• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newton Sheriff to use random warrantless house to house searches (and we'll like it!)

Thundar

According to Newton County Sheriff, Don Hartman Sr., random house to house searches are now possible ...following the Barnes v. STATE of INDIANA Supreme Court ruling issued on May 12th, 2011. When asked ..he emphatically indicated that he would use random house to house checks, adding he felt people will welcome random searches if it means capturing a criminal.

Link: http://smargus.com/indiana-sheriff-if-we-need-to-conduct-random-house-to-house-searches-we-will/

Sooooooo UN-American! The ends justify the means. This sheriff is the type that should never be given ANY authority, not even dog catcher! Bravo to the Police Chief that said that such an act was unconscionable.

Proposed topic for thread: What will happen to gun - owners if this knucklehead sheriff actually does door to door searches?(I know it is hard, but try not to turn this thread into a sheriff bashing thread.)

Last edited:

Anubis

Kicking the door of a random house is identical to kicking the door of the wrong house. After an innocent home-owner is shot defending his life and property, and maybe a deputy or 2 also shot, this policy will be abandoned.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
Kicking the door of a random house is identical to kicking the door of the wrong house. After an innocent home-owner is shot defending his life and property, and maybe a deputy or 2 also shot, this policy will be abandoned.

foolish thinking. one or several homeowners being shot will simply solidify the statist thinking that people have no right to resist ANY entry. Officers being shot will only ramp up the violence to the effect of flash bangs being shot from a distance until everyone inside is disoriented to the point of unconciousness.

Thundar

If you are legally armed and they kick in your door, then what?

The police are not legally in your house, but will kill YOU if THEY feel threatened...

What if they find weapons? Will they confiscate them for the duration of the search for officer safety?

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
According to Newton County Sheriff, Don Hartman Sr., random house to house searches are now possible ...following the Barnes v. STATE of INDIANA Supreme Court ruling issued on May 12th, 2011. When asked ..he emphatically indicated that he would use random house to house checks, adding he felt people will welcome random searches if it means capturing a criminal.

Link: http://smargus.com/indiana-sheriff-if-we-need-to-conduct-random-house-to-house-searches-we-will/

Sooooooo UN-American! The ends justify the means. This sheriff is the type that should never be given ANY authority, not even dog catcher! Bravo to the Police Chief that said that such an act was unconscionable.

Proposed topic for thread: What will happen to gun - owners if this knucklehead sheriff actually does door to door searches?(I know it is hard, but try not to turn this thread into a sheriff bashing thread.)

This is........SCARY and........Unconstitutional, to say the least!!!! If I recall, wasn't there a story about a guy that was in his home, police came in (unannounced), and the guy (I believed) killed one guy and injured another?!? I believe this happened in PA and the guy didn't know that these "intruders" were police (no badges shown, or jackets with the word "POLICE" on the back of it, or no knock on the door saying "Open up, this is the police!").

I hope IN realizes the error of their ways and fix this fast!!!

Bucks Gun Shop

Just happened in Pima Arizona... All the facts are not out yet but looks like a two tour Marine was shot 60 times by SWAT during a wrong address raid... This is really sad...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90644-Former-Marine-killed-in-botched-SWAT-raid

Aknazer

I wonder if one could raise the defense in killing police who do this that you weren't resisting the entry, you were defending yourself and family from armed intruders. Because without the law stating that it is legal for them to enter your house then they are still intruding and you have the right to defend yourself. And this ruling doesn't make it legal for them to enter, it simply says you can't resist their entering. You didn't resist their entering but you still defended yourself once they were inside. Would also help if IN has a castle law.

Last edited:

Butch00

I guess I would put up steel doors that they would have a very hard time getting through.
That would give me time to call 911 so they could send a lot of ambulances for the people outside.
If they want to act like GESTAPO, they would be treated like GESTAPO.

Last edited:

eye95

Just happened in Pima Arizona... All the facts are not out yet but looks like a two tour Marine was shot 60 times by SWAT during a wrong address raid... This is really sad...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90644-Former-Marine-killed-in-botched-SWAT-raid

It was a wrong address? I have been waiting to find out the whole story, including why the SWAT team was there, before commenting. I don't remember any of the articles I read mentioning a wrong address. Can you direct me to where that fact is mentioned? Thanks.

Jack House

It was a wrong address? I have been waiting to find out the whole story, including why the SWAT team was there, before commenting. I don't remember any of the articles I read mentioning a wrong address. Can you direct me to where that fact is mentioned? Thanks.
I didn't see it. I asked at the beginning of the thread and have yet to receive any answers. Seems like most people are just assuming based on him being a Marine.

I guess I would put up steel doors that they would have a very hard time getting through.
That would give me time to call 911 so they could send a lot of ambulances for the people outside.
If they want to act like GESTAPO, they would be treated like GESTAPO.
They'll just come through the windows, barring that through the walls. :rolleyes:

HandyHamlet

I didn't see it. I asked at the beginning of the thread and have yet to receive any answers.

Well golly gee whiz!

Why didn't you say your GOOGLE was broken?

jerkoff.gif

Dreamer

Here in NC, I'd like to think our LEAs know better than to instigate this sort of foolishness.

Many LEOs use "civilian" ranges for their practice--right beside Citizens on any given morning--because many cities and counties don't have LE-only county-owned ranges, and I get the feeling that NC LEOs have a LOT more respect for the Citizens of NC because of that.

Unlike some of these JBT-laden states that seem to display utter disregard for the rights of their citizens, and are essentially taking a huge steaming dump on the Constitution, and fundamental human rights at every available opportunity. When will they learn?

HandyHamlet

At the time of your question (in the other thread) there was only one post and no claims at all. Just quotes and links and a comment.

So if you want answers you are in the same boat as everyone else. Armed with the same information at your disposal that we are privy to.

Is it our responsibility to do your homework and think for you? If so I respectfully decline.

:cool:

Last edited:

Washintonian_For_Liberty

If this sort of thing really happens... I guarantee you that there will be ambushes waiting in houses of people who are not doing drugs, but who are raring for a fight with those they deem to be tyrants and despots. We will see a Lexington and Concord soon if these types of actions are increased and courts come out in support of them. I guarantee we're going to see a major shootout with cops and the cops will be on the losing end... then... it may very well spiral out of control. These are scary times people... don't think full on violent revolt cannot happen here... because it can... and if this escalates.... it will.

Jack House

At the time of your question (in the other thread) there was only one post and no claims at all. Just quotes and links and a comment.

So if you want answers you are in the same boat as everyone else. Armed with the same information at your disposal that we are privy to.

Is it our responsibility to do your homework and think for you? If so I respectfully decline.

:cool:
The claim was that it was a botched raid. The only info available was that a SWAT team raided a house and shot a man pointing a gun at them. I'd hardly call that botched. :rolleyes:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Negligent Discharge by deputy followed by panicked fire by deputies

This is another incident where overwhelming force seems to have been used unnecessarily. How can the firing of 71 rounds be justified even if there had been provocation, which according to the reports, was absent? It was determined that the Marine did not fire his weapon -- where was the justification for such an (IMO) extreme response? Are not the police supposed to be highly trained and professional? Is there ANY reasonable rationale for multiple officers to have fired 71 times?