection 1, a school police officer of a school district has jurisdiction:
(a) Beyond the school property, buildings and facilities when in hot pursuit of a person believed to have committed a crime;
(b) At activities or events sponsored by the school district that are in a location other than the school property, buildings or facilities within the school district; and
(c) When authorized by the superintendent of schools of the school district, on the streets that are adjacent to the school property, buildings and facilities within the school district for the purpose of issuing traffic citations for violations of traffic laws and ordinances during the times that the school is in session or school-related activities are in progress.
(Added to NRS by 1971, 2078; A 1979, 1606; 1989, 630; 2007, 927, 1921)

NRS 171.1223 Peace officer with limited jurisdiction must notify primary law enforcement agency of commission of certain felonies; transfer of investigation to primary law enforcement agency.
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 3, in a county whose population is 100,000 or more, a peace officer with limited jurisdiction who witnesses a category A felony being committed or attempted in the officer’s presence, or has reasonable cause for believing a person has committed or attempted to commit a category A felony in an area that is within the officer’s jurisdiction, shall immediately notify the primary law enforcement agency in the city or county, as appropriate, where the offense or attempted offense was committed.
2. Upon arrival of an officer from the primary law enforcement agency notified pursuant to subsection 1, a peace officer with limited jurisdiction shall immediately transfer the investigation of the offense or attempted offense to the primary law enforcement agency.
3. The provisions of subsection 1 do not:
(a) Apply to an offense or attempted offense that is a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor or felony other than a category A felony;
(b) Apply to an officer of the Nevada Highway Patrol, a member of the police department of the Nevada System of Higher Education, an agent of the Investigation Division of the Department of Public Safety or a ranger of the Division of State Parks of the State Department of Conservation and Natural Resources;
(c) Apply to a peace officer with limited jurisdiction if an inter-local agreement between the officer’s employer and the primary law enforcement agency in the city or county in which a category A felony was committed or attempted authorizes the peace officer with limited jurisdiction to respond to and investigate the felony without immediately notifying the primary law enforcement agency; or
(d) Prohibit a peace officer with limited jurisdiction from:
(1) Contacting a primary law enforcement agency for assistance with an offense that is a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor or felony that is not a category A felony; or
(2) Responding to a category A felony until the appropriate primary law enforcement agency arrives at the location where the felony was allegedly committed or attempted, including, without limitation, taking any appropriate action to provide assistance to a victim of the felony, to apprehend the person suspected of committing or attempting to commit the felony, to secure the location where the felony was allegedly committed or attempted and to protect the life and safety of the peace officer and any other person present at that location.
4. As used in this section:
(a) “Peace officer with limited jurisdiction” means:
(1) A school police officer who is appointed or employed pursuant to subsection 8 of NRS 391.100;
(2) An airport guard or police officer who is appointed pursuant to NRS 496.130;

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I thought this gave them the authority to detain someone as long as they contact metro, nlv, henderson...
If not, then I stand corrected and thank you for the info

You found the exact reason why I Did not give a real definent answer. It appears that they are making a citizens arrest of sorts while waiting for METRO and it is quite unclear as to their police power if any outside of campus. here is a quote from the METRO manual

5/106.15 JURISDICTIONAL INTERFACE WITH THE CLARK COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT POLICE DEPARTMENT
"Due to the limited jurisdiction of the School District Police, members of this department will not request back-up services or assistance off school district property. responding to violations outside their jurisdictional boundrys would be done as private citizens and could create direct liability for the School District and the Officers."

So they may be able to make an arrest, but they still have to call the police just like a citizen hmmm.