• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on an Air Force Base?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I might buy that, but allowing you to leave just because they were going to search, I don't.

read my post. I didn't say they allow you to leave. If you decline they contact the wing CC for "authority to search." They are going to search your car whether you like it or not.

Sheppard AFB, coming through the gate. the security forces sergeant stops us and asks, "do you consent to a random vehicle search?" my buddy responds, "of course!" I ask the sergeant, "why do you even bother asking? don't we HAVE to consent?" He replied, "it makes it easier in court if we find something because you consent to the search." I said, "what if he had said no?" The sergeant replied, "we'd have to contact the wing commander and get authority to search, we'd search, and you'd have your base driving privileges revoked."

So, you do have the option to consent. But even if you DON'T consent, they will search. It should be expected when driving onto a military installation anyways.

Remember, the Constitution does NOT protect the rights of service members. The Feds OWN you and all you have is the UCMJ.
Who told you this? Where in the UCMJ does it say that the constitution does NOT apply to servicemen? Do you know where the UCMJ derives its authority from?

this is straight out of the Air Force PDG
7.16.1. The U.S. Constitution.
The Constitution is the primary source of our military law.
7.16.3. Legal Rights.
Members of the Armed Forces retain virtually all the legal rights they held as civilians before entering the
military, including protection against involuntary self-incrimination and the right to counsel.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Just as a correction, Gov. owned Rifles are not allowed in POVs (privately owned vehicles) PERIOD. Only side arms are allowed to be transported by SNCO and up. As far as bringing a weapon on base, you can IF you have a legitimate reason AND you declare it at the gate. They will be extremely skeptical on what your reason would be though.

some bases have skeet ranges. I've shot skeet on an air force base a few times.

diablos30

you are allowed to transport a gov owned weapon in a pov if your deploying. the weapon serial must be on your orders and you must have a letter from you cc. also, you must proceed directly from base to the poe, no stops authorized.

Gunslinger

some bases have skeet ranges. I've shot skeet on an air force base a few times.

I had no problem bringing my pistol on Peterson--they also have a trap/skeet range, so it is no big deal with the SPs. I simply stated I was going to store it at the Armory while staying in the VOQ. But that is not the same as having a gun while on the base in general. The bottom line is no, period. It can be done with the approval of a Group Level Commander--which is whom I reported to, and the SP Commander--rubber stamp when an O-6 has ok'd it, but only for a specific event, i.e., going target shooting off base at lunch or after work. Can not be done on a daily basis absent the special circumstances.

MilProGuy

This thread has elicited some interesting responses.

Firearms are not allowed on Federal Property (with the exception, of course, of MPs, APs, SPs, etc.)

Coach Ike

Wow, things must have changed a lot. I was an AF pilot for 8 years in the 80's and lived in base housing with my family. I kept my handguns, rifles and shotguns in my house all the time. The only rules were to carry them unloaded and ammo away from easy access when transporting them. If you traveled to another base with your guns and stayed in the boq,s, you had to store your guns in the armory. We shot our private weapons at the range and some bases had gun clubs too.

Freedom 1st

Wow, things must have changed a lot. I was an AF pilot for 8 years in the 80's and lived in base housing with my family. I kept my handguns, rifles and shotguns in my house all the time. The only rules were to carry them unloaded and ammo away from easy access when transporting them. If you traveled to another base with your guns and stayed in the boq,s, you had to store your guns in the armory. We shot our private weapons at the range and some bases had gun clubs too.

Alot of things changed on our military bases and the country in general after 9/11. I do not wish to start the arguement, for or against what is necessary for the security of either. But in my opinion the terrorist who attacked us on that dreadful day, accomplished alot more than destroying buildings and killing innocent people in the U.S.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
But in my opinion the terrorist who attacked us on that dreadful day, accomplished alot more than destroying buildings and killing innocent people in the U.S.

That's so true. Now the biggest threat to our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness is not the terrorists, its us. We've trashed our constitution in the name of protection from terrorism.

Sent using Tapatalk

Kindyj

I am not an Airman, i am a civilian. They don't let blind people serve in the military. I asked this question because i read an article in which a man OC'ed on base and was left alone. Of course some concern was brought up but no charges were brought up. When i go to work on monday i'm going to the police station on base to ask them. I'm just trying to figure out how to pose the question.

carry for myself

here in maine i've only seen 2 or 3 instances where civilian owned weapons were allowed on ANY base.

#1 out near buxton there is a ANG base that has a shooting range/ sand pit and with the permission of an NCO they will allow you to bring weapons to the PIT ONLY. * i have shot there a few times.

#2 Loring AF base in limestone allows civies that work at the Humvee reconstruction program to use the on base range. *no weapons on the old tarmac or any red areas, which are about 98.3% of the property*

#3 BNAFB *brunswick naval airforce base* used to use private contract security for 1/2 the shifts, officers were allowed to bring a 9mm pistol that they/company owned onto base for their shift. but they had to check it in, go through enormous amounts of security, log all rounds brought in/out.

other than those. i've never seen it happen. and i wouldnt even think of taking the risk of attempting it.

Gunslinger

Different situation when you're permanent party. When I was active duty I used to bring my pistols on base to shoot often. Never a problem back in the '70s and never even mentioned it to the SPs at the gate. Times do change.

John563

Kindyj

I work on Whiteman also and there are two answers to your question. The short answer is NO you can not Carry on base. If you live on base you can keep the fire arm in your home and transport it off and on base to and from your home. If you live in the dorms it must be kept at the armery do not get cought with it in your room. ( See AFI 39-101 VOL,2 for more Info. ) You will not get this on line. you need to go to SFS Sq or the wing BLDG to the JAG.
Hope this helps