• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seymour Open Carry response

smokeyburnout

I dont think emailing each officer would hold up in court. Although by haveing the cheif of state/town police you then have something as the officers have to follow policy. I was also told by a seymour police officer that he could charge you with breech of peace or take you pistol during a traffic stop and make you go to the pd to pick it back up. Thease guys def need an education in firearms laws in ct.

Rich B

I dont think emailing each officer would hold up in court. Although by haveing the cheif of state/town police you then have something as the officers have to follow policy. I was also told by a seymour police officer that he could charge you with breech of peace or take you pistol during a traffic stop and make you go to the pd to pick it back up. Thease guys def need an education in firearms laws in ct.

Well I agree with this, the Chief has the duty to train. However, qualified immunity is whether 'any reasonable officer' would come to the same conclusion. Disseminating this information may not fix every officer, but it certainly could not hurt.

The sad reality is that the only way to 'fix' the officers who will not follow the law(s) is to let them violate our rights and then sue.

In accordance with this, Connecticut Carry intends to set up a fund to fight these kinds of cases and to help build a strong foundation of lawsuits and case law in this state. People who are interested in making this happen can join and/or donate.

Remember, right now, if you get arrested and your rights are violated, you are on your own to fund your legal defense and ensuing civil rights lawsuit. This is very difficult and very expensive (I know first hand all about it, so do our directors and so do a few members on this forum). We wish to make our state like many other states, where they have strong organizations that will stand behind people and assist them in defending their civil rights.

If you feel like I do, that people shouldn't have to fight for redress when their rights are violated on their own, then please get involved.

Rich B

CTSurvivor

Seymour pd officers emails are also listed on their website. I would be happy to email the letter rich composed out to all the officers.
I heard from a tiny birdie that a few of those officers heard there was a memo from torrington and they wanna see it.

Rich B

Seymour pd officers emails are also listed on their website. I would be happy to email the letter rich composed out to all the officers.
I heard from a tiny birdie that a few of those officers heard there was a memo from torrington and they wanna see it.

Lets try and do this in a coordinated fashion. As far as Seymour goes, I have a few things I want to discuss with you about it, could you email me at rich@ctcarry.com when you have an opportunity?

davidmcbeth

Banned
A felony conviction applies to all states.

I don't NEED the government's approval to carry ... you clearly think that one needs the government's blessing to exercise a fundamental right .. its one that existed before our constitution was written.

Many people that I know carry w/o any permit or gov't blessing. And some of my friends in states that don't have carry laws still carry because they have the same viewpoint.

Governments cannot create a privilege where a right always existed.

when people start thinking that a gov't needs to regulate a right then this is where the gun control side has already won

CTSurvivor

Nothing communicated to any officers in role call. The only thing that has transpired from this is that no officer is to give any interpretations etc... to ME for any reason. They are to refer me to the chief. Yep, my name was brought up in roll call for three shifts. :lol:

Anyways.... I was contacted through a friend from an "officer" there at the police department about the police memos that exist elsewhere in CT. Yes the same ones on this forum. They were very interested in what other towns had to say. Police memos along with the ccdl pamphlet were printed and dropped off to concerned officers that were looking to do the right thing.

From what I hear, third shift will NOT give anyone problems going forward in regards to a person open carrying.
As for first and second, I know the shift Sergeant on first has already arrested two people for open carrying in the past.
I also won't hold my breath for second shift but that is a fifty fifty shot.

The only thing I can say is that the police department has been notified of the laws and if they arrest me I will sue the pants out of the town along with that arresting individual personally. Hope it does not have to come to that.

Happy carrying!

Rich B

As for first and second, I know the shift Sergeant on first has already arrested two people for open carrying in the past.

Please cite the cases. I have not seen any OC arrests from Seymour.

The only thing I can say is that the police department has been notified of the laws and if they arrest me I will sue the pants out of the town along with that arresting individual personally. Hope it does not have to come to that.

This is always the first thought of people getting into open carry. I know it was mine.

Have you done any research into what a federal 1983 civil rights case costs (hint: it is far from free)? Do you have an attorney willing to take the case? Do you know of any case law that you plan to base your case on? Do you carry a recorder that is always running? Do you know exactly what to say and when to not talk to make sure you establish exactly when each violation of rights occurs?

As for Seymour, I would be happy to get the info out to the officers, but our database is lacking any contact info for Seymour officers. If we can get those filled in, I would be happy to send them the truth individually.

More info here:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99932-Connecticut-Carry-Open-Carry-letter-campaign

Sign up for the campaign, and add a few towns' officers so we can keep this database growing.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Just interloping here from another state, but I thought it might be helpful to the case at hand to add:

Sec. 53a-181.(6) creates a public and hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which such person is not licensed or privileged to do.

"Physically offensive" doesn't always mean what everyone thinks, it's distinct from 'morally offensive' (OMG, that man's got a gun!).
Massachusets “...hazardous or physically offensive conditions” given in the comment to Model Penal Code § 250.2 include “setting off ‘stink bombs,’ strewing garbage, nails, or noxious substances in public passages, turning off lights in an occupied theater, and an endless variety of public annoyances......Of these examples, those that do not involve creation of a “hazardous condition” and so would fall in the category of “physically offensive conditions” all appear to be conditions that offend the senses or cause public annoyance or alarm..."

Hawaii"...creation of a hazardous or physically offensive condition by an act not covered by any authorized license or permit. It would prohibit, for example, the use of a "stink bomb," strewing garbage or other noxious substances in public places, and turning off the lights in a public auditorium..."

Pennsylvania "...4) creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor..." I would argue that defending the lives of oneself or other innocents is a rather legitimate purpose; isn't that why the police carry weapons?

Last edited:

CTSurvivor

Please cite the cases. I have not seen any OC arrests from Seymour.
I cannot cite as it was only relayed to me by a town police officer. Certainly I would only be guessing if I listed every breach of peace arrest in Seymour for the past year.

This is always the first thought of people getting into open carry. I know it was mine.
Nope, not my first thought. I open carried under a class 2 endorsement for 5 years and under a badge for 2 years. I'm just flat out tired of being intimidated into not using my rights without endorsements or a badge. I do commend and thank you for the speedy letter you sent to the chief. I have been open carrying recently.

Have you done any research into what a federal 1983 civil rights case costs (hint: it is far from free)?
No, only what you have told me. I have half of the cost banked up already if it came to that.

Do you have an attorney willing to take the case?
Yes, I sure do. I have a wonderful brother who is an attorney and loves taking on diverse cases.

Do you know of any case law that you plan to base your case on?
Yes... yours! And possibly Goldberg's.

Do you carry a recorder that is always running?
Not always running but on quick select on my phone. I recently switched my SD card out to allow me to record over 24 hours worth of tape. I also downloaded an app that will record without my screen being on so that one would have to know my screen lock pattern to get in and turn it off.

Do you know exactly what to say and when to not talk to make sure you establish exactly when each violation of rights occurs?
My cousin who is a judge told me that silence is golden. Whenever you talk to a cop you only screw yourself and him out of a defense. I will only state my objection to the detainment, search of person, electronically of my ID and gun, and of producing ID. Of course if it came to that.

As for Seymour, I would be happy to get the info out to the officers, but our database is lacking any contact info for Seymour officers. If we can get those filled in, I would be happy to send them the truth individually.

More info here:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99932-Connecticut-Carry-Open-Carry-letter-campaign

Sign up for the campaign, and add a few towns' officers so we can keep this database growing.
I have the whole Seymour PD email list. I will sign up and get them to you over this weekend. Thank you.

Rich B

I cannot cite as it was only relayed to me by a town police officer. Certainly I would only be guessing if I listed every breach of peace arrest in Seymour for the past year.

Then, quite honestly, it didn't happen.

Yes... yours! And possibly Goldberg's.

How are you going to base it on mine when we haven't even had a single appearance so far?

And Goldberg's case is hardly anything to base a new open carry case on since he had entirely different circumstances. Not to mention that if you try to mirror his case, you will likely end up in the same status his case is in. And so far that is not a wonderful status to be in. Even my case is not really based on Goldberg's case and I am using the same Attorney that handled Goldberg's case.

Not always running but on quick select on my phone. I recently switched my SD card out to allow me to record over 24 hours worth of tape. I also downloaded an app that will record without my screen being on so that one would have to know my screen lock pattern to get in and turn it off.

I recommend you do yourself a favor and get a devoted recorder that is always on. It is not usually advisable to be reaching for objects when you are being detained by the police, especially if you end up in an encounter like in Philly where you have an idiot cop who is pointing a gun at you and yelling for you to get on your knees. The first moments of an encounter are important since you will not be saying anything after you know you are detained. I have learned this over time from experiences.

My cousin who is a judge told me that silence is golden. Whenever you talk to a cop you only screw yourself and him out of a defense. I will only state my objection to the detainment, search of person, electronically of my ID and gun, and of producing ID. Of course if it came to that.

It will almost definitely come to that. There is no other reason for an officer to make official contact with you while OCing. And since we have not yet set a foundation on a case for refusing to present ID, there is still a large likelihood that you will be arrested for interfering when you refuse to produce ID. Since we have not yet had an authoritative case in CT on OCing not being RAS, there is no real foundation to protect you from that at this point.

I have the whole Seymour PD email list. I will sign up and get them to you over this weekend. Thank you.

Ok. Thanks.

CTSurvivor

Rich
Signed up but cannot add the emails from Seymour to the list. It says something about having to be approved.