• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gifting a gun from TX to CA

jecsd1

I would like to give my father in law a shotgun for Xmas. I am a TX resident and he lives in CA. I am here on vacation and have it with me so shipping is not an issue. What is the correct LEGAL way to do so? Can we just find a FFL and pay the fee?

Thanks.

jecsd1

yep, The FFL will hold it in firearm jail for 10 days, dad will have to submit for DROS and then good to go.

As long as it is a legal shotgun for CA

It's just an old Remington pump. can any FFL do it or do I need to track down someone specialized. I'm in San Diego.

tim12232

all depends what part of San Diego, Discount Gun Mart on Morena blvd, is what I usually used, otherwise there is one up by kearny mesa area cant remember the name of it though. Im not sure about Big5?

jecsd1

all depends what part of San Diego, Discount Gun Mart on Morena blvd, is what I usually used, otherwise there is one up by kearny mesa area cant remember the name of it though. Im not sure about Big5?

Found a guy named Paul Johnson in Escondido. Seems like a good guy. Smaller operation but reasonable price. $60 out the door. That seems ok for CA. I have to say that I was flabbergasted at the typical FFL prices in CA. I'm used to $10 FFL fees in TX so when I saw some shops charging over $100 I was a bit shocked.

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:

KBCraig

If its older than 50 years old, or on the C&R list already, you can just give it to him....legally.

This is absolutely untrue.

The giver is a resident of Texas. The recipient is a resident of California. Even if it takes place face to face, it's an interstate transfer and must go through an FFL.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thank you, KBCraig. You beat me to it.

Additionally, in order for an interstate C&R Eligible firearm to be handled without a 01 FFL dealer's license, the recipient must be the holder of a 03 FFL collector's license.

And THEN, you still have to obey whatever additional laws CA may impose.

Last edited:

1894cfan

Got a ?....

Is PRIVATE transaction still legal in California?????????????? If so, no FFL needed!!!!!!!!!!!!! If not, EVERYBODY in CA is in deep doodoo!

KBCraig

Is PRIVATE transaction still legal in California?????????????? If so, no FFL needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, FFL needed.

Did you miss the part about one party residing in Texas, and the other party residing in California? It doesn't matter if it takes place in Texas, California, or face to face in Montana, it's still an interstate transfer and must go through an FFL.