• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry

92FS

I purchased a handgun in February for self defense and target practice, im interested in open carry. But wondering how I should go about it. I’ve only lived here for about 1 year and a half, so I don’t have a feel for way the Leos in this state would react. Seen some pretty bad scenes on u tube. Do you have any advice on how to transition to open carry in a state you are not familiar with? Thanks :D

Sam

What town do you live in? Or more importantly, what town will you be carrying most?

Lot's of people do the Wally Walk first (buy a few items at Walmart while carrying). Go somewhere you know is open carry friendly. Smile, be aware of your surroundings, remain professional, and read read read. Make sure you know the law. Try not to look nervous... =-)

sultan62

92fs, I just started a couple of weeks ago, also in NC. As Sam said, it is important to know where you will be carrying.

That said, I just started carrying. I don't know of any way to transition or 'ease into it,' I just started doing it. I have to be careful because I've never looked for signs that say 'no weapons,' so I pull by the entrance before parking now to look for signs. That way I don't get to the entrance, then see the sign and have to walk back out to my car.

Also, I don't know anyone else who open carries, so I have no idea about LEOs either. I actually haven't run into any yet, but I'll be sure to post about it if I do. So far, I have only had one person ask me about it. I've had some looks, including one salesgirl who glanced down at my SA every 10 seconds or so for a few minutes, but didn't say anything. Today was the first time I carried into a building that had a sign for 'No Concealed Firearms/Weapons' and I had no problems.

cabarrus

I too have just recently started OC'ing. I've had a CHP for a couple years now and have generally carried concealed when/wherever I could. I finally got up the nerve to OC about 1 week ago. I've been in 2 Harris Teeters, Lowes Foods, Lowes Home Improvement, Walmart, and Sam's Club (all in and around 28027) without any noticeable reaction at all.

92FS

What town do you live in? Or more importantly, what town will you be carrying most?

Lot's of people do the Wally Walk first (buy a few items at Walmart while carrying). Go somewhere you know is open carry friendly. Smile, be aware of your surroundings, remain professional, and read read read. Make sure you know the law. Try not to look nervous... =-)

I live in Mooresville, Walmart huh, I think I can give that a try thanks.

92FS

92fs, I just started a couple of weeks ago, also in NC. As Sam said, it is important to know where you will be carrying.

That said, I just started carrying. I don't know of any way to transition or 'ease into it,' I just started doing it. I have to be careful because I've never looked for signs that say 'no weapons,' so I pull by the entrance before parking now to look for signs. That way I don't get to the entrance, then see the sign and have to walk back out to my car.

Also, I don't know anyone else who open carries, so I have no idea about LEOs either. I actually haven't run into any yet, but I'll be sure to post about it if I do. So far, I have only had one person ask me about it. I've had some looks, including one salesgirl who glanced down at my SA every 10 seconds or so for a few minutes, but didn't say anything. Today was the first time I carried into a building that had a sign for 'No Concealed Firearms/Weapons' and I had no problems.

Looking for those signs by driving by is a good idea. Id hate to do the walk back to the car.

sFe

Most of NC is pretty open to OC. There is a couple of cities like Cary that don't allow it. I haven't had any bad reaction as of yet to my OC'ing. Some places will only allow OC(banks) and others CC(some gun shops).

Last edited:

92FS

I too have just recently started OC'ing. I've had a CHP for a couple years now and have generally carried concealed when/wherever I could. I finally got up the nerve to OC about 1 week ago. I've been in 2 Harris Teeters, Lowes Foods, Lowes Home Improvement, Walmart, and Sam's Club (all in and around 28027) without any noticeable reaction at all.

I want to talk to an attorney that specializes in 2and Amendment and firearms matters before I go out. But it is nice to know of all the success everyone here is having

92FS

Most of NC is pretty open to OC. There is a couple of cities like Cary that don't allow it. I haven't had any bad reaction as of yet to my OC'ing. Some places will only allow OC(banks) and others CC(some gun shops).

So far North Carolina has been all I have hoped it would be. How can you find out what your cities OC rules are?

Dreamer

92AF, Welcome to OCDO. Keep asking questions. There is a GREAT group of people on here that can help you navigate the confusing rules, laws, and statutes of NC Open Carry.

Here is a link to the Municipal Code for Mooreville, NC:

http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=12288&doc_action=whatsnew

This site has a search function, so just search for "firearms" and you should get all the info you need for your specific town.

As a general rule, OC is legal just in almost EVERY city of NC, with the exception of Cary (no carry on city property, which includes streets and sidewalks) and Chapel Hill (you can't carry guns with "short" barrels).

Some cities have prohibitions on carry in city parks, and if you don't have a CHP, carrying near schools can be problematic, but generally, if it's not a government building (city, state, fed) a restaurant that serves alcohol, or a venue that charges admission (like a movie theater), and it's not posted private property, you are probably OK to carry...

Specific venues, you can ask about. Some of us have been doing this a while, and have got most of the prohibited places (and commercial establishments that are not gun-friendly) figured out. Keep asking questions, and we'll do what we can to steer you in the right direction...

Also, you might consider joining GRNC, they are a NC-specific gun rights organization that is VERY politically active, and are very pro-OC. They fight for our rights when groups like the NRA won't, and supporting them benefits ALL gun owners in NC--CC and OC...

http://www.grnc.org/

Last edited:

chiefjason

Dont the same laws apply to concealed carriers?

For the most part, yes. If you don't OC in areas you can't CC then you will stay well within the law. There are a couple of minor differences.

IIRC, a member here used to work security at Target in Moorseville and they were good for OC. Gander Mtn should be good. Dicks Sporting goods too. There are folks on this board and others that OC in that area with no real problems.

If talking to an attorney makes you feel better, then go for it. But don't let that be a substitute for learning for yourself. It will not be the lawyers rear in a sling if there were a problem. And understanding why you can OC in NC is key to addressing issues you may have with businesses, LEO's, or the public. Basically, OC in NC is not illegal and is supported by the Constitution of NC and NCSC case law, therefore it is legal. Somehow Cary is allowed to slide on this.

cabarrus

I want to talk to an attorney that specializes in 2and Amendment and firearms matters before I go out. But it is nice to know of all the success everyone here is having

... CVS, Target, Marshalls, and BJs added to my list of "no noticeable reaction" locations. Had to disarm during dinner at Asian Cafe (they sell and serve alcohol, but I didn't partake... only H2O for me).

spinner

I live in burlington and just started OC. It did feel wierd at first but i think I noticed that i was OC,ing more than anyone else. Had lunch in a wendy's sat the 17'th in greensboro and a deputy sheriff sat right behind us. no problems. keep it up guy's

cabarrus

I live in Mooresville, Walmart huh, I think I can give that a try thanks.

92FS, did the Wally Walk work out for you?

I got my first real reaction the other evening. I was in REI (outside of Northlake Mall) with my wife. As we were checking out, one of the staff members (female) at the counter said "whoa, you're hardcore" after seeing my sp101 on my hip. I chatted briefly with them about it. Neither of the two staff members present seemed to have any issue with it, mostly just commenting on the novelty.

cricketdad

Also, you might consider joining GRNC, they are a NC-specific gun rights organization that is VERY politically active, and are very pro-OC. They fight for our rights when groups like the NRA won't, and supporting them benefits ALL gun owners in NC--CC and OC...

http://www.grnc.org/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the plug. I have belonged to GRNC for more years than I can remember. If any of you go to the gun show in Fayetteville stop in and visit. I am the one of the coordinators for the Fayetteville area.

Last edited: