• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro PD is up for a Accreditation this month... Public input required - thoughts?

z28power

Saw this on the news last night and wondered if it would be helpful to our cause with regard to improper enforcement in parks and libraries regarding state preemption.

Basically, Metro PD recertifies with this national Law Enforcement Accreditation Agency every three years. Part of the accreditation involves public forum input at a meeting at the end of the month. I missed all the details regarding where this meeting is, but would this be a useful or good time to put some heat on them regarding blindly enforcing anti OC policies at public facilities like the library and county parks?

I believe it was March 31, did not catch the location. The name of the Accreditation Agency is CALEA - www.calea.org

z28power

Here's the PDF

http://www.lvmpd.com/Portals/0/news/2014/032014ReleasePO064.pdf

ETA: Just saw this paragraph:
People wishing to offer their comments in person, by phone or in writing, must
comment on the agency’s ability to comply with CALEA standards. A copy of the
standards is available for review at the LVMPD Headquarters in the Quality Assurance
office, located in building A.

All comments submitted will be received by a member of the Commission’s
assessment team. For more information regarding the Commission on Accreditation for
Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc., please visit the CALEA website at www.calea.org.

So I have to see what these standards are and how to work in OC enforcement in areas that should not be enforced. hmmmm.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Would this accreditation agency care about official department policies that are in violation of state laws?

I'll be writing a letter to find out.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Anytime is a good time to put righteous heat on a department, but that is not the mission or purpose of CALEA.

• CALEA Accreditation requires an agency to develop a comprehensive, well thought out, uniform set of written directives. This is one of the most successful methods for reaching administrative and operational goals, while also providing direction to personnel.
  • CALEA Accreditation standards provide the necessary reports and analyses a CEO needs to make fact-based, informed management decisions.
  • CALEA Accreditation requires a preparedness program be put in place—so an agency is ready to address natural or man-made unusual occurrences.
  • CALEA Accreditation is a means for developing or improving upon an agency’s relationship with the community.
  • CALEA Accreditation strengthens an agency’s accountability, both within the agency and the community, through a continuum of standards that clearly define authority, performance, and responsibilities.
  • Being CALEA Accredited can limit an agency’s liability and risk exposure because it demonstrates that internationally recognized standards for law enforcement have been met, as verified by a team of independent outside CALEA-trained assessors.
  • CALEA Accreditation facilitates an agency’s pursuit of professional excellence.
Reads like a ISO certification. Need one to compete in a challenging market place.....does not apply to a LEA, and as such, is a meaningless "honor."

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No, they don't. Again, that is not their purpose.

How not? Here's the first paragraph of Metro's announcement:
Assessors from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) will be in Las Vegas beginning March 30, 2014 to examine all aspects of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department’s policy and procedures, management operations and support services.

They don't care if these policies are in violation of state law?

Indeed, if they don't care, they are minimizing their own status of accreditation greatly.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Reads like a ISO certification. Need one to compete in a challenging market place.....does not apply to a LEA, and as such, is a meaningless "honor."

I agree completely. However, they do not deserve the honor. No doubt, some agencies do.

OC for ME

... learning and maintaining best practices judged so by their peers. <snip>
36_1_19.gif

z28power

I agree completely. However, they do not deserve the honor. No doubt, some agencies do.

This is more along the lines I'm thinking of. Apparently they have been certified since the late 80s or early 90s if I recall, so it would seem they care about this accreditation.

Why wouldn't we use the chance to confront some wrongs that should be righted in order for them to get something they want?

I never ever thought this would dissolve the Metro PD in any way, shape or form. But if there's a public input portion to the accreditation, why shouldn't we try to push for what is important to us? If there are policies in place that are contradictory to state law, this seems like something that should be addressed, right?

Last edited: