• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USCG on the Ferry

Dave_pro2a

Reading the WA Ferry website, it looks like WSP is delegated car searches. Hits by explosives-sniffing dogs will result in a search, or refusal to enter the ferry. Don't know if WSP would just let you drive away if one of their dogs detected explosives in your vehicle and you refused consent.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/06/false-positives-police-canines-searches/
A study of “false positives” involving drug-sniffing police dogs suggests some police forces may be using canines to do an end-run around constitutional protections against search and seizure, and may be profiling racial minorities in the process...

56 percent of all police searches triggered by a drug-sniffing dog turned nothing up...

perhaps tellingly, that number jumped to 73 percent when the search involved a Latino subject...

dog-training experts say the problem stems at least in part from an almost complete lack of standards for police dogs in the US...

an Auburn University professor who studies police dogs [explains that] handlers can trigger a false positive from a dog by walking it around a car too many times, or too slowly, giving the dog a cue that a certain behavior is expected.

LEO = no training standards
LEO = conducting illegal searches
LEO = institutional racism

Sad and pathetic, but not surprising or shocking.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I've noticed a pair of USCG guys walking the car decks on the ferry between Bainbridge and Seattle. I imagine they're on the other runs as well. I don't think they're armed- I see a lot of gear on their belts and some drop-leg pouches, but I can't say I've seen a handgun. This could be just a bad angle though.

Anyway, I wonder how they'll act if they see us openly carrying, and more importantly, what is their authority?

I saw USCG guys armed on the ferry a few years ago. Not recently.

Why would they need authority? Open carry is legal in Washington.....

EMNofSeattle

Reading the WA Ferry website, it looks like WSP is delegated car searches. Hits by explosives-sniffing dogs will result in a search, or refusal to enter the ferry. Don't know if WSP would just let you drive away if one of their dogs detected explosives in your vehicle and you refused consent.

They should, because their search authority on the ferries is exclusively for the safety of the vessel and not criminal. There's all kinds of legal things that an explosives dog will hit on. Fireworks come to mind.

EMNofSeattle

Seriously?

Yes seriously. There is no authority required to carry a handgun openly in Washington. So the only authority the coast guard members would need is from their military authority for the issue of government property. What legal authority can possibly be required if open carry is legal under the laws of Washington? They may need legal authority in New York, but not in Washington. In a legal sense open carry is not illegal under fed law, legal under WA law, and they probably have permission to be armed from their CO. So why would they need authority? Authority is to exempt you from laws, but an exemption isn't needed.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

If they are in civilian clothes, open carry of a firearm is not an issue. If they are in uniform they are on duty, representing the Service assigned. Armed Civilians(LACs) are not being discussed here. Armed Military, not Armed Citizen.

EMNofSeattle

If they are in civilian clothes, open carry of a firearm is not an issue. If they are in uniform they are on duty, representing the Service assigned. Armed Civilians(LACs) are not being discussed here. Armed Military, not Armed Citizen.

So what's your problem with this? What authority should they require? What do you want done. Assume you're dictator for life. What do we do about these coasties?

EMNofSeattle

Seriously?

You know there's more then one word in the English language right?

They could be in transit to another station, carrying expensive property/classified documents, going to the port of seattle for whatever reason, or doing simply doing a security round, a few bored petty officers not much to do so they have them ride the ferry and keep their eyes open. Regardless it's not a concern. The military carrying guns? Who'da think it?

And besides, they're doing nothing you can't legally do yourself, so what's the issue. If you want to Strap on your G-lok fotay and ride the ferry a few times you're free to do so.

Last edited:

BobbyLee666

Since they were in uniform and wearing utility belts, its pretty easy to assume they were on duty. There are quite a few Coast Guard bases around the Sound that they could be in transit to, and wearing firearms may be necessary in the course of their duty. As a retired USCG Warrant Officer and trained boarding officer, I would have no problem being around armed Coasties, knowing the training they receive.

Dave_pro2a

You know there's more then one word in the English language right?

They could be in transit to another station, carrying expensive property/classified documents, going to the port of seattle for whatever reason, or doing simply doing a security round, a few bored petty officers not much to do so they have them ride the ferry and keep their eyes open. Regardless it's not a concern. The military carrying guns? Who'da think it?

And besides, they're doing nothing you can't legally do yourself, so what's the issue. If you want to Strap on your G-lok fotay and ride the ferry a few times you're free to do so.

EmnofSeattle: Is the Coast Guard part of the United States military complex?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Ahhhh 'equality' for all, but some pigs are more equal than others.

animal_farm-some-animals-are-more-equal-than-others.jpg

+1

EMNofSeattle

EmnofSeattle: Is the Coast Guard part of the United States military complex?

Let you in on a tip, rhetorical questions work best when your point is readily apparent.

What's your point? Do you not believe in a military? Do you think the military should not be armed? Did a coastguard men scare you as a child? Do you think the coast guard is not part of the military? What's the point here?

Dave_pro2a

Let you in on a tip, rhetorical questions work best when your point is readily apparent.

What's your point? Do you not believe in a military? Do you think the military should not be armed? Did a coastguard men scare you as a child? Do you think the coast guard is not part of the military? What's the point here?

I saw USCG guys armed on the ferry a few years ago. Not recently.

EMNofSeattlebesides said:
they're doing nothing you can't legally do yourself, so what's the issue.

You're not going to get it. Sudden Valley Gunner might, but you won't.

Hint, anything a government official does while on duty and acting in official capacity requires legitimate authority. It has to do with the nature of positive and negative natural Rights.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

You're not going to get it. Sudden Valley Gunner might, but you won't.

Hint, anything a government official does while on duty and acting in official capacity requires legitimate authority. It has to do with the nature of positive and negative natural Rights.

Not for activities which require no authority......which in WA includes open carry.