• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana...permit to OC

Mark 1911

Ky has a lifetime permit to carry a gun too....Its called the constitution...no charge...

SP,

Although it is legal to OC in KY without a permit, Kentucky is still not a "constitutional carry" state yet. You can OC in KY without a permit, but can not conceal. In Indiana its your choice. I may be an advocate of OC, but I also advocate the right to decide for myself to OC or CC, not the state. I understand there is pending Constitutional Carry legislation in KY introduced by Rep. Mike Harmon, but its still pending, not passed. So as of the present moment, KY still requires their residents to have a permit UNLESS you choose to OC.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on your comments regarding the constitution. And "Ideally", permits would not be required at all and all there would be reciprocity between all states. However, we unfortunately do not live in an ideal world. The bad guys have been throwing the proverbial monkey wrench of crime into our free society since its inception, and that creates problems for the good guys.

The nice thing about permits is 1) bad guys can't have one so if someone is carrying, and has a license to carry, it means they have been checked out by the law and deemed to be a "good guy". 2) If you happen to travel to a state that has reciprocity with yours, Indiana is one of them, then a permit makes you legal in the state that you're visiting, which is a very nice thing when your travelling. I have permits from 3 other states besides Indiana, which makes me legal in 37 states. I don't mind paying for that one bit, and I am proud to be a promoter of 2nd Amemdment rights.

The nice thing about Indiana is that they keep things very simple when it comes to reciprocity, they recognize ALL states permits, just like Kentucky. Yes we unfortunately have to spend a few bucks to get the permit, but we spend money for a lot of things. I wish we didn't have to, but at least we can if we want to.

Some states that have Constitutional Carry laws will still issue a permit, precisely for their residents who want to carry when traveling to other states. I know it gets in your craw to have to pay the $60 to the state to get the permit, but that's the way it is right now. How much do you spend every year for fishing, or hunting, or motorcycles, or cars, or whatever your hobby might be? A whole lot more that $60, right? So cmon man, break out the wallet and pay the $60. The way I see it, the state will be happy to take your money, and that is one more reason for them to support the 2nd Amendment! Get the permit, and come to Indiana and OC and be a pacesetter. Set the example, help get people used to exercising their constitutional rights. Like they say, freedom is never free. In this case, the $60 is a small investment to make so that our children have a better chance of practicing their rights as Americans in the future. It beats dying on a battlefield somewhere overseas. It is a small sacrifice in comparison, but is still a very important sacrifice for gun rights advocates like ourselves to make for future generations of Americans.

So yes it will cost you $60 to get the permit from KY, but once you have it, you can OC in Indiana just like in KY. And for those rare occasions when you might freely choose to conceal (I concealed when I took my mother out for Mother's Day for example, because it just takes too much energy to explain my position every time), you would also be able to do that in IN and KY.

Last edited:

self preservation

SP,

Although it is legal to OC in KY without a permit, Kentucky is still not a "constitutional carry" state yet. You can OC in KY without a permit, but can not conceal. In Indiana its your choice. I may be an advocate of OC, but I also advocate the right to decide for myself to OC or CC, not the state. I understand there is pending Constitutional Carry legislation in KY introduced by Rep. Mike Harmon, but its still pending, not passed. So as of the present moment, KY still requires their residents to have a permit UNLESS you choose to OC.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on your comments regarding the constitution. And "Ideally", permits would not be required at all and all there would be reciprocity between all states. However, we unfortunately do not live in an ideal world. The bad guys have been throwing the proverbial monkey wrench of crime into our free society since its inception, and that creates problems for the good guys.

The nice thing about permits is 1) bad guys can't have one so if someone is carrying, and has a license to carry, it means they have been checked out by the law and deemed to be a "good guy". 2) If you happen to travel to a state that has reciprocity with yours, Indiana is one of them, then a permit makes you legal in the state that you're visiting, which is a very nice thing when your travelling. I have permits from 3 other states besides Indiana, which makes me legal in 37 states. I don't mind paying for that one bit, and I am proud to be a promoter of 2nd Amemdment rights.

The nice thing about Indiana is that they keep things very simple when it comes to reciprocity, they recognize ALL states permits, just like Kentucky. Yes we unfortunately have to spend a few bucks to get the permit, but we spend money for a lot of things. I wish we didn't have to, but at least we can if we want to.

Some states that have Constitutional Carry laws will still issue a permit, precisely for their residents who want to carry when traveling to other states. I know it gets in your craw to have to pay the $60 to the state to get the permit, but that's the way it is right now. How much do you spend every year for fishing, or hunting, or motorcycles, or cars, or whatever your hobby might be? A whole lot more that $60, right? So cmon man, break out the wallet and pay the $60. The way I see it, the state will be happy to take your money, and that is one more reason for them to support the 2nd Amendment! Get the permit, and come to Indiana and OC and be a pacesetter. Set the example, help get people used to exercising their constitutional rights. Like they say, freedom is never free. In this case, the $60 is a small investment to make so that our children have a better chance of practicing their rights as Americans in the future. It beats dying on a battlefield somewhere overseas. It is a small sacrifice in comparison, but is still a very important sacrifice for gun rights advocates like ourselves to make for future generations of Americans.

So yes it will cost you $60 to get the permit from KY, but once you have it, you can OC in Indiana just like in KY. And for those rare occasions when you might freely choose to conceal (I concealed when I took my mother out for Mother's Day for example, because it just takes too much energy to explain my position every time), you would also be able to do that in IN and KY.

I just dont think IN should charge for OC...CC I can see... And I agree that we dont live in an idea world. And maybe it is a small price to pay but here we pay nothing to enjoy those rights (as far as OC goes). And when I said constitution I meant the KY constitution as well as the USC. Just wish you could at least OC ANYWHERE in the US without paying a fee....But I also wish I was well endowed and had a million bucks...Just wishful thinking. But like you said, at least we are not a state where no kind of carry is allowed. Between the two evils I would rather pay a fee instead of not having that right at all.