• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ladies and revolvers

mahkagari

Tonight the second woman in a row, i.e. the second woman to comment at all while I was wearing a revolver, said that revolvers were "hot" vs. automatics. Anyone that can give input on whether this is a widespread opinion? There's not a lot of female posters around here, maybe some lurkers?

Sonora Rebel

My wife carries a wheelgun. I think she's pretty hot... but 'not 'cause of the gun. Revolvers associate with 'cowboy'. Some women think cowboys are 'hot'. I just experienced much unsolicited 'hotness' in Tombstone over the weekend to the chagrin of a friend from CA who was with me. It was damn near embarrassing. I was carrying a SAA .45LC) 'Left him shakin' his head.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My wife carries a wheelgun. I think she's pretty hot... but 'not 'cause of the gun. Revolvers associate with 'cowboy'. Some women think cowboys are 'hot'. I just experienced much unsolicited 'hotness' in Tombstone over the weekend to the chagrin of a friend from CA who was with me. It was damn near embarrassing. I was carrying a SAA .45LC) 'Left him shakin' his head.

Was this unsolicited attention from an amateur and of the opposite sex? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

Sonora Rebel

Was this unsolicited attention from an amateur and of the opposite sex? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

It was several (multiple) instances of (sober) female tourists putting the make on moi. Not all of 'em Americans. My wife attributes it to my pheromones. 'Happens frequently... she's witnesssed it. I carry a gun but I can't attribute it to that alone. I have this 'thing' with animals too. Horses, mules, cats, dogs... parrots. 'Gotta be the 'cowboy' gene.

Last edited:

mahkagari

It was several (multiple) instances of (sober) female tourists putting the make on moi.

Did it look like 6:08 through 6:30 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANcuDQbXYw0&p=5BD180B9FF4801C1&playnext=1&index=3

FWICT from their comments, automatics are fancy boys' toys of moving thingajigs and mechanical whirlibobbers with parts for men to move around and make clicking chunkit noises. Much like stick shifts on sports cars. We don't want to just go fast, we want to move stuff around to show off how much we're making it do the thing it does. Whereas wheelguns are just big, thick, weighty, sleek hunky slabs of ..... steel.

Last edited:

jhco50

Tonight the second woman in a row, i.e. the second woman to comment at all while I was wearing a revolver, said that revolvers were "hot" vs. automatics. Anyone that can give input on whether this is a widespread opinion? There's not a lot of female posters around here, maybe some lurkers?

That right there should say something! From now on it's a revolver for me! :D

kwikrnu

Banned
armedshirthandgun.jpg

armedpic1.jpg

HvyMtl

Ladies and revolvers are sexy. And Ladies with semi-autos are sexy.

The choice of a handgun really boils down to a few things. 1) Feel. Does it just feel right in your hand?

2) Aim - Does the gun point and shoot where you think it does when it is comfortably in your hand?

3) Recoil - Is the recoil manageable and not uncomfortable? How quick is the follow on shot?

4) Holstering - can you find a holster that is comfortable to wear, that allows you to draw properly and fast?

5) Fit to purpose - reliable, easy to use.

6) Appearance - to some it matters, some not. No offense, but this does matter more to women than men.

Now. AS to appearance - Revolvers are from an era of gun making where the look of the firearm really mattered. The idea of it looking like something to send someone to meet their maker was important. Aesthetics focused on intimidation of those who would threaten the carrier of the firearm. A thing of deadly beauty, if you will... An era of things being crafted, not made...

So. Yes. I have found women do like revolvers better. I have also found they have a tendency to carry revolvers more than semi-autos, too.

mahkagari

Now. AS to appearance - Revolvers are from an era of gun making where the look of the firearm really mattered. The idea of it looking like something to send someone to meet their maker was important.

Well, they had to be since they couldn't actually shoot worth a damn.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ladies and revolvers are sexy. And Ladies with semi-autos are sexy.

The choice of a handgun really boils down to a few things. 1) Feel. Does it just feel right in your hand?

2) Aim - Does the gun point and shoot where you think it does when it is comfortably in your hand?

3) Recoil - Is the recoil manageable and not uncomfortable? How quick is the follow on shot?

4) Holstering - can you find a holster that is comfortable to wear, that allows you to draw properly and fast?

5) Fit to purpose - reliable, easy to use.

6) Appearance - to some it matters, some not. No offense, but this does matter more to women than men.

I find this to be a fine assessment of considerations ladies (or anyone, for that matter) should consider in their choice of firearms, should they choose to either purchase, own, or carry a firearm.

I would add the following questions:

1. Are you intending it to be a full-time defense weapon, that is, you would carry it (if legal) at all times?

2. Are you intending it to be a home defense weapon?

3. Are you intending it to be a "just in case weapon?"

If the first, I'd argue it behooves you to go with a multi-shot semi-auto, and become very familiar with rapid reload, barrier techniques, etc.

If the second, get a min-length semi-auto shotgun of a caliber you can handle (I dunno - .410? 12 guage?) and please practice so you won't hesitate at blowing away a perp but will stop short of shooting a concerned neighbor who heard loud noise behind your house...

If the third, it's your choice.

I've been in all three situations, and here's what I choose, and why:

1. .380 ACP for the first few years, with a .44 magnum home defense backup. Reason being: With a .44 magnum, I can double-tap center body mass at 0.20 sec intervals at 15 yds without fail.

2. My 9mm, with a .44 magnum backup. Reason being: I can double-tap center body mass at 0.20 sec intervals at 25 yds without fail.

Are we seeing a pattern, here? It's about stopping the threat, nothing more. I can stop the threat with my 9mm. Even if they're wearing body armor, a shot to the head works well.

But that's less than a third of the equation! The other third involves the use of barriers against the perps! They're shooting at you, too, right? Are you bulletproof? I'm not! I rely on two things:

10% I'm a hell of a lot better shot than they are
90% I'm a hell of a lot better use of barriers than they are

There's a third factor, but I can't give away all my secrets... I'd have to talk with that NRA/Israeli guy, first.

Now. AS to appearance - Revolvers are from an era of gun making where the look of the firearm really mattered. The idea of it looking like something to send someone to meet their maker was important. Aesthetics focused on intimidation of those who would threaten the carrier of the firearm. A thing of deadly beauty, if you will... An era of things being crafted, not made...

So. Yes. I have found women do like revolvers better. I have also found they have a tendency to carry revolvers more than semi-autos, too.

Pull and shoot, I get it, and my personal 16+1 setup is set up the same way. Why limit our ladies to 6+0 setups when, with just a touch of additional training (which my nine-year-old son mastered six months ago), a 16+1 setup is entirely within their grasp?

I'll not tolerate this sexist crap, especially since my 1989 girlfriend continually outshot me at the range until a friendly sheriff stepped in to help adjust my aim. So my ex was Annie Oakly reincarnated, or not, I don't care. I fire true today, but she did before me, and very well, for a California girl... :)

Truth be honest, she could knock my socks off, but unless she's improved tremendously, not anymore. Regardless, she's still a California girl, which I do NOT mean derrogatorially, but rather, that there are pro-2A citizens all over the place.

Alas, she married some guy she's happy with, so I'll not speak disparingly of either him or her.

Woof. C-130s rule.

MamaLiberty

I love my SP101 .357M revolver and shoot it regularly (well), but I carry an XD compact .45 all the time, everywhere because it is the best defensive weapon I own. 13 + 1 in the pipe is just better than 5 in a cylinder and a speed loader or two in my pocket.

Any woman can learn to defend herself with a semi-auto, and should if she's serious about it. But when all is said and done, it's her choice. If she's going to pack the thing, it needs to suit her and nobody else. I do my best to see that my students have all the information they need to make that choice rationally.

mahkagari

As an aside, the original intent of the topic was querying women's preference of the aesthetic appeal of revolvers vs. semi-autos on MEN. Not whether they could/should carry one or the other.

For me, I like the axiom "You shoot what you can hit something with." More rounds of a larger caliber won't help you if it doesn't fit your hand to shoot accurately. You can learn a .357 mag, .357 SIG, .44 ACP, .44 mag, whatever. But everyone, male, female, big, small, and Count Rugen with six fingers on his left hand, have their own preferences.

Last edited:

ZackL

I've never owned a revolver, much less carried one, but I have noticed more women seem to think that revolvers are sexy. Every girl I've talked to about guns seem to like revolvers more than semi's. However, I've also noticed that 1911's (yet another gun I don't own that I really do want) put up a good fight against the sexiness of revolvers.

Now, if I had to choose between a revolver or semi-auto on a woman... Definitely has to be XD, 1911, or - my personal favorite - a Ruger P345 or SR9 both in bi-tone. But really any woman that's ready and prepared to defend herself and/or her family is one of the most beautiful things in the world, no matter what they're carrying.

mahkagari

Now, if I had to choose between a revolver or semi-auto on a woman... Definitely has to be XD, 1911, or - my personal favorite - a Ruger P345 or SR9 both in bi-tone. But really any woman that's ready and prepared to defend herself and/or her family is one of the most beautiful things in the world, no matter what they're carrying.

I'll be in my bunk.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have noticed more women seem to think that revolvers are sexy.

Sexy how? Sexy to own? Use? As worn on a guy's hip?

Every girl I've talked to about guns seem to like revolvers more than semi's.

The only girl I've talked to who was serious about carrying preferred her Taurus 9mm.

I agree with the latter, as well as the best gun for anyone, regardless of sex, is the one with which they're most effective should the proverbial scrap ever hit the fan.

ZackL

Sexy as in the look, style and design of the firearm, possibly the cowboy appeal. The only girl I've talked to that was seriously considering carrying (outside of forum members and members' wives) was my cousin and she likes the feel of smaller polymer guns - she's only ever shot my full-sized Hi-Point and Ruger, but prefers how the smaller and slimmer guns fit her hands - as she's quite small. But even she likes the look and simplicity of revolvers.

As for the best gun, I agree that it is the one they are most comfortable and confident using. I don't condemn nor condone revolvers for carry, so long as the person carrying them understands the limitations and have trained with it enough.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Did it look like 6:08 through 6:30 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANcuDQbXYw0&p=5BD180B9FF4801C1&playnext=1&index=3

FWICT from their comments, automatics are fancy boys' toys of moving thingajigs and mechanical whirlibobbers with parts for men to move around and make clicking chunkit noises. Much like stick shifts on sports cars. We don't want to just go fast, we want to move stuff around to show off how much we're making it do the thing it does. Whereas wheelguns are just big, thick, weighty, sleek hunky slabs of ..... steel.

My Vette's a six speed and I carry 1911s or my Hi-Power, generally. Of course, I'm hot even in the Jeep with a snubbie...