• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-gun vs. Pro-2a

davidmcbeth

Banned
Freedom is exercising your rights when and how you see fit, and still maintain a mutual respect for your fellow Americans when they do as well, even if that’s not your personal preference.

I don't have to respect people talking the fascist crap that they say ... I tolerate them...to a point.

acmariner99

Excellent article - I too am very pro gun and pro 2A (I don't want to put an asterisk on this but there is a point to be made) - there are ways to improperly open carry. The picture that was taken of the two numnuts OCing long guns in Texas were carrying in a "ready" position. Perception is everything when we open carry. If you are carrying like you are about to start shooting, I can easily understand people's anxiety over the issue. If you want to open carry a long gun, fine, but is it too much to ask to carry the rifle slung in such a fashion that doesn't make it look like you are taking an aggressive posture? If I see people carrying like that, I would ask them to carry safely and if they didn't comply I would leave as is my right. Poor public perception does hurt us.

WalkingWolf

A lot of people claim to be 2A, Obama and Biden examples, but clearly are not. It takes more than just making a claim, you have to back up the talk. Unfortunately too many of those making the claim love to point fingers.

sudden valley gunner

stealthyeliminator

Excellent article - I too am very pro gun and pro 2A (I don't want to put an asterisk on this but there is a point to be made) - there are ways to improperly open carry. The picture that was taken of the two numnuts OCing long guns in Texas were carrying in a "ready" position. Perception is everything when we open carry. If you are carrying like you are about to start shooting, I can easily understand people's anxiety over the issue. If you want to open carry a long gun, fine, but is it too much to ask to carry the rifle slung in such a fashion that doesn't make it look like you are taking an aggressive posture? If I see people carrying like that, I would ask them to carry safely and if they didn't comply I would leave as is my right. Poor public perception does hurt us.

They were not carrying like that. One of them briefly held his rifle up a little to get it included in a picture, as had been done hundreds of times before without issue. It's always been recommended to carry slung on the back, but for pictures, who the hell really cares if they pull it around front... Apparently MDA does, as well as a lot of pro-gun anti-2a people, hence we arrive at the article in the OP.

I understand your point, and it is valid, but your example is not a valid one of the point you made.

stealthyeliminator

So if you are Pro-2A, can you be anti-gun?

Yes, in the sense that you can have a personal distaste for firearms, or a serious lack of interest, or even despise firearms, but still respect the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, along with the right and necessity for a populous to be equipped, trained, and generally prepared to defend themselves (potentially referred to as the forming of a militia).

Redbaron007

Yes, in the sense that you can have a personal distaste for firearms, or a serious lack of interest, or even despise firearms, but still respect the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, along with the right and necessity for a populous to be equipped, trained, and generally prepared to defend themselves (potentially referred to as the forming of a militia).

Maybe in theory; however, in reality I'm not sure how it will happen. As you stated, the distaste for firearms, IMO, will trickle over to the stance on the 2A; therefore, making it impossible to do both. Not arguing; just thinking out loud.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Maybe in theory; however, in reality I'm not sure how it will happen. As you stated, the distaste for firearms, IMO, will trickle over to the stance on the 2A; therefore, making it impossible to do both. Not arguing; just thinking out loud.

I disagree. It's possible to find something a person says distasteful, yet fully support their right to say it. Same for guns and 2A.