• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Official who advocated One-Gun-a-Month stabbed in his own home

Repeater

Randy Rollins, a former Virginia secretary of public safety under Governor L. Douglas Wilder, supported gun control, including purchase limits on handguns. It seems he doesn't believe in armed personal defense in his own home:

Ex-safety secretary recovering from stabbing by intruder
O. Randolph Rollins, a former Virginia secretary of public safety, could be released from the hospital today after being stabbed in a struggle with an intruder in his Richmond home.

The incident occurred shortly before 11 p.m. Monday in the 3000 block of Rugby Road in the Carillon neighborhood near Byrd Park.

Richmond police spokesman James Mercante said a man living in the home “came downstairs and found a male in the home.” The homeowner struggled with the intruder and was stabbed several times but also was able to “get the suspect out of the house.”

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am so conflicted. Part of me wants to point my finger and go "Ha! Ha!" a'la Nelson on "the Simpsons". Part of me wonders if the intruder had the knife out when Mr. Rollins saw him downstairs, or when Mr. Rollins got downstairs to confront him - and do a facepalm if that was in fact the case. Part of me wishes Mr. Rollins a speedy recovery without lasting complications. And part of me wonders if this might change his mind about anything.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well one thing is for sure - the one gun he didn't have didn't help him.

That 911 call bringing a MWAG didn't stop the hurt any either.

When seconds count............

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I am so conflicted. Part of me wants to point my finger and go "Ha! Ha!" a'la Nelson on "the Simpsons". Part of me wonders if the intruder had the knife out when Mr. Rollins saw him downstairs, or when Mr. Rollins got downstairs to confront him - and do a facepalm if that was in fact the case. Part of me wishes Mr. Rollins a speedy recovery without lasting complications. And part of me wonders if this might change his mind about anything.

stay safe.

All of me says you pay the price for the consequences of your actions. In other words.... oh well.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You, sir, have no soul. But more importantly, you have no sense of humor.

stay safe.

Lets not forget that the tax feeder who got stabbed was not merely a soccer mom or airheaded college student who blabbed their half-thought opposition to guns in a tweet or at a coffee-gab.

This was a government agent, the sole legitimate purpose of whose employment is to protect rights, who likely actively campaigned to deny self-defense rights to every single resident of the commonwealth, perhaps 4-5 million people at that time.

If he recanted his support for gun-control sometime before the stabbing, perhaps then I might work up some sympathy.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Lets not forget that the tax feeder who got stabbed was not merely a soccer mom or airheaded college student who blabbed their half-thought opposition to guns in a tweet or at a coffee-gab.

This was a government agent, the sole legitimate purpose of whose employment is to protect rights, who likely actively campaigned to deny self-defense rights to every single resident of the commonwealth, perhaps 4-5 million people at that time.

If he recanted his support for gun-control sometime before the stabbing, perhaps then I might work up some sympathy.

+1

Repeater

Rollins said he kept telling the man to get out of the house ...

Randy Rollins calmly recounts the incident with the armed trespasser:

Ex-secretary of public safety recounts stabbing
O. Randolph Rollins, a former Virginia secretary of public safety, calmly recounted today his tense encounter with an intruder who stabbed him several times in his Richmond home Monday night.

Rollins said he went downstairs shortly before 11 p.m. to turn off the lights before going to bed and, as he walked to the kitchen, he could see a tennis shoe sticking out from behind a wall beside his refrigerator.

“I said, ‘Who are you?,’ ” Rollins recalled. “He didn’t answer.”

Rollins said he asked the man what he was doing in his house, but the man did not answer.

“Then he said, ‘Give me some money,’ ” Rollins said.

Rollins said he kept telling the man to get out of the house and the man advanced toward him. At some point, Rollins noticed that the man had a knife, apparently one that the intruder had brought with him, not a knife that had been taken from inside the home.

The intruder and Rollins started struggling in a hallway leading from the kitchen to the front door, and at one point, Rollins said, he believes he was able to grab the man’s wrist that was holding the knife. Rollins thinks the man might have dropped the knife.

The two men fell to the floor in the hallway and ultimately Rollins forced the man out the front door.

It seems the compassionate do-gooder thought he could reason with the miscreant. Confront an armed intruder, tell him to get out. How did that work out?
At first Rollins did not know he’d been stabbed. The blood he saw on the hallway floor, he thought, belonged to the intruder. But he soon noticed that his own left thigh was bleeding.
Good thing Randy didn't die, huh? A femoral artery bleed-out is just so messy.

Object Lesson:

[size=+1]Don't bring a tongue to a knife fight.[/size]

Repeater

stay safe.

As for his state-of-mind, he recently wrote this:

Understanding mass shootings and our Christian responses
BY O. RANDOLPH ROLLINS - April 27, 2013

As Virginia secretary of public safety, I had a leading role in the passage of Gov. L. Douglas Wilder’s one-handgun-per-month bill. The law was designed to reduce gun trafficking. But last year I was disappointed when the law was repealed.

I support background checks for gun buyers, which prohibit purchases by felons, those found guilty of domestic violence and persons committed for mental health reasons. In December 2012, 327 firearms transactions were denied, according to Virginia State Police. But no background checks were required for transactions at gun shows, on the Internet or for private sales, where up to 40 percent of transactions occur. So I was again disappointed when the U.S. Senate failed to pass a law requiring background checks for all commercial sales.

It seems that we are living in a period with more threats from acts of violence, like the mass shootings at Virginia Tech and Newtown, but with fewer resources to prevent them and protect the public. For various reasons, government seems to have pulled back on public safety. At the very least, we are not looking at available information that could help to prevent violence and protect us.

Because of this shift, we as citizens and members of the public have had to take on greater personal responsibility for our own safety. Some decided to buy a gun. In December 2012, gun sales in Virginia were 50 percent greater than in the previous December. Yet when I first heard of the mass shooting of 20 little children and six teachers at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, I asked myself, “How can I explain this?” and “What can I do and say?” Here was a disaster of national proportions, and I had no frame of reference to understand it or to know how to act.

With a better understanding of these disasters, we can make more informed decisions about our personal response. For example, do I have a duty to report criminal or mentally unstable behavior? How can I protect my family if they should be involved in such events?

I am eager to learn from this series and become better informed so I can respond in effective, appropriate ways when the next mass shooting disaster comes.

Well I hope he's learned something now.

Old Virginia Joe

As for his state-of-mind, he recently wrote this:

Understanding mass shootings and our Christian responses

Well I hope he's learned something now.

Well, remember the man of authority at VT who shortly before the VT massacre fought and defeated the effort to allow arms on campus? Then after it happened, he was asked if he now had changed his mind, and might admit how said arms might have prevented or minimized the effects that day? Did he repent of his former foolishness? heck no! IIRC, he doubled down on it, with even more determination to leave the campus helpless going forward. This proves to me it is not about safety, but about controlling masses of people (those who will be controlled---the LAC). Neither of these types ever "learned" anything, and will admit to no foolishness on their parts, ever.

Last edited: