• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The %(&*$# Republican Roundup - once again

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes, Eric Cantor's buddies on the 7th District Republican Committee are once again holding their fundraiser for the Congresscritter at Snagajob Pavilion - where they refuse to recognize the individual right of The People to protect themselves and their family.

Neither the 7th District website nor the Eric Cantor For Congress website have a "Contact Us" feature that one could use to communicate one's displeasure with their continuing to not only disregard and discount but insult that portion of the population that might otherwise support Mr. Cantor.

That being the case, I recommend that you voice your displeasure to The Republican Party of Virginia www.rpv.org . You might want to remind them that the leadership and members of VCDL have, for several years, provided documentation of available alternative locations/venues that meet all of the 7th District Committee's "requirements" as far as location, accessability from major highways, parking, ability to secure ABC permits, and cost (including an offer from a VCDL member to personally cover the cost of site rental if the location would be moved away from Snagajob Pavilion).

I have also upped the ante this year by informing them I am withholding all fnancial and service donations to RPV and its sub-units until this situation is remedied. Seeing as I do not dump hundreds of thousands of dollars in their coffers every year they may or may not be concerned about that, but if enough of us "little people" start telling them we will no longer support being insulted they just might take notice.

stay safe.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
This year's postcard sent. 2011

cantor2011.jpg

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Classic Ed. I love it. Hopefully he will be man enough to answer this year. In the event that he doesn't, I'm sure VCDL will have a nice protest ready for him. I'm also going follow Skid's advice and send a "nice" letter to the RPV.

scouser

Cantor, in my experience as well as my opinion, is a waste of this planet's oxygen resources. I have no time for this sorry excuse for a human being.

He continually demonstrates an inability to answer the questions he is asked by the public but, then again, isn't that typical of most, if not quite all, politicians

TFred

It's quite simple really, and a basic tenant to every political decision by every politician. He has calculated that for the entire set of circumstances surrounding this decision, he gains more by choosing the Pavilion than by going some where else.

Until that end result changes, the decision will always be the same.

ETA: Until the guns rights groups can figure out how to alter that outcome, nothing will change.

TFred

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just to be absolutely accurate about the Republican Roundup, it is not an event held by Congresscritter Cantor. It is an event held by the Virginia 7th District Republican Committee as a means of raising funds for whoever their candidate of choice is. As of the moment they are supporting the incumbent, Congresscritter Cantor.

Now, if Congresscritter Cantor were to step up and tell the 7th District Committee that he will 1) not attend an event where a significant portion of his supporters and constituents are denied access because of their beliefs, and 2) that he will not accept a penny of contributions collected at/by/through/because of an event where a significant portion of his supporters and constituents are denied access because of their beliefs, then I might alter my currently negative feelings about Congresscritter Cantor and stop calling him a Congresscritter.

As for the Republican Party of Virginia, they too have the power to tell the 7th District Committee to stop their BS and discrimination against the lawful activities of a significant part of the Republican Party base and faithful supporters/ contributors and either move the location to one that does not discriminate against people because of their beliefs or face being cut off from funding and membership in the Republican Party of Virginia. But to date they also choose not to do anything about the situation.

Although I cannot prove it (because I have not bothered to look into it) there is reason to believe that the folks who own Snagajob Pavilion may be "donating" the venue in return for being able to claim an in-kind donation for political and/or tax purposes. If that is so, then losing the venue would have serious implications for them beyond a straight commercial issue of not being able to rent it out for one day each year.

Now Snagajob Pavilion is private property and as such the owners can say they do not want lawfully carried firearms on their property and I have no heartburn at all about that. But I need a trainload of TUMS to deal with Congresscritter Cantor, the 7th District Republican Committee and the Republican Party of Virginia continuing to use a venue that discrminates against a portion of their constituency because of their beliefs. In case anybody is still not clear on the discrimination issue, let's change "firearms" to "red hair" (another characteristic/trait not being protected under SCOTUS' reading of the Constitution) and see if that makes it any better. <looks, ponders, decides. Nope! No better!> As a matter of fact, if Congresscritter CAntor, the 7th District Committee and the Republican Party of Virginia discriminated against people with red hair I'll bet the outcry would be tremendous.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Laura is the commentator I would very much like to see replace Bill O'Reilly permanently. I think she is far better than he is and is more apt to give her guests a chance to talk and voice their positions.

As for Cantor, I have to say I am not all up on the "what and why" of the reasons you folks in Richmond and its surrounds don't care for or trust this man. I think it has something to do with a rally, convention, or meeting or something where firearms were prohibited and he was viewed as disingenuous and ambivalent, and/or speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Can one of you gentlemen enlighten me/us on this perhaps?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Laura is the commentator I would very much like to see replace Bill O'Reilly permanently. I think she is far better than he is and is more apt to give her guests a chance to talk and voice their positions.

As for Cantor, I have to say I am not all up on the "what and why" of the reasons you folks in Richmond and its surrounds don't care for or trust this man. I think it has something to do with a rally, convention, or meeting or something where firearms were prohibited and he was viewed as disingenuous and ambivalent, and/or speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Can one of you gentlemen enlighten me/us on this perhaps?

Please use smileys when you are posting words that may carry both an overt and a covert meaning so we will know which you mean.

In case you really are seriopusly asking, here it is in a nutshell: a fundraiser for him is historically held in a location that does not allow firearms. Folks who might otherwise support him through their attendance have asked him to use another venue because of the"No Firearms" issue. He refuses to even deal with the issue. Therefore we presume his "support" of the Second Amendment is all hot air and empty rhetoric.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Please use smileys when you are posting words that may carry both an overt and a covert meaning so we will know which you mean.

In case you really are seriopusly asking, here it is in a nutshell: a fundraiser for him is historically held in a location that does not allow firearms. Folks who might otherwise support him through their attendance have asked him to use another venue because of the"No Firearms" issue. He refuses to even deal with the issue. Therefore we presume his "support" of the Second Amendment is all hot air and empty rhetoric.

stay safe.

Thanks for the answer about Cantor. I wonder if he has ever been directly challenged on this in a public forum?

As for smileys, I don't follow. I presume you meant for me Laura and O'Reilly remark. It's not that I don't like O'Reilly. It's just that I don't particularly care for all of the interruptions he injects in his discourse with quests who have opposing views. I want to hear what they have to say. Laura is not immune to this herself, but she is better in this arena in my opinion. I prefer a more rational debate, especially when the topics are heated in nature.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the answer about Cantor. I wonder if he has ever been directly challenged on this in a public forum? {skipping everything else}

In a word - YES! He's been challenged in person, in person at meetings large and small, public and private, and via as many possible forms of communication as we can think of short of rude one-fingered sign language or returning the smoke he seems to want to blow up our fundament to his instead.

No, we are not keyboard kommandos hiding in the basement. At least not on this topic.

stay safe.